Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What temperature is cold enough to start wearing fur coats?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 7:49 am
How cold does it have to be for you to wear a fur?

This ranges depending on how cold everyone gets, but on the average.

agreer

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 7:54 am
Low 30s

sequoia

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 7:58 am
I don’t think the damp coastal climate of NYC is suitable for a fur. Fur is good in dry cold. Here you’d be better off with a lightweight warm down coat that zips properly to protect against wind.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 8:20 am
sequoia wrote:
I don’t think the damp coastal climate of NYC is suitable for a fur. Fur is good in dry cold. Here you’d be better off with a lightweight warm down coat that zips properly to protect against wind.

I live on a block with 2 huge Shuls and many pass this block on their way to and from other huge Shuls. If I had a thousand for every frum woman wearing a fur coat in NY, Id be doing good.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 8:20 am
Fur makes people look fat, greedy, status conscious, and old (because no one young in the outside world wears fur anymore.) It is obtained by making animals suffer. It's totally different, in this respect, from eating meat.

No temperature in the US justifies wearing fur.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 8:26 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
(because no one young in the outside world wears fur anymore.)

Cant be true. Bloomingdales and Bergdorf Goodman, just to name 2 stores I can think of, are at the present time offering many fur coats and these coats are bought by the general population (no frum customers, their prices are way too high).

sequoia

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 8:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live on a block with 2 huge Shuls and many pass this block on their way to and from other huge Shuls. If I had a thousand for every frum woman wearing a fur coat in NY, Id be doing good.

Yeah, maybe they’re wearing it for fashion. But objectively it’s less comfortable than other options in our climate.

Fur is good for very calm, dry, frosty weather (like parts of Russia). A very continental climate, in other words. Here we have damp, humidity, high winds off the ocean, highly changeable weather even in winter... etc etc.

I own a fur from grandma. Never worn it. Not once.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 8:40 am
H&M is offering lots of faux fur options I consider it’s a place young (thin) ppl shop

B”H I live in Miami

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Cant be true. Bloomingdales and Bergdorf Goodman, just to name 2 stores I can think of, are at the present time offering many fur coats and these coats are bought by the general population (no frum customers, their prices are way too high).

"No one" may be a bit of an exaggeration, but fur has been declining in popularity in the US for years, especially among the young. There are fewer (non-frum) people buying luxury clothes and jewelry in general. For example, the diamond industry is shrinking. So yes, US farms still produce mink pelts but the trend is fairly flat, even with a growing US population. Non-frum, non-Kardashian-type millennials are much less likely to wear fur than previous generations did. Good.

Regarding Bloomingdales and Bergdorf Goodman: There are fewer luxury department stores, even in NYC, than there used to be. Even Barney's is probably going to close. And even among these stores, proportionally less floor space devoted to fur.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:35 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
"No one" may be a bit of an exaggeration, but fur has been declining in popularity in the US for years, especially among the young. There are fewer (non-frum) people buying luxury clothes and jewelry in general. For example, the diamond industry is shrinking. So yes, US farms still produce mink pelts but the trend is fairly flat, even with a growing US population. Non-frum, non-Kardashian-type millennials are much less likely to wear fur than previous generations did. Good.

Regarding Bloomingdales and Bergdorf Goodman: There are fewer luxury department stores, even in NYC, than there used to be. Even Barney's is probably going to close. And even among these stores, proportionally less floor space devoted to fur.

May I add Nordstrom to the list of stores selling fur (and btw opening a huge store in the middle of Manhattan, this month, if they didnt already)?

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/w.....00499

Btw does shearling count as a fur? Thousands are buying shearling coats. Is it less shameful if its less expensive? How about leather shoes and bags?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
May I add Nordstrom to the list of stores selling fur (and btw opening a huge store in the middle of Manhattan, this month, if they didnt already)?

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/w.....00499

Btw does shearling count as a fur? Thousands are buying shearling coats. Is it less shameful if its less expensive? How about leather shoes and bags?

Shearling (which as it happens, I don't wear) and leather shoes (which I do wear) are different in the following respects:

(1) Cows and sheep are not trapped in horrifically cruel circumstances to get their skins.

(2) The animals who are killed can be used for food (for humans or pets).

I do eat meat (beef, chicken, fish) as well as milk and egg products; I am by no means a vegan. At the same time, I am opposed to cruelty toward animals and toward waste. As Sequoia has pointed out, wearing fur is basically pointless against New York kind of cold. I think it's hard to argue that it makes people look thinner. So what's left as a reason to wear genuine fur is the need to impress others, and that's never been one of my values.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:13 am
Fur is very very heavy and warm. I only put on my mink when it’s 30s or below (December usually)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:34 am
Going off on a tangent, but I hope one day all the fur-hating, animal-sensitive liberals will hate and want to very severely punish the criminal animal-like element, killing and raping innocent humans, us, our relatives, friends and acquaintances, even more passionately than they want to punish fur wearers.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:39 am
sequoia wrote:
Yeah, maybe they’re wearing it for fashion. But objectively it’s less comfortable than other options in our climate.

Fur is good for very calm, dry, frosty weather (like parts of Russia). A very continental climate, in other words. Here we have damp, humidity, high winds off the ocean, highly changeable weather even in winter... etc etc.

I own a fur from grandma. Never worn it. Not once.

Can I have it?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Going off on a tangent, but I hope one day all the fur-hating, animal-sensitive liberals will hate and want to very severely punish the criminal animal-like element, killing and raping innocent humans, us, our relatives, friends and acquaintances, even more passionately than they want to punish fur wearers.

Out of curiosity, how do you think I'm punishing you, or wanting to punish you? Because I told you that fur makes people look old and plump? This is punishment?

Ha.

cream+sugar

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:47 am
For me, it’s when hell freezes over.

(No judgements, you do you.)

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:47 am
I proudly wear my furs on Shabbos and to simchas. My secular friends wear theirs weekday. I wear mine when it is freezing out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:52 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Out of curiosity, how do you think I'm punishing you, or wanting to punish you? Because I told you that fur makes people look old and plump? This is punishment?

Ha.

I wasnt addressing you, but arent there people who have thrown red paint on fur wearers?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasnt addressing you, but arent there people who have thrown red paint on fur wearers?

Yes, there are a handful of crazy PETA people, but those are a tiny, tiny minority of the many people who won't wear fur by choice. Most of us who don't wear fur will explain why if the topic comes up. But of course we wouldn't interfere with your right to wear fur.

This particular issue in particular puzzles me. As an example of another issue: I try to care for the environment, and therefore try to limit my use of one-time-use paper and plastic products, but I can understand why others choose convenience over care for the environment. Fur is puzzling, since it's expensive to buy, a pain to care for, and makes people look heavier. And now that it's really not worn by most young people, it's aging. So what's left is impressing others, and that just seems to me so silly -- and therefore puzzles me.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 11:16 am
There's nothing remotely fashionable about torturing and killing animals to rip the skin off their backs
just to throw over your own. And why do people deem it a Shabbos coat? Hmmm what shall I wear on the most holy day of the week? I know, a dead animals skin and fur. Its not only cruel and unnecessary, its the dreariest, most frumpy unflattering thing anyone can wear
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries