Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's with dips?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:28 pm
What is with the dips and dip course?
Did not grow up with it and my community doesn't seem to serve.
It sounds like a lot of extra challah, mayo, work and expense.

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:31 pm
My family doesn't really do fish anymore. So when we have guests, we bring out dips instead

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:40 pm
I’m 1000000% with you

Challah dipped in mayo. Challah challah challah

Who needs it?

I don’t believe in dips.

flmommy

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:41 pm
We do dips with the fish course. Do some people serve dips before? Anonymous because someone might recognize me because I serve dips. 😉

Ihatepotatoes

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:44 pm
Dips were an invention created by the bakery cartel in order to sell more challah, It started with tomato dip and Chummus, then evolved into mayo dip with slight flavorings, masquerading as "Dill dip", or "Mushroom dip" for example. If you really don't want to spend the ultra-insane, ever-increasing prices, you could always make your own. Just take a "Zshuzsher" (blender) and blend your own favorite flavors.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 1:49 pm
I grew up not frum but my grandmother was kosher-ish. Every shabbos dinner had challah and margarine for spreading. I have such warm memories of our elderly cousin spreading everyones challah. This was 30 years ago.

Chips or other crunchy things and dips are a huge party food so I dont think its so different then challah and dips. My mother always served spreads at parties.

For me, I dont like plain bread so I love dips. If you dont like them dont serve.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:01 pm
The way I see it, if the challah is delicious, it doesn't need to be masqueraded with dip. Jmvho

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:05 pm
I am gluten free for health reasons and challah and dips is like #1 that I miss. (hummus, babaganoush, tomato/pepper dips aren't on my diet either, let alone mayo)

ddmom

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:06 pm
Very enjoyable and unfortunately very unhealthy!
We love hummus,olive dip, eggplant dip, matbucha...
When I watch what I eat, I usually try to cut down on the dips!

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:07 pm
It is a newish phenomenon(last 25 years). The idea actually is adopted from Israel where charif and Salatim are served as part of the seuda.
It was Americanized with a much larger assortment of dips and it turned into a business venture.
I stopped serving fish. My family enjoys the dip and challah instead. I make both the challah and dips myself but in all honesty (my DH agrees with me ) it’s very unhealthy. But it became the favorite part of the meal. So I haven’t stopped it. I limit four dips per meal so that it doesn’t get too crazy.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:08 pm
Sometimes when I want to be lighter I serve the dips with rice cakes and veggies and not challah.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:13 pm
I serve one or two dips per meal and serve the fish as soon as we wash. Otherwise the challah becomes a course in itself and we eat waaay too much. If we start eating the fish right away, we don't eat that much challah and the dips are delicious with fish.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:20 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I’m 1000000% with you

Challah dipped in mayo. Challah challah challah

Who needs it?

I don’t believe in dips.

Chas v'shalom.
We don't "believe" in dips.

We believe in peanut butter. (Clap you hands!)

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:27 pm
I dont like mayonnaise or vinegar, so these salads and dips are not really my thing at all. But my husband loves that eggplant/onion/mayo dip and one of my kids likes the idea of dips, so I buy chummus, which I like. But we serve it with the challah and fish. I've been to many houses where they do challah and dips as its own course and THEN bring out fish. I dont get it.

honeymoon wrote:
I serve one or two dips per meal and serve the fish as soon as we wash. Otherwise the challah becomes a course in itself and we eat waaay too much. If we start eating the fish right away, we don't eat that much challah and the dips are delicious with fish.

I just assumed this was the way most people do it - serve the fish right after washing - until I saw that they dont.

nchr

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:28 pm
We do olive oil.

chestnut

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:30 pm
I like eating gefilte fish with dips, sometimes even salmon

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:47 pm
Thunderstorm explained it very well. A falafel platter with hummus, babaganush and/or some other sauce/s intended to be mopped up with pita is a common Israeli dish, on Shabbat, most Israelis get out of shul early and have kiddish and a light meal featuring cool foods like salads ( many of which are more like salsa than what Americans think of as “salad “). Then they’ll go for a long walk, and have the traditional fleishik Shabbat meal when they come back.

Historically this may date back to the early days of the State of Israel, when chicken and meat were scarce and people made do with more bread and vegetables. In Europe, especially in the north where the growing season is short, people relied far less on vegetables with the exception of root veggies, hence the prevalence of onions, garlic, carrots, beets and so on in those cuisines.

With the explosion of Israeli-style foods available in the US, and the culinary fashion for “lighter” eating, vegetarianism and veganism, the “challah and dips” trend is a natural.
Don’t feel obligated to follow the pack if you don’t like. The only distinct mitzvah is to have kiddish twice and to have three meals with two loaves at each meal. ( Even then, we’re lenient about the third meal and it can even be just mezonos rather than bread.) There is no mitzvah to have davka gefilte fish or cholent or salads or dips.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:49 pm
Anyone here remember when kiwi and quiche (not together) were all the rage? Fashions come and go in food as they do in clothing. You like it, do it. You don’t like it, give it a pass.

sub

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:57 pm
Try dipping Tzions cubanim or laffa with the dips
( for those who live in Boro Park)

honeymoon

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 3:04 pm
watergirl wrote:

I just assumed this was the way most people do it - serve the fish right after washing - until I saw that they dont.

I assumed the same until I got married and had to nibble a bunch of challah through the 'challah course' at my in-laws. When I finished my slice, the fish and dips would be served and I like to eat my fish with challah, so you get the picture..
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics