Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Justifiable to ask for a refund?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:09 am
When our family travels we always book 2 adjoining rooms. DH and I use 1, and the kids use the other. We arrived late last night at Hershey park because of the rain and were told that they accidentally gave the adjoining room away. They gave us 2 rooms on the same floor instead. It's not terrible but it's not what we reserved or paid for. Thoughts?

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:11 am
Absolutely! Which hotel chain?

singleagain

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:12 am
If you used both rooms. I can't see asking for a refund. But they should give you some discount or voucher for the inconveniences.

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:35 am
Was the value of the room down the hall the same?

If so, I'd say ask a shaila before asking a refund.

hello 1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:38 am
When you booked the room did they guarantee you adjoining?

Usually when I book hotel rooms they always say they can’t guarantee adjoining but will try.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:42 am
If not a refund, they should at least comp you something! Park tickets? Spa vouchers? Something

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:59 am
hello 1 wrote:
When you booked the room did they guarantee you adjoining?

Usually when I book hotel rooms they always say they can’t guarantee adjoining but will try.

Yes. We were told we'd get 2 adjoining rooms. The 2 rooms we ended up with are down the hall from each other and are the type of rooms we booked. I feel it's a little grub to ask for a full refund, but on the other hand hotels are big businesses and have no problem charging me $25 for a rollaway bed or $75 if I overstay checkout by an hour. They got it wrong and didn't give me what I booked. Truth is I'm to whimpy and don't have the guts to fight it in person. Also might be a chillul hashem. I'm gonna check out and go home and then fight for at least a discount.

hello 1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes. We were told we'd get 2 adjoining rooms. The 2 rooms we ended up with are down the hall from each other and are the type of rooms we booked. I feel it's a little grub to ask for a full refund, but on the other hand hotels are big businesses and have no problem charging me $25 for a rollaway bed or $75 if I overstay checkout by an hour. They got it wrong and didn't give me what I booked. Truth is I'm to whimpy and don't have the guts to fight it in person. Also might be a chillul hashem. I'm gonna check out and go home and then fight for at least a discount.

Right. I know these trips! I always say they’re not a vacation for us mothers but will iyh be wonderful memories for your family.

You can call After checkout or at checkout I would say that I was guaranteed... and I didn’t get it.. made my stay much more difficult not having adjoining... is there anything you can do. I would like to stay at this hotel again...

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:45 am
I find more success when I am there, prior to check out.
I would not ask for the room, but I would as to be comped the incidentals if there were any. Did you pay for a roll-away bed or late check out?
I never want a credit for a future stay, and they often do not want to return cash they already charged and were payed.

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:48 am
I think it's a little tough to ask for the refund after you used the room. A better time would have been during checkin. Keep going to a higher level person if you don't get satisfaction. You may get your discount if you are a big enough pest.

flmommy

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:50 am
You didn’t get what you reserved. I would be annoyed that my kids weren’t closer as it could be a safety concern. I doubt they will refund the room but they should give a discount. I also feel uncomfortable dealing with money. Is your DH better at it? If so have him ask. I do find it’s better to state what you are looking for rather then letting the hotel tell you what they can offer. Saying something like I appreciate you finding us a second room but what we reserved and needed was adjoining rooms. If you can please offer us a discount if so and so dollars or reimburse us for the rollaway beds it would be appreciated.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:56 am
flmommy wrote:
You didn’t get what you reserved. I would be annoyed that my kids weren’t closer as it could be a safety concern. I doubt they will refund the room but they should give a discount. I also feel uncomfortable dealing with money. Is your DH better at it? If so have him ask. I do find it’s better to state what you are looking for rather then letting the hotel tell you what they can offer. Saying something like I appreciate you finding us a second room but what we reserved and needed was adjoining rooms. If you can please offer us a discount if so and so dollars or reimburse us for the rollaway beds it would be appreciated.

My husband would have asked for a suite to be comped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics