Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New Books for this Yom Tov

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:11 pm
Here's what I got so far (some of gifts, but yes I do spend way too much of my budget on books)

Four - Chaim Eliav
Survivor without a Number - Ruth Kusmierski (true story)
Ticket to Life - Esther Tokayer
Sunshowers (true story)
The Ribnitzer Rebbe (biography)
Freedom of Choice - Devora Rand
Secret Summer - M.C. Millman -hysterical as usual
Domino Effect - Rochel Braverman (was serialized in Circle - yes, I read teen lit)
Tomorrow - Shuli Mensh
Inspired - Binyomin Pruzansky

did not get:
Homebound - Tzippy Kestenbaum I read pretty recently as a serial
Normal Like Me - Ruti Kepler ditto
(both very interesting though)

Of course almost nothing left, please make suggestions!

Thinking about:
Mega Mind M. Safra (sounds ilke it's for kids)
Good Better Best - Rebbetzin Feldbrand - about cheshbon hanefesh, probably not relaxing?
Name the Stars - Penina Weiser -about survivors who go to Eretz Yisroel. Sounds interesting but if it puts down "Tzionim" I wouldn't want to read it
B'ikvos Es'halech Hebrew [Paperback] - Aharon Margoliot - recounting the ripple effects of Aaron Margolit’s profound influence on other people.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:12 pm
I just read Name the Stars and found it rather childish (or maybe for a teen).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:18 pm
Quote:
I just read Name the Stars and found it rather childish (or maybe for a teen).
Well, thanks for that info. I don't really mind buying things that the DGC will enjoy.

I am just very wary of something that is critical of any group of Jews, which discussions of the early Medinah can be. What do you say about that aspect?

whewpy

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:24 pm
Wow! Good for you. Stupid question maybe, but where do you put all those books afterwards?

No help for ur question, though. I only bought homebound and enjoyed it immensely

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:25 pm
Quote:
where do I put all those books afterwards?
It's takeh a problem. But my married kids come with their kids and borrow after I read them, so a lot are out.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:44 pm
I just heard about a new book that came out- called Everyone Is Entitled To My Own Opinion by Avraham Gindi- it is a compilation of Rabbi Orlofsky's speeches, and I heard it is light, enjoyable, funny and imparts meaningful lessons. I really want to get it- sounds like a perfect read for over Yom Tov or Shabbos. Looking forward to that one!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:57 pm
I bought Normal Like Me and am saving it for second days. I loved it when I read it as a serial and can't wait to read it straight through in one go!

I didn't actually see much that interested me this yom tov, but I think it might be because the local bookstore stopped carrying a lot of the new releases (I'm OOT so don't have alternatives except online, and I prefer to skim through to see what I'm buying).

Any new releases that are biographies (not Holocaust ones and not of Gedolim) or somewhat realistic novels?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:01 pm
After we pass our novels around then we either donate them or sell them to jewish used books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room