Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
I don't want to cook again!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:27 pm
I'm tired of living in my kitchen Mad Mad Mad

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You're not the only one...

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:28 pm
So sorry, my dear. Can you make simpler meals? Next year, try to double recipes for RH and Shabbos Shuva so you can have a break now.
Hugs

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:31 pm
Can you supplement with buying some things?
Can family or guests help out?
Can you make some things ON the holiday to avoid having to make everything at once?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:35 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
So sorry, my dear. Can you make simpler meals? Next year, try to double recipes for RH and Shabbos Shuva so you can have a break now.
Hugs

I really don't overdo it and did double some recipes, but all of Yom Tov seems to revolve around food. And on other days, I'm busy with breakfast, lunch & supper around the clock with the kids out of school & the bochurim being home.

And when I do finally get to go out and meet some people, the discussions revolve around food too - what they've served, what they've eaten, what new recipes they've tried, what food is still in the freezer, their culinary successes or disasters, the plate arrangements, the table decor, dishes or plastic, and so on.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:36 pm
I don't want to eat again.

Well, I do. But we eat so much I seem to get so tired of food so quickly!

I have a lot of stuff in my freezer still so will try and get away without too much cooking tomorrow and sunday.

(famous last words)

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:38 pm
I’m in the same boat! I totally get it and feel the same way, and have to get my act together to menu plan for shabbos and the last days, then shopping list, then shop, and then cook. I’m drawing a mental block.. what’s an easy, but decent menu? Thanx!

meyerlemon44

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:43 pm
I totally get what you mean. I'm making a super light, simple dinner for Shabbos night and I'm excited for the light fare and limited cleanup.

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:01 pm
Do something different- dairy, sushi, pizza, Mexican, whatever feels different and appealing

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:02 pm
Same! Went all out for first days and still eating leftovers. Shabbos will be extra simple and not having guests for second days so we'll cook on chag and stick to basics.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I made doubles before the first days...

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:07 pm
Thank for good ideas. I’m actually having company. So, I can’t do the unconventional. Any menu ideas that are easy, and still would look and taste good. I don’t need to impress, but do need decent food to serve.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:17 pm
Brisket:

Slice onions and garlic, place in pan. Place brisket in pan. Rub w Montreal seasoning, brown sugar, olive oil. Cover. Bake @325 for 3 hrs. (Recipe from kosherlifehappywife)

Cornish hens (more festive and tastier than chicken):

Cut into quarters. Place sliced onion and garlic gloves around pan . Season hens w salt pepper garlic powder paprika, place in pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover and bake 300-325 for 4 hours, uncover so it can brown a little bit.

Or even easier: cover hens with duck sauce. Bake at 350 for 45 min covered, 45 min uncovered (BY cookbook).

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Me too!
I Ran out of side dishes for second days and decided I’m NOT spending the whole chol hamoed in the kitchen.
So I ordered today from a local caterer!
Side dishes are the most time consuming to prepare and Cheapest to buy.
So proud of myself.
Had a beautiful day with DH and the kids at Lazer Tag! Very Happy

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:54 pm
I'm so done. Whatever else is needed I feel like I should just make fresh in the crockpot day of. Sick of makeup for 2 days too. I'm going to be bare and air out.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
all of Yom Tov seems to revolve around food.

True. Its work to let go of this food objectification.

For breakfast, I serve once, when dh is home from shzcharis. Afterwards, I keep oatmeal, bread, coffee, hot water. Some hard boiked. eggs, and hot cocoa out for DIY.

I find shiurim and good music helps me let go of that stuff, as well as taking some time by myself. Tomorrow, friday am, DH takes the kids out and I stay home. I try to minimize the chit chat because if it's not food, its clothes. Not for me.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:22 pm
I don’t want to either, and I didn’t even cook for first days!

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:40 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Thank for good ideas. I’m actually having company. So, I can’t do the unconventional. Any menu ideas that are easy, and still would look and taste good. I don’t need to impress, but do need decent food to serve.

I do the unconventional with guests but if you want to be more traditional here are ideas: butternut squash soup, ribs, mashed potatoes and roasted green beans for one meal,

grilled chicken, taco salad, quinoa, roasted zucchini with sweet potatoes

Chicken soup and unstuffed cabbage for one meal

Brownies and blondies and fruit for dessert

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:40 pm
I'm also DONE. For this Shabbos I'm cooking three things: chicken soup, noodles to go with the soup so that it's a full meal, and chulent for lunch. That's it. After all that eating, there really isn't a need for more food than that anyway.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:18 pm
tichellady wrote:
I do the unconventional with guests but if you want to be more traditional here are ideas: butternut squash soup, ribs, mashed potatoes and roasted green beans for one meal,

grilled chicken, taco salad, quinoa, roasted zucchini with sweet potatoes

Chicken soup and unstuffed cabbage for one meal

Brownies and blondies and fruit for dessert

Love this! Gonna take a screenshot to save for shabbos/future yom tov
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics