Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Succos Calligraphy - amazing!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:02 am
Agree with you about the plagiarism accusations, unless you have absolute proof.

But. Nobody is forcing them to choose this field/career. If it's not worth it, then don't do it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If it's not worth it, then don't do it.

Which brings me right back to my point. Don't complain the lack of talent re frum fiction when all the writers get is pennies and bashing.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 10:47 am
I disagree. I pay for several magazine subscriptions. This is not a free service I'm getting and then criticizing. That would be tacky and rude, I agree.

I don't make the decisions on what to pay the writers. If they don't want to work for pennies, they don't have to.

I also am willing to bet there are different tiers. And the well known, excellent writers who are commissioned to write can demand a higher wage than the newcomer who is still working her way up.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 12:40 pm
This would actually make a great article

reader, why not contact the mag and ask them to forward a message to the writer (fax or email) and ask her --I'd suggest a more humorous approach than accusatory--and suggest she might want to write up how her story resonated so deeply that you thought it was true?

either you'll

1. discover she did write your life and then be able to express your shock and dissatisfaction

2. maybe get an article out of it

3. get a story to tell us imamothers plus other friends and family

WIN/WIN

(disclaimer I write for the mags)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

reader, why not contact the mag and ask them to forward a message to the writer (fax or email) and ask her --I'd suggest a more humorous approach than accusatory--and suggest she might want to write up how her story resonated so deeply that you thought it was true?

either you'll

1. discover she did write your life and then be able to express your shock and dissatisfaction

WIN/WIN

This is reminding me of the story about the two women with identical living rooms in one of the magazines.

Truth is stranger than fiction, and sometimes the same as fiction ;-D

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

either you'll

WIN/WIN

good idea

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 3:29 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I liked that a lot of the stories actually had endings as opposed to cliffhangers and abstract concepts

Then can you explain the story about the guy whose brother was born disabled and his son was too shy about crowds to have a bar mitzvah? It didn't realy seem to have a conclusion What

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:03 pm
Mama bear-
That was a great read!

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Then can you explain the story about the guy whose brother was born disabled and his son was too shy about crowds to have a bar mitzvah? It didn't realy seem to have a conclusion What

yes! leah gebber's story. I was so confused by it.
I think the conclusion I drew from it was that you can't use your children to feed / satisfy your own inner child. Chanoch l'naar al pi darko.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:21 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Mama bear-
That was a great read!

I agree! Mama Bear I enjoyed the article very much.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:28 pm
Great writing Mama Bear! Got to your article over shabbos.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:30 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Mama bear-
That was a great read!

thanks Smile

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:40 pm
Loved your article, Mama Bear! Bought the mishpacha on Friday...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:46 am
Mama Bear wrote:
yep!

I knew it right away. Guessed it, then checked the author's name Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:54 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

I thought in the end, the son figured out how to make it work by reading straight from the Torah in shul, instead of practicing? My memory is hazy though.

sushilover

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 10:32 am
Laiya wrote:
No, it was wrong that he didn't write it. Not calling out bad behavior causes the chillul Hashem to increase. Gah that story got to me!

OK, I know the author probably meant to show that it is praiseworthy to give up your anger, but I interpreted it in a totally different way. I saw it as a story portraying the dangers of giving up and giving in too much, especially to a narcissist. At first it started small. The main character watching his mother not saying anything as his uncle stepped all over her. The mother giving up the menorah her children should have gotten as a yerusha...
Then we can see the main character changing, losing his any semblance of healthy boundaries, and -most realistically with anyone in a relationship with a narcissist- he is losing his own individuality and self definition. He quietly accepts his firing. He doesn't defend himself when the tzedaka organization accuses him of lying when they think his uncle is supporting him. Why didn't he explain that he's not being supported? The story ends with him losing his last bit of integrity- by tearing up his article that would have exposed his uncle as the two- faced manipulator that he is.

When you think about it that way, it really is a brilliant story and truly shows what it is like being in a relationship with a narcissist. They have a gift of being able to chip away at one's self esteem until their victim is left with nothing but crippling self- doubt.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 3:42 pm
I'm sure that the Down syndrome article was a coincidence in terms of similarity to real life.

About a year ago I read a story in the Ami Succos magazine about a broken engagement and it sounded so much like my own (cheapskate fiancé that would browse for hours in a flea market close to Shabbos, no engagement ring except for a piece of garbage bracelet) ... but I don't know any of the writers and even if I did, a lot of the details were so personal that no one would know them. I just concluded that this other person, somewhere out there, went through the exact same truly bizarre life experience that I did. It does happen.

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:56 pm
In the story, where the couple who was going for their divorce & got stuck in same elevator, I couldn't figure out end! She ends off, she will stay strong for kids, does that mean she will stick to her guns or does she realize that what her husband wants, is for the benefit of the kids?

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:59 pm
Dina Neuman, did it again in her awesome style, the story about the mixed up shidduch!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:00 pm
dankbar wrote:
In the story, where the couple who was going for their divorce & got stuck in same elevator, I couldn't figure out end! She ends off, she will stay strong for kids, does that mean she will stick to her guns or does she realize that what her husband wants, is for the benefit of the kids?

To me it seemed like she realized her husband was right and was going to give in, but when it actually came down to it, she became stubborn once again. Did I understand it correctly?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room