Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Side vegetable dishes with cholent

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:06 pm
When I serve cholent for just my family, I accompany it with a simple vegetable salad.

is it okay to do this when I have company? I can make two salads, or three if necessary. But I'm wondering whether people will be expecting to have a cooked vegetable dish as well.

Signed, someone who has very little time today to cook.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:12 pm
Cholent is a very filling dish, so assuming you are serving more than one course, I think one salad is more than enough.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:15 pm
I prefer fresh salads with cholent, since cholent is heavy enough. Make 2 or 3.

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:15 pm
Cholent and a salad sounds fine for the main course.
I serve kishka and or kugel on the side as well which makes the meal a bit fuller.

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:22 pm
I get salads out right after the dips which are served right after challah is cut. I bring the fish out immediately. After the fish is cleared, we serve deli with chulent. There are no sides.

cbg

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:26 pm
Can you make a veggie quiche/ kugel
with 1 nice green salad
I think it would be nice and light and I would eat that and forgo the cholent all together.
But I live in a hot climate.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:08 pm
There's a reason to make cholent, so I'm making cholent. I am starting out with a roasted salmon and smoked salmon course, and I will have chicken on the table along with a huge cholent pot, so no one will be hungry. I was just worried about balancing out the cholent. I think I'll go with three salads.

Thanks!

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:10 pm
Sounds great

penguin

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:27 pm
A couple of things you can do for variety -
- wrap a whole sweet potato in foil or parchment paper & submerge in cholent
- sometimes I would put some fresh or frozen baby carrots in a parchment pouch, with a sprinkle of coconut sugar & cinnamon (maybe also cloves etc)
- cauliflower in a mesh cooking bag
- I think chickpeas can be done in a bag too (never done it so not sure if raw or cooked, they would take a lot of water)

If you don't have kishke in the freezer, or a few extra pieces of potato or lokshen (wrapped & put on top of cholent) there's an easy recipe that involves flour, oil, sugar & onion powder. It's just a super-easy kishke. Unfortunately I haven't made it in ages so I can't give you a recipe. I don't know if anyone does that anymore...

But honestly none of the above are necessary. I am sure you have plenty.

ddmom

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:33 pm
Squishy wrote:
I get salads out right after the dips which are served right after challah is cut. I bring the fish out immediately. After the fish is cleared, we serve deli with chulent. There are no sides.

I do the same. Usually vegetable platter with chummus and a few salads! Sometimes fish ,sometimes grilled chicken cut up on top of salad.
Deli optional. I sometimes don't serve anything beside for chulent!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus