Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Ginger-Soy Chicken Thighs with Scallion Rice

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:11 am
This was very easy and very good. I have a very similar recipe which uses raspberry preserves instead of ginger preserves to make the pan sauce which I used to make a lot. If you want more sauce you can increase the sauce components but this is not meant to be chicken swimming in sauce.

Ginger-Soy Chicken Thighs with Scallion Rice

Excerpt From: The Editors of Cooking Light. “Cooking that Counts: 1,200- to 1,500-Calorie Meal Plans to Lose Weight Deliciously.

407 TOTAL CALORIES

Hands-on: 18 minutes

Total: 18 minutes Serves: 4 (serving size: 2 thighs, about ½ cup rice, and about 1½ tablespoons sauce)

If you can’t find ginger preserves, you can substitute ½ cup apricot preserves plus 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger.

1 (3½-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 (2-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
½ cup ginger preserves
2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced

1. Prepare the rice according to the package directions. Drain; fluff the rice with a fork. Gently stir in the green onions.

2. While the rice cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add the chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from the pan; keep warm. Add the preserves, soy sauce, and garlic to the pan; bring to a boil. Cook the sauce 2 minutes or until reduced to ⅓ cup, stirring occasionally. Return the chicken to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve the rice with the chicken.

CALORIES 355; FAT 7.8g (sat 1.6g, mono 3.8g, poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 25g; CARB 47g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 26g (est. added sugars 26g); CHOL 94mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 366mg; CALCIUM 18mg

Serve with:

• ½ cup Cucumber-Peanut Salad (52 calories)

Cucumber-Peanut Salad

Combine 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber, ½ cup vertically sliced red onion, 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 2 teaspoons light brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts.

SERVES 4 (serving size: ½ cup): CALORIES 52; FAT 2.4g (sat 0.3g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 7g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 4g (est. added sugars 2g); CHOL 0mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 150mg; CALCIUM 18mg

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:33 am
Thank you for posting this recipe, it sounds amazing! I would make it with the apricot preserves + grated ginger because I don't have ginger preserves (I've never seen them actually what is the name of the kosher brand you use?) but I was wondering if you think it would work well with chicken breasts instead? I'm not a fan of dark chicken meat..

Thanks again-- you always post such delicious sounding recipes! Smile

Odelyah

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:36 am
I would also love to see the raspberry version you mentioned-- do you have a link by any chance? Smile

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:00 am
I have Duerrs which is a British brand.

I have made the raspberry version with chicken breasts but I will generally pound them down a bit to flatten and also it tenderizes the chicken a bit as well. You can also increase the sauce ingredients to get a bit more sauce but this isn't a braised type of recipe with lots of sauce - it is just a bit of sauce for flavor.

ETA - I probably need more sauce because my chicken cutlets are way more than 4 ounces each Very Happy so I adjust the sauce and other ingredients proportionately to reflect that I am using more than 1 pound of chicken for the four servings. Very Happy

Raspberry-Balsamic Glazed Chicken

Cooking Light

4 servings

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Combine thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to skillet; sauté 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserves, vinegar, and pepper, stirring constantly until the preserves melt. Spoon raspberry sauce over chicken.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:07 am
You didn't ask but I like to serve the raspberry version with a Wild Rice Salad from Silver Palate Cookbook - it's one of my perennial favorites - it's studded with raisins and nuts as well as savory like scallions. It's very festive but easy because you make ahead.

The Ginger version would I think go well with my favorite Fusion Salad which is a coleslaw with Asian flavors going on. Also easy because you make ahead and I use the bagged mixes rather than shredding cabbage. I just use srichacha for the hot sauce part. The honey roasted nuts are critical for the best result as they add a bit of sweetness. I usually chop the raisins a bit although one version I have uses currants but I don't generally have currants in my pantry. You might find that you need a bit more liquid but not too much because you don't want a sopping mixture. Like all coleslaws, it is best to make ahead so flavors can marry.

Fusion Coleslaw

Serves 4 to 6

3 cups shredded red cabbage
3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
3 small green onions, thinly sliced...
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
2 ½ teaspoons sugar
¾ teaspoon sambal oelek (see Kitchen Note)
1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated ginger
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ cup honey-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

1. Place red cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large bowl.

2. Combine sesame oil, vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, sambal oelek, ginger and salt in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning, adding more sambal oelek and salt to taste.

3. Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Add peanuts and raisins and toss again. Refrigerate, covered, to allow flavors to develop, 2 to 4 hours. Stir in sesame seeds just before serving, and serve chilled.

Times Kitchen Note: There are many hot chile pepper pastes used as table condiments in China and Southeast Asia; sambal oelek is the most common and most popular. Containing chiles, salt, vinegar and sometimes garlic and tamarind, the fiery paste gives food a powerful flavor boost.

From “The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook: Food To Live By” by Myra Goodman with Linda Holland and Pamela McKinstry

Odelyah

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:15 am
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to share all these wonderful recipes! I am so excited to try them!!

Have a great yomtov and a gut gebentsched yahr,
Odelyah Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey