Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
LONG layover in Paris - where should I sleep???
1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 3:52 am
Hey!

I'm taking my littles (3 and almost 2) with me to the States in December, but we're going to have a 10 hour layover in Paris both ways. In theory, I'd love to sight see, but in practice, I know I'm going to need to find a safe place for us so I can nap, and maybe even some hot kosher food.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Paris, and we have to transfer from Charles De Gaulle to Orly Airport. I'm a little nervous about wandering Paris without a guide - I've heard sections of it are completely lawless right now.

Where should I go? Should I just stay in the airports and play it safe? Is there a Chabad House or community center which would help me through it? Should I just book a hotel for a day? Budget is definitely a consideration.

I'm exploring all options, and would be happy to hear everyone's input.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 5:56 am
Bumpity bump

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:02 am
Get on a hop on, hop off tour bus and just sit there with your kids so you can see the city. (Only if they’re generally good. If not just stay on the airport) If you want hot food I would bring along tradition soup, oatmeal, things that only require hot water.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:04 am
I dont think you have enough time for a hotel room, unless you take one on airport premises.

Why did you buy a ticket with such a long layover? I know they are cheaper, but once you factor in a hotel room it's far more expensive.

I'm not familiar with Paris, but I would say either airport hotel or just put the kids to sleep on lounge chairs in the airport (but then you can't rest).

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:27 am
Will your luggage be transferred automatically, or do you have to pick it up and check it in again at Orly?

Do you need to show up 3 hours before your 2nd flight and check in all over again?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:29 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I dont think you have enough time for a hotel room, unless you take one on airport premises.

Why did you buy a ticket with such a long layover? I know they are cheaper, but once you factor in a hotel room it's far more expensive.

I'm not familiar with Paris, but I would say either airport hotel or just put the kids to sleep on lounge chairs in the airport (but then you can't rest).

With two seats and a lap child, I paid $780. It was worth it.

I'm afraid that if I don't rest, then I'll literally fall asleep on the job. It's a 22 hour total trip.

Tradition soup etc. Is a great idea!

There seem to be hotels nearby Orly Airport for reasonable prices, though I have no idea about quality. I'm not sure I can put a price on that shower, or the safety of knowing that my kids are locked in with me while I rest.

Does anyone else have personal experience stopping over in Paris?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:32 am
DrMom wrote:
Will your luggage be transferred automatically, or do you have to pick it up and check it in again at Orly?

Do you need to show up 3 hours before your 2nd flight and check in all over again?

I believe my luggage is transferred automatically.

There seems to also be a shuttle from CDG to Orly. If I'm factoring as if I have to do check in, then that plus customs plus travel would make it... 5 hours layover?

I need one of those in-airport sleep pods, but Paris doesn't seem to be equipped. Sad

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:33 am
Rappel wrote:
With two seats and a lap child, I paid $780. It was worth it.

I'm afraid that if I don't rest, then I'll literally fall asleep on the job. It's a 22 hour total trip.

Tradition soup etc. Is a great idea!

There seem to be hotels nearby Orly Airport for reasonable prices, though I have no idea about quality. I'm not sure I can put a price on that shower, or the safety of knowing that my kids are locked in with me while I rest.

Does anyone else have personal experience stopping over in Paris?

That is a good price... and I do think that a few hours at an airport hotel sounds like your best bet.

But how does $780 + 1 night at an airport hotel stack up against a direct flight (or one with a shorter layover)?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:38 am
" I've heard sections of it are completely lawless right now."
lol. Sorry. Stay in the airport, you may meet all the tourists otherwise Smile

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:44 am
Ruchel wrote:
" I've heard sections of it are completely lawless right now."
lol. Sorry. Stay in the airport, you may meet all the tourists otherwise Smile

Laugh if you will, Ruchel Smile

I've never been to Paris, but anyone I know who grew up there shake their heads and sigh that Sharia has taken over whole neighbourhoods, and police are afraid to go there.

I usually love exploring, but I still won't stroll through Shechem, nor speak English in Bogata. If you can tell me how to safely navigate Paris, what to enjoy, what to look out for, then please do -- I'm ready to learn.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:46 am
DrMom wrote:
That is a good price... and I do think that a few hours at an airport hotel sounds like your best bet.

But how does $780 + 1 night at an airport hotel stack up against a direct flight (or one with a shorter layover)?

It seems to match the equivalent of one direct ticket if I play with the sales -- which would defeat the purpose of going. I want my kids to meet their cousins.

Either way, it's bought, and I'm game for adventure Smile I just want to do it intelligently, since I'm traveling with the kids.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:52 am
Rappel wrote:
It seems to match the equivalent of one direct ticket if I play with the sales -- which would defeat the purpose of going. I want my kids to meet their cousins.

Either way, it's bought, and I'm game for adventure Smile I just want to do it intelligently, since I'm traveling with the kids.

Okay, understood.

So what's the 2nd flight check-in situation?

Your luggage is checked through, but you still have to go through customs and immigration when you land.

Are there (respectable) airport hotels that rent for 1/2 days?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:11 am
Again, there don't seem to be any in-airport hotels. Sad

I'll be using the shuttle to transfer to Orly, so I guess that leg will still be checked in

http://www.parisnet.com/airpor......html

"Transfers between airports: Charles de Gaulle airport to Orly airport: Air France operates a bus transfer service between Charles de Gaulle airport and Orly airport. The bus departs from Terminal 1 and Terminals 2A -2F (the same points as the Air France bus to Paris - see below) and it runs every 30 minutes from 5:55AM to 10:30PM. The price is 19.00€ one-way (children 2-11: 9.50€)."

But once I'm in Orly (which seems to be super cool for kids, btw), I'll have to leave for just outside the airport if I want a private room.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Ho......html

Something like this.

I know that Paris is Chabad central, so I'm surprised to not see more Chabad services in the airports. Do they just not advertise them, or are they truly absent?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:20 am
Oops. I am going to have to collect my luggage. Drat. Not terrible, but not great either.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:21 am
Please make sure you will get your stroller back for the stopover. In CDG they don’t give them back for connecting flights in CDG.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:23 am
Smile1234 wrote:
Please make sure you will get your stroller back for the stopover. In CDG they don’t give them back for connecting flights in CDG.

It seems I will (and it will be essential equipment on this trip!), along with any other luggage we bring, since my transfer is from CDG to Orly.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:32 am
Rappel wrote:
It seems I will (and it will be essential equipment on this trip!), along with any other luggage we bring, since my transfer is from CDG to Orly.

You will need to pack very lightly, as it will be very difficult to manoeuvre toddlers and suitcases through shuttles and transfers.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:35 am
No kidding -_-

This is good, though. Dr. Mom's questions made me realize a detail I missed, and which I can now plan for.

This is definitely going to be a once (twice) in a lifetime experience!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:36 am
OK then, I must not know what I speak of, after all just after several decades I must not know... if you compare to Bogota or Schem well I can't help. If you mean there are bad places, yes, just you have nothing to DO there and wouldn't go there even living in Paris. I'm out Very Happy

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:03 am
I would also call the airline and ask as well as the Chabad if they have any info and recommendations. You are smart to walk through every detail as best as possible in advance.
Every city has areas that one would not want to be in.
Some frequent traveller flyer sites may have ideas too from people familiar with the airport and area. I'd google it and see what leads may pop up.
Good luck and enjoy!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics