Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which cities in USA have free schools like cleveland?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:17 am
Hi, I have a friend in cleveland and she said all jewish schools are 100% free.

Was just wondering what cities offer the same thing in the USA?

I had a guest past shabbos and he said he heard las vegas and milwaukee did that too.

banana123

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:27 am
I think Indiana does too.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:21 am
I live in Cleveland and am paying plenty in tuition! Do your research. Vouchers don't mean you get school for free.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, I have a friend in cleveland and she said all jewish schools are 100% free.

Was just wondering what cities offer the same thing in the USA?

I had a guest past shabbos and he said he heard las vegas and milwaukee did that too.

Only if you are under the income limit. It's not 100% free for everyone. Otherwise, you get a voucher and you pay the rest.

Cincinnati is the same.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 9:11 am
State of Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati...)
I think Indiana
Some type of voucher program in Milwaukee

Like p.p said, it is income based.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 9:18 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Only if you are under the income limit. It's not 100% free for everyone. Otherwise, you get a voucher and you pay the rest.

Cincinnati is the same.

This.

Basically: to participate in the voucher program, a school is required to accept the voucher as full tuition payment for families who fall under a certain income threshold. Families above the threshold can be required to pay more. You can qualify for a voucher through either income or geography, but qualifying for a voucher is separate from whether you qualify to be excused from paying anything above the voucher.

So in Cincinnati, full tuition is around $11K, and the voucher is a bit under $5K. My family qualifies geographically for vouchers, because the public school for which we are zoned is failing. However, our income is high, and therefore, we must pay the remaining $6K+ of the tuition for each child.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 9:25 am
Also, you should know that a lot of people in these communities bristle at the voucher programs being advertised as "free school" or "no tuition." The school and community are still paying the balance for educating each kid.

jeweled

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:25 am
Also be prepared to be denied the vouchers if you move solely for the vouchers I.e. moving without a job.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:32 am
just want to echo what others have said. its only free if you earn under a certain amount. how many children you have help determine that amount but the school has to eat the rest of the cost. If you want to move for more affordable tuition please come but please don't come with the plan that you won't have to ever pay tuition.

devash1

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:40 pm
jeweled wrote:
Also be prepared to be denied the vouchers if you move solely for the vouchers I.e. moving without a job.

Can you elaborate? I mean whenever you move to a new city it takes time to find a job.

Thank you for everyone else who responded as well

devash1

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:46 pm
Also can you clarify that Ohio and Indiana has the same exact government funding program. Meaning is one better than the other?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:54 pm
jeweled wrote:

What? I live in Cleveland and never heard of anyone being denied vouchers because they moved without a job. You will not be eligible if you move after the deadline. But the school cannot deny a family ed choice vouchers- it's a government benefit.

That being said, I will echo what many other posters have already said. Vouchers does not equal free tuition! My children are eligible for ed choice vouchers and we are paying the remainder of tuition.

devash1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:30 am
Is it true Cleveland doesn't offer for new students?
I was told this my Cleveland family

mirror

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:40 am
In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania the Chevra Kadisha uses the fees to fund the local schools. The local schools give very big breaks to families who need it, even bigger than Lakewood and Brooklyn. It's not free though.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:15 am
devash1 wrote:
Is it true Cleveland doesn't offer for new students?
I was told this my Cleveland family

Nope. Not true.

jeweled

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:37 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
What? I live in Cleveland and never heard of anyone being denied vouchers because they moved without a job. You will not be eligible if you move after the deadline. But the school cannot deny a family ed choice vouchers- it's a government benefit.

That being said, I will echo what many other posters have already said. Vouchers does not equal free tuition! My children are eligible for ed choice vouchers and we are paying the remainder of tuition.

I was told by people who live in Cleveland that the schools are now doing this...

jeweled

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:41 am
devash1 wrote:
Can you elaborate? I mean whenever you move to a new city it takes time to find a job.

Thank you for everyone else who responded as well

I think that's the point. If you move bc you have a job and then are looking for schools then the school will accept the vouchers. But if you move for the vouchers without a job I heard they won't necessarily accept your application.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:48 am
I may be wrong, but I thought Cleveland was based on where you lived--that's what a friend told me who was looking to move there and we were in the process of moving and she told me "be careful which address you look for". We ended up in South Bend, IN where it's-state-wide. Here in South Bend there are different levels of tuition-assistance, while it is income-based, there are several funding sources, and what we are paying is mostly for our preschooler b/c they are not "mandated" for school yet, but there is a lot of subsidy by the big Jewish-family owned business and they heavily support the school and a lot of the community mosdos.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:02 am
there's a difference between saying- I worked in x profession where I used to live and am looking for a job in that field vs was bouncing from job to job, don't really have any particular field I work in, was unemployed for the last two years and have a large family. I heard that I can get free tuition here so figured it's worth moving here and maybe I'll get a job. Better to be unemployed in OH then in NY. The second guy would probably be told to contact people who might have non degree jobs for him to see if something could be set up before the school will say sure we will sign up your kids.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:04 am
I believe Indiana is more "tiered" in terms of the vouchers, while ohio is two levels and that's it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics