Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tragedies and boating

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:05 pm
The latest tragedy, an 8 yr old boy r"l who was niftar after his family's boat overturned (all occupants wore life jackets), has me wondering:
Is it better to take the kids on such trips and try to teach them the skills needed (I don't have these skills myself, I would need to learn), so that when their camps go on trips they'll be prepared? Or better to avoid this trips altogether and hope for the best when camps go on trips (of course teaching them to swim, and going over basic safety rules)?
Hashem should keep klal Yisroel safe and bring Moshiach now!

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:14 pm
Of we dont know details, what will you train your kids in? Was it a faulty life jacket? Lack of swim skills? Regular swim skills but needs advanced swim skills? Getting caught under boat? Panicking?
Its so tragic and scary.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:34 pm
As a former lifeguard, I can tell you that we were taught in training that a pfd guarantees only that the body will float to the top. There is inherent risk in boating and other water activity and if the parents mitigated that risk in all areas, then it was clearly just his time to go. Because HaShem wanted it that way.

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:39 pm
Doesn't it say the in the gemara that your supposed to teach your kids to swim

Obviously you can't prepare for everything. But I think it's best to be ready then to avoid.

I mean... We do fire drills, right?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:41 pm
I don't know anything else about the tragedy but I wonder if the wind made the water choppy. Sometimes there is no one to blame or no lesson to be learned but windy days may make small boats dangerous.
I feel so bad 😢 for the family.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 1:11 pm
If you panic or call out for help, it is really easy to get a lung full of water. No life vest is going to prevent that. Crying

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you panic or call out for help, it is really easy to get a lung full of water. No life vest is going to prevent that. Crying

This. He was 8. They called for help immediately. They didn't see him for maybe 4-5 minutes and then they pulled him but it was already too late.
It was his time. Poor family.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:46 pm
I'm so sad about this. How did he drown if he was in a life jacket???

overworked

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 10:54 pm
they say his life vest got caught in the overturned boat, hashem yeracham the child is from isreal family came to new square for yom tov they didnt even get to bury him in there home land hashem should send a nechuma to the family & ganz klal yisrael

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:14 pm
O don't know if it's better to avoid it or not but my sister was there and watched the whole thing. She said
It was a bunch of kids (6 or 7) and one adult on the boat. Two other fathers were not on the boat and were waiting by the dock. It seems the boat flipped (was a small speed boat) and most of the kids made it to the top but this one must have been trapped underneath. It took like twenty minutes to find him. They were worried for all the kids because the water was freezing. She said they worked o. Him for a while and then took him to the hospital but it was too late.

chestnut

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:18 pm
Just awful Sad may Hashem send them nechama

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:33 am
Even the smallest waves can splash in the face of a kid with a life vest and overwhelm/drown him.
It’s a crazy scary freak accident.

Hashem should comfort his family.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:53 am
It’s just so sad💔
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics