Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Anyone try the "sleeve" weight loss surgery?
1  2  Next

rochelp

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 11:54 pm
Can anyone tell me any info about the sleeve weight loss surgery

CPenzias

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:46 pm
Bump

amother
White

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:46 pm
My sister in law did it. It's not easy. You also need to change your lifestyle completely.
She didn't really, and gained back a lot since.
I believe there's a WhatsApp or Facebook group for this.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:04 pm
Did the sleeve nine years ago. Lost 80 lbs and have maintained the loss ever since, including through three pregnancies.
Feel free to ask questions, but I can only answer later. Need to log off now and get busy!

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:17 pm
I did it almost 7 years ago. I lost about 100 lbs, and gained back 15 over the last two years. It's not a quick fix. Well, it is. Then, after the first 5 years you have to diet and have self-control...which I don't, hence the weight gain. I dont want to see
If I had the choice to do it over, I would do it again. There was no throwing up and BH I don't have difficulty with any single food.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:32 pm
I had the gastric bypass 5 and a half months ago. It’s a bigger surgery but you don’t gain back as quickly as you would with the sleeve. That being said, you still need to change your lifestyle if you want it to work. So far I am down 87 lbs. since May.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:33 pm
I did it almost 7 years ago. I lost close to 100 pounds and felt great. Then I developed gallstones and needed to remove the gallbladder. Same surgeon removed it a few months ago and I am still in pain. He wants me to go for pain management but I am scared and dont really want to do anything. I will maybe go for a second opinion to see what is wrong and why I still have pain. I also started eating carbs and gained back about 20 pounds and am having a hard time losing it again, plus I keep gaining. The surgery was not worth it for me but everyone is different. If you do it then make sure to never eat carbs again and ask about gallstones or other problems and how to prevent them from happening. Good luck!

nicole81

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:06 pm
I admin kosher sleevers on Facebook for anyone who wants to join...

I had the vsg done over 5 years ago. I lost 140 lbs and actually became too thin, so I've instead be maintaining about a 125-130 pound lost since gaining to a healthy weight. I've maintained this through having 2 children since as well.

I've definitely had my fair share of complications with it (gallbladder surgery within the first year, malnourishment, debilitating reflux) so it's not easy. But I think living morbidly obese for all these years would have been much harder.

I knew I was ready to succeed when I began looking into the surgery. I already had the right habits and I followed my surgeons orders to a T, before and after surgery, and even 5 years post op. Statistics show that most people have significant regain, but even so, the risks of obesity related conditions decreases. So it pretty much is a good decision to have to surgery for most people. And if you're ready to change your eating habits for life and know you can stick to it, good look; you should be most successful.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:09 pm
I am not op, but I've started several threads on this topic and have not gotten answers....

So I hope op that you don't mind if I ask here. Can those of you who've done it, when writing about you experience and whether it was successful, can you please write who did it and where you had it done?

Thanks!

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:44 pm
Im the one who had the bypass, not the sleeve. I used Dr. Sadek’s group in RWJ and was very happy with them. They do both procedures and in terms of recovery they are pretty similar, it’s just a matter of which one you want to do.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:54 pm
Another question:
I posted upthread, have maintained weight loss for nine years now. My Dr then advised me to avoid carbonated beverages, which I have. I love seltzer though, and miss it!
I haven't heard from any other sleevers that they were told this.
Anyone knows about this?

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:03 pm
I'd really like to get more info about how the sleeve affects pregnancy & would appreciate if people would share their experiences.
I'm seriously considering but heard a couple of horrific stories that scare me.
Thanks!

amother
White

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:11 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Another question:
I posted upthread, have maintained weight loss for nine years now. My Dr then advised me to avoid carbonated beverages, which I have. I love seltzer though, and miss it!
Anyone knows about this?

Yep my sister in law was told this as well.

nicole81

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:16 pm
Another question:
Anyone knows about this?

I haven't touched a carbonated beverage since the surgery.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:21 pm
Almost everyone that gets teh sleeve needs their gallbladder removed a few months later. The body has a hard time with such rapid weight loss. I do know people personally who are now underweight with no appetite (and they look awful, like holocaust survivors) because something about the sleeve affects the hormones of appetite (I'm not sure how it works, but I know there's a relationship). My point is it's definitely not a quick fix or all glamorous.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:23 pm
I just googled this, and some sites say that this recommendation is obsolete. Some sites mention that the updated diet protocol allows for sparkling water.
Will keep off seltzer anyway, unless I hear from a good source that it's ok

nicole81

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:23 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I'd really like to get more info about how the sleeve affects pregnancy & would appreciate if people would share their experiences.
I'm seriously considering but heard a couple of horrific stories that scare me.
Thanks!

I had no issues with my pregnancies. I did lose too much weight after my first post sleeve birth and had to stop nursing at 6 months due to my own malnutrition and weakness, but I had no issues the second time and am still nursing him at 18 months and bh easily maintaining a healthy weight.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:25 pm
Another question:
Anyone knows about this?

You cant drink carbonated beverages after the sleeve. I am surprised your dr didnt tell you that right away.
You can flavor your water but I dont know how that would work with seltzer since there is no flavor. This cherry cola flavor has been a lifesaver-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-.....=true

They also have root beer but I didnt like it, maybe you will have a different experience-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-B.....=true

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
You cant drink carbonated beverages after the sleeve. I am surprised your dr didnt tell you that right away.
You can flavor your water but I dont know how that would work with seltzer since there is no flavor. This cherry cola flavor has been a lifesaver-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-.....=true

They also have root beer but I didnt like it, maybe you will have a different experience-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-B.....=true

Whoops, wrote that too quickly, and phrased it unclearly.
Dr did advise me then- that is, at time of procedure.

Thanks for the links! Looks interesting!

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:42 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Almost everyone that gets teh sleeve needs their gallbladder removed a few months later. The body has a hard time with such rapid weight loss. I do know people personally who are now underweight with no appetite (and they look awful, like holocaust survivors) because something about the sleeve affects the hormones of appetite (I'm not sure how it works, but I know there's a relationship). My point is it's definitely not a quick fix or all glamorous.

What about if my gallbladder was already removed?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise