Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Births
Name of new baby born, for payment
Previous  1  2

heidi

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:05 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Mazal tov! Please name your precious dd and then set up a go fund me if you need.

Wasn’t this a plot line on shtissel?

Yup
I think the name was Zelig

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:07 am
heidi wrote:
Yup
I think the name was Zelig

Yes! Lol. But it was this backwards scenario. An older woman put out an advertisement for couples who are having a boy and she would pay them to use the name. Many many couples turned up!

happyone

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:11 am
I dont know anyone offhand who would pay for the name, but I know a few that would pay any money in the world for a child.

sub

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:12 am
yes shtissel. And the reason was, she had no children of her own

ohmygosh

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:46 am
happyone wrote:
my sister did that. a great grandparent has an awful name. not one child was name after that person. her grandmother gave her a nice sum to give the name. fast forward 16 years . her child does not forgive her for "selling" the name noone else in the family wanted to give.

I don't blame her.

I don't think this is a good idea, OP. Kids want to know where their name comes from and want to hear it had meaning. Like another said, name your child with some significance to the name and find another way to get money. The whole scenario this way just sounds so yucky (For lack of a better word).

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:13 am
I don't have an issue with this.
I think it is commendable that you are looking to be resourceful rather than asking for tziddakka.
There is no reason to assume it will be an awful name.
When she is older, you can tell her-BH we were blessed with many children and we had the ability to name for the dead relatives prior to her birth. When you were born we had the zechus to name you after this wonderful woman , who was know for her xyz... who would not have been named for otherwise. What a beautiful gift.

Also, regarding food, irrelevant of cost,-if you are able to nurse, please do. Breast is best.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:19 am
ohmygosh wrote:
I don't blame her.

I don't think this is a good idea, OP. Kids want to know where their name comes from and want to hear it had meaning. Like another said, name your child with some significance to the name and find another way to get money. The whole scenario this way just sounds so yucky (For lack of a better word).

To be clear, this is not something I would ever do. But I don't really understand what everyone's up in arms about. Yes it seems kind of yucky but that's about it.

We have a VERY small family so none of my kids are named after anyone in particular, we just named them names we liked. So why is it so much worse to use a name you're getting paid to use?

Again, I wouldn't personally be comfortable with such an arrangement, but I don't see why it's such a no no honestly.

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:17 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
I don't have an issue with this.
I think it is commendable that you are looking to be resourceful rather than asking for tziddakka.
There is no reason to assume it will be an awful name.
When she is older, you can tell her-BH we were blessed with many children and we had the ability to name for the dead relatives prior to her birth. When you were born we had the zechus to name you after this wonderful woman , who was know for her xyz... who would not have been named for otherwise. What a beautiful gift.

Also, regarding food, irrelevant of cost,-if you are able to nurse, please do. Breast is best.

I can't love this post enough. Every word of it.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:27 am
No batya esther- Fed is best.
OP I don't have any knowledge of this practice, but I wish you nachas from your babies & parnassah tova!

egam

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:05 am
heidi wrote:
If this isn't the time to say it I don't know when is
BIRTH CONTROL

No. This is not the time. You don’t know a squat about the family or their circumstances when the child was conceived. They could’ve been the second to Bill Gates at the time. Or their BC failed or many other things.

OP. I wish that the things turn around for you bekorev mamesh and Mazal Tov on the little one.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:11 am
My first thought was, someone’s been watching Shtisel.

OP, it’s fine. You are not doing anything wrong.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics