Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Is a woman supposed to shake lulav everyday?

flmommy

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:47 am
Title says it all.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:51 am
I don't believe she's supposed to but she can. With a bracha. So why not if possible. But you don't have to go to heroic measures if it's too much.
CYLOR.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:53 am
It's a mitzvah if she does. It's not a must.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:22 pm
with or without is a question to ask

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:20 pm
Ruchel wrote:
with or without is a question to ask

There's a shita not to say sefira without a bracha, but I never heard of daled minim without a bracha. (Not that my never having heard means anything, but because I heard of the first, I would have expected to hear of the second.)

goodmorning

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:51 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
There's a shita not to say sefira without a bracha, but I never heard of daled minim without a bracha. (Not that my never having heard means anything, but because I heard of the first, I would have expected to hear of the second.)

As a general rule, Sefardi women follow the psak of the Shulchan Aruch to do mitzvos asei shehazman grama without a bracha. Ashkenazi women follow the psak of the Rema to make a bracha.

OP, although women are exempt from arba minim as a mitzvas asei shehazman grama, there is a strong minhag for women to shake them nonetheless. Some hold that it since women accepted the mitzvah on themselves, it has become an obligation. If there is a practical reason why it is difficult for you, you may want to speak to a rav.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't believe she's supposed to but she can. With a bracha. So why not if possible. But you don't have to go to heroic measures if it's too much.
CYLOR.

How are heroic measures involved in Netilat Lulav? If you get the simplest set, it doesn’t break the bank, and it takes just minutes per day.

Now, eating in the Sukkah — that’s where heroic measures are involved if a woman takes it on herself to eat everything in the Sukkah.I would be grouchy if I had to starve at work, so since it isn’t a chiyuv for me, I eat some meals out of the Sukkah.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:07 pm
(Sefiras ha'omer has an additional reason to not make a bracha (in addition to the machlokes over making a bracha on a mitzvah that you are not obligated in): the Mishna Berura writes that women are liable to forget one night of counting. According to the opinion that all 49 nights are one mitzvah, that would retroactively make the previous nights' brachos into brachos livatala. No such fear exists for arba minim, obviously; hence, Ashkenazi women generally make brachos on arba minim but may not for sefiras ha'omer.)

iyar

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Im going to guess you didn’t hear of the second because you and your family are not Sephardim.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:56 pm
goodmorning wrote:
As a general rule, Sefardi women follow the psak of the Shulchan Aruch to do mitzvos asei shehazman grama without a bracha. Ashkenazi women follow the psak of the Rema to make a bracha.

OP, although women are exempt from arba minim as a mitzvas asei shehazman grama, there is a strong minhag for women to shake them nonetheless. Some hold that it since women accepted the mitzvah on themselves, it has become an obligation. If there is a practical reason why it is difficult for you, you may want to speak to a rav.

Good point. And this Ashkenazi woman's father told his daughters to count sefira without a bracha so I assumed if there was something similar re Succos I'd have heard. Sorry to have forgotten Sefardim.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:02 am
There's definitely a minhag not to say the bracha if you do the lulav. LOL "sefardim" are a big majority in many places... I'm not, but I still know a bit and they definitely don't do the bracha unless they are mekareved

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:31 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
How are heroic measures involved in Netilat Lulav? If you get the simplest set, it doesn’t break the bank, and it takes just minutes per day.

Now, eating in the Sukkah — that’s where heroic measures are involved if a woman takes it on herself to eat everything in the Sukkah.I would be grouchy if I had to starve at work, so since it isn’t a chiyuv for me, I eat some meals out of the Sukkah.

One scenario: Husband went straight to work from shul, doesn't come home till after shkia. Mother will have to pack up all the kids, walk down five flights to neighbor. Not based on my reality, just something I'm imagining. That kind of thing, re heroic measures.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:32 am
iyar wrote:
Im going to guess you didn’t hear of the second because you and your family are not Sephardim.

Yup.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 11:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
One scenario: Husband went straight to work from shul, doesn't come home till after shkia. Mother will have to pack up all the kids, walk down five flights to neighbor. Not based on my reality, just something I'm imagining. That kind of thing, re heroic measures.

Not based on your reality, but based on my reality, growing up, and more so, my mother's reality! (Though thankfully not now, when we have a sukkah on the deck.) Good point. Interesting how quickly we forget and get used to an easier lifestyle

amotherof3

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:21 pm
flmommy wrote:
Title says it all.

Only on Sukkos. Some machmirim do it all year but not in my circles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics