Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Fed up with cooking!!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 5:47 pm
I'm totally fed up with all the cooking. Is it only me??? I can't look at my kitchen anymore!

ChutzPAh

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 6:25 pm
No. I’m bored of cooking too.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 6:55 pm
I'm not bored of cooking. BH I enjoy it. I am bored of making roast for some reason so we're varying the menu.

pizza4

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 7:06 pm
I am.
Now my goal is to empty the freezer. Besides one or two things, the rest of the food will be all the extra from first days.
I'm planning to make a fresh soup or two also.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 4:47 am
I was just thinking about my post above.
I'm bored of having the means to buy the food?
I'm bored of having availability to fully stocked, reasonably priced stores?
I'm bored of having appliances to cook on? People to cook for? Healthy people whose digestive systems can handle all kinds of food?

I have to count my brachos ;-D

BUT
We do have to cut ourselves slack, give ourselves pats on the back for running and coordinating this marathon, and I hope everyone can find some small ways to pamper themselves in the coming weeks.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 4:51 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I was just thinking about my post above.
I'm bored of having the means to buy the food?
I'm bored of having availability to fully stocked, reasonably priced stores?
I'm bored of having appliances to cook on? People to cook for? Healthy people whose digestive systems can handle all kinds of food?

I have to count my brachos ;-D

BUT
We do have to cut ourselves slack, give ourselves pats on the back for running and coordinating this marathon, and I hope everyone can find some small ways to pamper themselves in the coming weeks.

I love you PinkFridge!! You're always so positive!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 4:57 am
My feet hurt.
Every day seems to be an erev..
The I’m not bored but I’m exhausted and getting resentful.
I’m not getting any help in the kitchen and I have to beg for help cleaning up after each meal.
I’m not in the mood to figure out which meal to serve what and what else I still need to cook plus another shopping list.
Pinkfridge, I’m thankful for so many of the things you mentioned plus more but this wasn’t a giving thanks thread. You’re right, though. ( a lady just died suddenly in our area... 39 years old with a bunch of kids. That means she probably sat with everyone in her succah first days of y”t , most probably exhausted from all the work... and now she’s no longer here!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 5:03 am
Take out here plus leftovers and what's needed

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 5:26 am
The way the calendar falls out makes this seem like an endless yontiff.

Simplify your menu. Don't prepare in advance. This works for me even though I am cooking for a lot of guests.

This way I don't feel like I am forever busy with yontiff meals. The way some people start stocking their freezers weeks in advance would overwhelm me.

I also agree with Pink Refrigerator about roasts. I am changing up what I am cooking for the last days. Cooking the same thing gets boring. What Is a pleasure to me becomes a chore.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:07 am
I can't look at the kitchen anymore...

notna

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:26 am
Squishy wrote:

I also agree with Pink Refrigerator about roasts. I am changing up what I am cooking for the last days. Cooking the same thing gets boring. What Is a pleasure to me becomes a chore.

Any ideas? Please share what you are making besides roast and kugel...
Thanks

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:35 am
For Simchas Torah night, I’m serving fancy deli sandwiches with a variety of salads, just to have something different and lighter. Who wants a heavy meat that night?
(We used to do dairy that meal but my husband prefers some kind of meat.)

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:57 am
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
For Simchas Torah night, I’m serving fancy deli sandwiches with a variety of salads, just to have something different and lighter. Who wants a heavy meat that night?
(We used to do dairy that meal but my husband prefers some kind of meat.)

Why not do deli rolls?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:04 am
It's hard this year. Kids need to go back to school I see it in all families. I will not be hard on myself

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:36 am
notna wrote:
Any ideas? Please share what you are making besides roast and kugel...
Thanks

My family is not eating 3 courses plus dessert anymore.

Tonight:
Roasted asparagus
oriental chicken burgers
Rice

Less than an hour - start to table

Monday day

Fish - morrocan salmon or cajun steamed salmon. I haven't decided yet. Waiting to hear back from my company if they eat spicy.

Morrocan Lamb Tangine - the hardest part of this dish is finding the lamb. It's a beautiful presentation.

Couscous
Basmati rice

Roasted fennel

Meat tortellini and sauce

I will season the lamb and marinate overnight. The tortellini is because I am having little kids who may not be so adventurous. I like couscous with Morrocan food. DH likes rice.

Monday night

Herb Roasted Turkey breast
Yellow rice
Steamed broccoli

This is also simple and delicious.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:46 am
Sick of cooking. Sick of eating too, and I love food. The only good news is that we have zero guests for these next 4 meals so we can do leftovers and simpler menus. No pressure. Thank G-d!

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:49 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Why not do deli rolls?

I don’t like deli roll so much anyway, and I like being able to choose my own healthy bread and toppings instead of puff pastry. Plus it makes a more fun meal for a family to make-your-own sandwich.

SYA

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:55 am
Delli rolls / cold cut wraps
Hot dogs in blankets
Schnitzel fried fresh before the meal or if your oven is on for YT, then you can make it fresh

Rice
Roasted veggies
Baked potatoes or mashed potatoes

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:45 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
My feet hurt.
Every day seems to be an erev..
The I’m not bored but I’m exhausted and getting resentful.
I’m not getting any help in the kitchen and I have to beg for help cleaning up after each meal.
I’m not in the mood to figure out which meal to serve what and what else I still need to cook plus another shopping list.
Pinkfridge, I’m thankful for so many of the things you mentioned plus more but this wasn’t a giving thanks thread. You’re right, though. ( a lady just died suddenly in our area... 39 years old with a bunch of kids. That means she probably sat with everyone in her succah first days of y”t , most probably exhausted from all the work... and now she’s no longer here!!!!!!!!!!!)

I was talking to myself. Because I thought I needed to tell myself that. But again, please note the end of the post. For all the perspective we might have, we still need to endorse ourselves for what we've been doing. I totally get every single post. And while I'm glad Shabbos is ending earlier, I still miss my full Thursday prep time with all these Sunday erev yom tovs and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

OTOH, there are a lot of women with heavy work schedules who are so grateful to have these Sundays. I think there are many legitimate venting opportunities this season and I hear them all. As far as yours go, I can say this with 1000% certainty: You are not alone.

Amalia

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:06 am
SYA wrote:
Delli rolls / cold cut wraps
Hot dogs in blankets
Schnitzel fried fresh before the meal or if your oven is on for YT, then you can make it fresh

Rice
Roasted veggies
Baked potatoes or mashed potatoes

Exactly!

Thank you for that list!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics