Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
For this, I prayed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:09 am
I wrote a little something I want to share as my DD approaches the “terrible twos” stage. As a little background, I had a very rough pregnancy with this one and a lot of issues both with me and her. Based on her diagnoses, we were told not to expect too much from her if she makes it. She’s a complete miracle. But really, the following can apply to any parent. Hope you enjoy!!

FOR THIS, I PRAYED (a terrible twos poem)

They say it is a stage,
That passes with the age,
That it’s a two year olds right
As she giggles with delight
Cuz this once angelic daughter
Poured a cup of her bath water
All over me.

I hug her with affection
And I have a recollection
That for this, I prayed

They say it is a phase
But my eyes begin to glaze
When this trouble-making child
Gets a little bit too wild
And jumps around the cart
In the local store or mart
And I try to put a stop
But it’s getting hard to shop
Cuz although she’s very teeny
She’s a miniature Houdini.
And I can’t keep up.

It’s a personal reminder
That I really shouldn’t mind her,
Because for this, I prayed.

They say it passes by
In the swift blink of an eye
But this little one’s quite clever
And each day feels like forever
With the crayon on the walls
And the never ending falls
And the third dinner I’ve cooked
Finds its way to every nook
And when nighttime comes around
She just doesn’t settle down
Till the wee hours.

As she starts to relax
And I’m ready to collapse
I say, “for this, I prayed.”

They say it gets much better
But my two year old trendsetter
Decides she wants to wear
Clips and headbands in her hair
And the red pants and pink sweater
I debate if I should let her
It’s the height of current style
And I can’t help but smile
At her opinions.

And she looks like a clown
As we walk around the town
But for this, I prayed

When her face and hands are sticky
When the floor becomes quite icky
And she gets in the way
Of her bigger sisters play
And I try to settle fights
And she looks a sorry sight
When she removes her bib
And climbs out of her crib
When she dances through the heap
Of the stuff I tried to sweep
When her bowl becomes a crown
And I feel like I might drown
From exhaustion.

When she runs away while dressing
I marvel at my blessing
Because for this, I prayed.

Though my little daughters actions
Can serve as a distraction
And sometimes I forget
But I try hard to reset
And I thank the One Above
For this child that I love.
Infinitely.

After all, for this, I prayed.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:12 am
I literally can’t even read this. My eyes are filled with tears. I didn’t have a rough pregnancy but I had/have fertility issues, so when I look at my girl, yes, for THIS I prayed

Bh your baby is doing well!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:21 am
OP, this is WONDERFUL!

amother
Black

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:23 am
totally relate!
I call my one year old my "matana"- my gift. I really though I wouldn't have any more, I cried and prayed so much and she is really the answers to my prayers. but oh the journey. I felt so anemic after she was born. she crawled and walked early and is everywhere and in everything. She also likes to crawl out of the shopping wagon. But oh how much joy she brings!

happyness

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:24 am
Beautiful OP!
Just what I need now. I'm a week overdue and am literally getting so nervous from my kids already...but your poem put me in check, thank you!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:24 am
This is beautiful! I was so touched. I also have a long-awaited baby who is reaching two soon

flmommy

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:26 am
Beautiful thanks for sharing. You should publish someplace!

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:32 am
I love this! There was one day recently that I actually cried because my kids were being so difficult and as I cried, I thought, this is what I'm davening for my sister to have. My sister would do anything to be crying that her children are misbehaving.

blessedjmom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:16 am
So BEAUTIFUL! You are a great mom- I can tell. And you have talent ! Publish this somewhere.

Yummymummy3

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:45 am
Amazing poem. I love the way you write. Thanx for sharing this.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:32 am
Very beautiful. I usually cringe from people’s “poetry” even when the sentiment is nice. But this was really well done and brought tears to my eyes. I prayed so hard for my 4 year old who I was blessed with after many years of SIF. I can really relate.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:35 am
My baby is 15 months old and I can relate to every word. But I'm still going crazy especially this time of year. He broke the ceramic part of my crocpot today.
Hats off to you op for staying so positive.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:53 am
I love it ! I waited for my little girl and she finally came a little under a year and a half ago and she’s doing all these things ...Thanks for reminding me that I prayed so hard for this...even though I feel like crying sometimes. A true blessing.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:05 pm
One more reader who couldn’t finish through misty eyes. You a absolutely nailed it, OP. That was my dd to a T. B”H we both survived and she is today bli ayin raah an expectant mom herself.

How did you find the time to write this? I worked outside the home and did all my writing on the bus to and from work. And sometimes at work during boring meetings. Ssssshhhhh.....

honeymoon

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:18 pm
This poem is a masterpiece! From the rhythm to the rhymes and the beautiful thought! It really resonated with me! You've got talent, you should publish this somewhere like afterthoughts in binah..

And thank you for putting things in perspective in a time when the kids are always underfoot. Lots of nachas from your princess!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:36 pm
Amazing! Thank you! I'm printing and posting on my fridge.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:47 pm
If you're the same poster who's been putting up other poems recently, I'm ready to buy your book! Beautiful, love it!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:01 pm
Wow, thanks for the overwhelming positive feedback! I write a lot if I can’t sleep at night, I find it soothing and accomplishing. I haven’t posted other work on here although I do have a lot. The one and only time I sent something in to be published the editor told me that my writing was so bad that the whole thing needed to be edited (I know it’s not true but it hurt and I’ve been hesitant to publicize anything else. It turned out it was a personal thing for her and she took it out on me) I appreciate all the positive words!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:04 pm
It's really good. Beyond the sentiments, I love the meter.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, thanks for the overwhelming positive feedback! I write a lot if I can’t sleep at night, I find it soothing and accomplishing. I haven’t posted other work on here although I do have a lot. The one and only time I sent something in to be published the editor told me that my writing was so bad that the whole thing needed to be edited (I know it’s not true but it hurt and I’ve been hesitant to publicize anything else. It turned out it was a personal thing for her and she took it out on me) I appreciate all the positive words!
All famous and successful people failed many times or were told they weren’t good enough. Those people didn’t allow you others to define them. They continued to persevere and they failed a few times before making it to the top. Keep at it and don’t give up no matter how critical they are of you OP! You are a great writer and you have touched our hearts. In my opinion that is proof you have done a great job!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics