Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freeze chicken soup

boat

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:27 pm
I usually make fresh chicken soup but now with the crazy schedule I need to do some advance prep.

What's the best way to freeze chicken soup? Throw away veggies and chicken? Will it get soggy/mushy if frozen?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:29 pm
Freeze just the broth.

If you want to keep the vegetables, you can saute onion and garlic then add the cooked veggies with water, heat through, season and blend for a separate veggie soup.

boat

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:44 pm
Thanks.
What about the chicken, throw away?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:49 pm
I make a thick chicken soup by taking the veggies out, blending them in a Ninja blender, and then stirring them back into the broth. It freezes well. But I do not blend or freeze the chicken meat.

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 2:44 am
boat wrote:
Thanks.

The vegetables I don't freeze, the chicken I sometimes do and it comes out fine. I freeze chicken soup all the time. This entire yt I'm serving chicken soup out of the freezer. I also find, in general with soups, that if you defrost it in a pot/stovetop it tastes just as delicious v. Defrosting it in the microwave.

Yummymummy3

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:52 am
I often freeze chicken soup. I freeze it together with all the veg and chicken.
The carrots do get soggy but I don't mind. The other veg and chicken are fine.

Surrendered

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:08 am
I freeze the soup in pans! and pile it one one top of another (with lid or silver foil).
When needed, I defrost the pan right on the flame for about 10 minutes and presto- ready delicious chicken soup instantly.
I use the half of 9×13 size or narrow long (challah pans).
It's so convenient and efficient.

I do freeze chicken bottoms and all vegetables in the soup. It's still very tasty.

Great tip:
When you put chicken soup in fridge overnight, it will have a layer of fat upon removing.
So before placing it in fridge, just put a plastic bag in top of the soup, the entire fat will go onto the bag and the soup will be clear!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:25 am
I freeze soup in containers all the time. I only freeze the soup (without the chicken or vegetables).
I serve with knaidlach or thin noodles and croutons.
(You can serve the soup, chicken and veggies as a meal the night you make it fresh.)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:03 am
I usually make a big pot of soup, but the technique is the same even for one or two rounds.
Once the soup is cool I pour it into containers (e.g. 5 weeks), distributing the vegetables and chicken. No one here minds soggy vegetables.
The next day I skim the fat and freeze. Reheats wonderfully.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:56 am
boat wrote:
Thanks.

If you don't have use for the chicken, use chicken bones.

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:48 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you don't have use for the chicken, use chicken bones.

I have an aunt that claims making chicken soup with only bones is much tastier. Happens to be, when I make a 20qt pot I only use bones. Lots of it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:53 am
tweety1 wrote:
I have an aunt that claims making chicken soup with only bones is much tastier. Happens to be, when I make a 20qt pot I only use bones. Lots of it.

I use bones, including turkey bones. Sometimes I'll put in chicken and/or turkey pieces. And I also put in gizzards.
I put the bones in mesh bags.

renslet

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 2:52 pm
I freeze soup, and knaidelach separately. The veggies get soggy so I usually take the out, the chicken I freeze and after a few batches I chop it up and fry onions with it and make it for dinner

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:39 pm
I make a giant pot that summers from morning to night. Then I strain and freeze the broth in 32 oz containers. Veggies I toss since all their flavor went into the broth. The chicken I separate and shred the meat and freeze in broth in smaller containers, perfect for the soup when I’m ready to use. To use frozen broth I defrost a bit or run covariant we under water then reheat on stove top with a little water (broth is very concentrated from having been cooked for 12+ hours) and I add fresh onions, carrots, celery and whatever other veggies would be good. I add either the frozen shredded soup chicken or a fresh cutlet as well to add protein. Kneidlach I cook in a separate pot and they get added to soup bowls individually when I serve at the seuda. Leftover kneidlach freeze amazingly.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:34 pm
I freeze the whole gesheft together, but I don’t put potatoes in my soup. The veggies get soft but so what? I don’t like hard veggies, and after the soup spends all Friday night on the blech the veggies are going to be so soft that the freezing doesn’t materially change anything.

strawberry cola

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:02 pm
I like to freeze my soup in Ball Jars, rather than plastic containers. Just leave room at the top for expansion, otherwise it may crack.
I leave the carrots in- they do get a little soft, but it's fine.
I generally use bones, which I discard after cooking. If I use chicken legs, I remove the chicken and make something else with it- croquettes, chicken salad, chicken a la king.

devorah1231

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:46 pm
We prefer the taste of frozen soup. Tip, if you are freezing for Shabbos, our Rav said it needs to be completely defrosted before Shabbos, and then I sometimes forget to shut it before it starts to boil away. So When I transfer to the pot, I add an inch or so of water to the container and add to pot to keep the level the same. Doesn't detract from flavor at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen