Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Flowering household plants

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:48 pm
Hi fellow flower lovers!
This morning my daughter had a fit when she noticed our window box chrysanthemums shriveling and turning brown. I explained to her that this was part of what happens when it gets colder, flowers die. She was really bummed out about it and I'm wondering if anybody has experience with household plants that have flowers on then that remain there for most of the season. I'm looking for something that doesn't get too big because I don't have that much room. I would keep it on my counter as I have a nice big window there and don't mind giving up the space needed for a 6-9 inch flowerpot. Which flowering plans are not too big, where can I get them, and where can I read up on the best care I can give them so they should last. Thanks all!

Anon because I already asked a few ppl about this.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:58 pm
It would depend on the environment. African violets bloom year round, but don’t expect blooms if they’re living on a chilly windowsill in the northeastern United States. They’re tropical and like a warm, humid milieu—which makes them good terrarium plants.

However, your dd needs to be aware that even AV blooms wilt, turn brown and shrivel before the next bloom. Deep purple AVs shrivel up but the color intensifies to almost black, so they don’t look so bad.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 2:59 pm
You can get AVs anywhere but not necessarily all year. Usually in spring, but you may be able to order online. Most florists should have them.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 3:15 pm
zaq wrote:
It would depend on the environment. African violets bloom year round, but don’t expect blooms if they’re living on a chilly windowsill in the northeastern United States. They’re tropical and like a warm, humid milieu—which makes them good terrarium plants.

However, your dd needs to be aware that even AV blooms wilt, turn brown and shrivel before the next bloom. Deep purple AVs shrivel up but the color intensifies to almost black, so they don’t look so bad.

Thanks zaq
They would be in my kitchen where it's always about 70-80 degrees and not lower. So they might be next to a window but it will be warm. Do you think that might still be problematic?

zaq

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:32 pm
Kitchens in general aren’t the best places for plants, between the wildly fluctuating temperature and humidity and the presence of leaf-clogging grease mist. AVs being somewhat picky and having hairy leaves that are impossible to wipe off may not like this environment very well. OTOH they’re not terribly expensive—a four inch pot should set you back only about $5-6, tops. You can protect the plant from airborne grease and drying air currents by growing it under a transparent cover, like a glass or plastic bowl.

rockstar

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:40 pm
I Was also looking for a household plant that x needs much maintenance. I’m also a bit tight for space. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening