Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Would you name baby in memory of a victim of terroris attack
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:51 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I have been told that hashkafically you are not supposed to name after someone who was tragically killed not by natural causes. I would ask my LOR before naming after a terror victim

most people add a name like Chaim or Alte or Chaya or Brocha.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:03 pm
essie14 wrote:
My entire family is named for people who died in the holocaust. What's the difference?

The only thing I can think of is that it's usually family members naming after someone killed in the Shoah.
With a terror attack, it seems more "random", for lack of a better word. They're not necessarily related or have a connection.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:08 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I have been told that hashkafically you are not supposed to name after someone who was tragically killed not by natural causes. I would ask my LOR before naming after a terror victim

My daughter and son in law were planning on putting his murdered sisters name and a middle name; their Rav told them instead to put the middle name as a first name and next his sister's name. The baby is known by her middle name.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:53 pm
Amother tangerine, can I get in touch with you?! I had an important question I'd been wanting to ask a member of your family for years already but had no way to really get hold of anyone. Pls drop me an email when you have a chance. MindyCL@gmail.com. No obligation, obviously.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:57 pm
There are two issues here, one social and one religious/hashkafic. From a social standpoint I absolutely would if I felt any sort of connection to the deceased, because I don’t believe that just because someone died young or violently, they don’t deserve to be memorialized. OTOH we do have that semi-religious taboo, so I would likely go with the standard compromise of adding “Chaim”. I don’t love the names Chaya or Alta so I’d go with something else, maybe Chava.

Shuly

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:35 pm
My whole family is named after people killed in the holocaust.
My parents were told that if the person died al kiddush Hashem you don't need to add a name and anyone who was killed just for being a Jew is considered to have died al kiddush Hashem.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:15 pm
I know many people names for Rav Moshe Twersky. Many hold that there is no need to add any other name when they were killed in a terrorist attack and there is no worry about Mazel at all. It isn't the same as dying in a random violent way that could be considered bad Mazel. Also many of those who died al kiddush HaShem did lead very wonderful lives with many accomplishments to be proud of and a legacy to continue. I think it's a zchos and my relative named after a Kaddosh I feel warm and fuzzy and happy about - a wonderful legacy to continue of a great person. It isn't random- it is showing all klal yisrael is connected.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Thank you FranticFrummie! Yortzeit time is approaching and that is always such a difficult time..

I was in 9th grade, will never forget it.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 5:59 pm
I honestly would not name for a random victim of terror. We name for family members who haven't been named for yet. Lo aleinu, but if a family member would be killed by terrorists then that would be a different story.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:13 pm
Tangerine, thinking of you and your family. (I'm not sure which sister you are, but I'm friends with one.)

May you celebrate the Bar Mitzvah together with your brother and sister-in-law in Yerushalayim.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:37 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
My brother amd sister in law were killed in a terrorist attack in India- they were the Chabad Shuchim there. Every one of my brothers/sisters has a child named after them and hundreds of unrelated people have been so inspired by them that they have named after them too. It's a tremendous zchus and I think that researching about the person is a wonderful thing. Every time I meet someone carrying my brothers name they want to hear more and more about him..it gives my parents so much strength..

Our first child, Gabi, is named after your brother. He was born in Shevat, so shortly after everyone around the world was hoping and praying for a different outcome. My husband spent many a shabbos meal at your brother and sister-in-law’s house when they lived in Israel, and he was moved by their gentleness and generosity of spirit. ❤️

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:50 pm
Mi keamcha Yisroel

#tearsandsniffles

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 9:13 pm
I have heard of adding a name when naming after someone who died in unnatural circumstances. Or at à young age.

I personally know someone who named their child after a family member that was killed. And this child was also killed at a young age. Now they add a name to anyone naming after. Either of those two.

It’s spooky and may be totally unrelated but it can be done either way.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:11 pm
Shuly wrote:
My whole family is named after people killed in the holocaust.
My parents were told that if the person died al kiddush Hashem you don't need to add a name and anyone who was killed just for being a Jew is considered to have died al kiddush Hashem.

This is an interesting point I haven't heard before.
My friend's brother was named for her grandfather who died very young of illness. Her brother died very young of illness too.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you consider naming your baby after someone who was killed during a terror attack (whether in Israel or an attack in another location?)

Would it make a difference to you if the victim was a baby?child? Teenager?young adult or older person?

Would you tell others that the name is in honor/memory of someone killed all Kiddish Hashem bc they were a jew or just say you like the name?

Would you tell your other children or that child how the person was killed?

Would you look up more information on the victim and learn where they were from? What charachteristics they had? What ambitions in life they had?

Would naming a child after a victim of terror be any different in significance than naming a baby after a young/old relative that was killed in the Holocaust?

In Israel this is unfortunately very common. The custom is to give a second hopeful name when naming after a person who died young our unnaturally.
A name such as Chaya Chayim but also names such as Yair Tuv Noga or Avichay (named after his father who was murdered while his mother was pregnant).
My brother is also named for a terror victim he has a second name that gives meaning, hope, life, to the first name.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:49 am
not quite the same but along the lines:

I named my children after relatives who were sent to gas chambers as young people/children.

im named after my grandfathers sister who was only 14 yeas old, my son is named after my greatgrandfather who was relatively young too. Two other children are named after survivors.
Every time I say their name it feels specia and I pray that their neshomes should have an alyah.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 1:59 am
Family is different: you have positive to counterbalance the tragedy

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:06 am
Thank you jetblack for posting that! I am touched to tears! Moisheles bar mitzvah is a huge milestone..hopefully his parents will be there physically with the coming of moshiach!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names