Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cold body temparature below 95 degrees Faranheit

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:41 am
Hi chag sameach to all.
My DC had a cold body temperature of 94 degrees farenheit this morning which really concerned me. Other symptoms were shivering and complaining that it feels very cold (when my house was warm).
After giving liquid tylenol, and waiting 15 minutes it went back up to 96.8 so I calmed down.
I think it may be due to strept. We are going to the doctor tomorrow morning and temperature has been on the lower end of normal since then.
I spoke to the doctor since then who said that anytime that (cold temperature) happens I can give tylenol or motrin and wait half an hour and then take temperature again to make sure the temperature improved and if it got better I can still wait until after shabbos or yom tov to see a doctor. But if it doesn't improve then to call in right away.
I am just wondering if others can chime in with their experiences with cold "fever" / hypothermia risk?
From what I saw on Dr. Google cold temperature is considered more dangerous than hot, and 94 degrees farenheit is pretty low so I am wondering if waiting 30 minutes would truly be safe?
Of course if it wasn't shabbos or yom tov I would likely just go to the doctor right away...
I just want to know for the future in case it chas"v happens on shabbos again.
Thanks in advance!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:27 am
Where did you check a temperature? That can change the degree of accuracy. The fact the your child's temperature increased by over 2 degrees in 15 minutes makes me wonder if either temp was accurate.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:54 am
I checked via an oral non-digital thermometer. Each time I checked the temperature I kept the thermometer under the tongue with mouth closed and lips pursed for at least 6 minutes.
I was wondering that too but I definitely know that the body temperature was too cold and out of normal range based on the other signs of shivering, complaining of feeling very cold, and skin feeling unusually cold to the touch as well. I do know that rectal temperatures often show as about 1 degree higher which is supposed to be more accurate. So perhaps the true lower temperature was about 95 farenheit but still I am concerned.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:30 am
It can be true, but it can be drinking or eating cold, or a mistake.
Some people do have a low temp. Mine drops if I don't sleep (how do I know? after births they take my temp every morning) and I can be in the 35s range.

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:32 am
Call Hatzalah now

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:41 am
nanny24/7 wrote:
I checked via an oral non-digital thermometer. Each time I checked the temperature I kept the thermometer under the tongue with mouth closed and lips pursed for at least 6 minutes.
I was wondering that too but I definitely know that the body temperature was too cold and out of normal range based on the other signs of shivering, complaining of feeling very cold, and skin feeling unusually cold to the touch as well. I do know that rectal temperatures often show as about 1 degree higher which is supposed to be more accurate. So perhaps the true lower temperature was about 95 farenheit but still I am concerned.

How old is your child? Oral temperature is very often inaccurate in children and even in adults. Also, a good digital thermometer will give you a better read than a non digital. I really doubt that your child was 94 degrees, I don't think you realize how cold that is.
Additionally, shivering and feeling cold are a sign of fever. I believe that you felt thay your child was cold but it's pretty much impossible for him/her to have been that cold.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:31 am
Frequently when I get a "fever" my body temperature goes down, not up.

I feel feverish, shivering, achy etc, but my temp is low.

DH is a physician and has seen this with me over and over. He says it's just what happens when I get sick. I treat it the same as an increase in temperature.

flower2

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:34 am
I agree w above posters:
It's unlikely the thermometer was placed correctly in the child's mouth and/or they ate/drank something cold prior to taking temp.
For baby/toddle you should do rectal temp and for older kids armpit. Or for older kids you could get a good ear thermometer.
Also, if temp seems very high or low, it's always a good idea to repeat it prior to meds as likely was error. (Especially in this case w a 2.6 degree change in 15min as it usually takes about 15 min for the Tylenol to start working and anti-pyretics don't typically change temp so drastically).

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:35 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Frequently when I get a "fever" my body temperature goes down, not up.

I feel feverish, shivering, achy etc, but my temp is low.

DH is a physician and has seen this with me over and over. He says it's just what happens when I get sick. I treat it the same as an increase in temperature.

THis is not a fever.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:38 am
Ruchel wrote:
THis is not a fever.

Yes, I know, which is why I put fever in quotation marks. But, it is how my body responds to sickness.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:47 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
How old is your child? Oral temperature is very often inaccurate in children and even in adults. Also, a good digital thermometer will give you a better read than a non digital. I really doubt that your child was 94 degrees, I don't think you realize how cold that is.
Additionally, shivering and feeling cold are a sign of fever. I believe that you felt thay your child was cold but it's pretty much impossible for him/her to have been that cold.

Thanks. So what would be the most recommended thermometer to use for children (between the ages of ages 4 to 10)? It would be good for me to have in general.

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:36 am
Just as an update temperature has not been lower than 97 farenheit since yesterday and the doctor said it's probably a virus. We will wait for the overnight strept culture and otherwise things are okay BH.
Thanks for the info about inaccurate oral temperatures.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:42 am
nanny24/7 wrote:
Thanks. So what would be the most recommended thermometer to use for children (between the ages of ages 4 to 10)? It would be good for me to have in general.

Unfortunately for a real accurate reading you would need to use a rectal thermometer.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 3:47 pm
I never found ear thermometers to be accurate. My ds had a rectal temp of 104 (he had the flu) and he needed to go to the ER.
At the ER (before any meds) the ear temperature was 99.
I insisted they retest with another thermometer and it was 104.
Btw, a temperature as low as you mentioned op would be life threatening. I was down to such a temperature after a medical emergency & I needed to be under heating blankets etc . It was very dangerous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics