Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
How learned are you?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:26 am
My education was limited to my role as a wife (and of course I still learn every day). But I don’t think I’m “learned,” especially when I look at my husband. I have a deep resounding relationship to Hashem, and my daily life is fulfilled, but for all you out there, do you feel a lapse? Or do you not even have one, were you more broadly educated as well?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 12:32 pm
The answers are going to depend on where you grew up. A modern Orthodox school that teaches girls gemara can't be compared to a chassidishe school that doesn't use texts.

The implied second part of your question is whether being learned makes you more satisfied with your place in Judaism. Chances are that's more individual.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 7:24 pm
I graduated Bais Yaakov 50 yrs ago, never went to Seminary, bc very few went in those days. Yet I know at least as much as my daughters and nieces who all went to the best Seminaries. It's a matter of reading. Thank you Art Scroll!!

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:09 pm
I am way more learned than my husband, because I am more interested in learning. But I would not co sider myself "learned". As a giyoret, I feel constantly behind, knowledge-wise!

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:45 pm
I can quote from neviim, kesuvim, tens and tens of mussar seforim like kav hayashar,

chovos halvovos, chovos hatalmidim, menorash hameor, shaarei tshuva, many currrent

chasidish rebbes Torahs (which my son's bring home for me) ,Shvilei Pinchas (maamarim by

Rabbi Pinchas Friedman which is a likut on the parsha based on thoughts from Rishonim,

Achronm. niglah and nishtar), tanya, sefer hachinuch, midrash rabbah etc etc.

Thank you to my chasidish school who made us know sefer Hachinuch verbatim, Pirkei Avos with Bartenura verbatim, and cultivated a love of mussar and a love of chasidish Torahs.

Anyone out there who would like to learn with me every Wednesday night at nine, something like Tomer Devorah?

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:11 pm
If I remembered all that I was taught I would be, but I don’t remember even a tenth. Now that I’m older nothing sticks. We studied Sefer Tehillim in HS and then I learned it with a chavrusa a few years ago and when I look at the Sefer now it’s all new to me except the parts that are familiar from songs and davening. And even so I don’t remember what a lot of the words mean.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:13 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I can quote from neviim, kesuvim, tens and tens of mussar seforim like kav hayashar,

chovos halvovos, chovos hatalmidim, menorash hameor, shaarei tshuva, many currrent

chasidish rebbes Torahs (which my son's bring home for me) ,Shvilei Pinchas (maamarim by

Rabbi Pinchas Friedman which is a likut on the parsha based on thoughts from Rishonim,

Achronm. niglah and nishtar), tanya, sefer hachinuch, midrash rabbah etc etc.

Thank you to my chasidish school who made us know sefer Hachinuch verbatim, Pirkei Avos with Bartenura verbatim, and cultivated a love of mussar and a love of chasidish Torahs.

Anyone out there who would like to learn with me every Wednesday night at nine, something like Tomer Devorah?

Wow. What school was this?

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:15 pm
I wish I knew more.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:46 am
Pretty learned for me, not for the internet. Very happy with my place in Judaism until I find weird things online.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:37 am
Pretty learned!
I remember most of what I learned in HS and Sem, which includes Chumash and meforshim (yes I’m weird, I still remind which meforesh said what) Navi and meforshim
All the maamarei chazals that we had to memorize.
Whole hashkafa lessons, etc
I happen to have a good memory when it comes to school, although I’ve definitely forgotten things over time especially with each pregnancy, I’m not as quick and sharp as I Used to be
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics