Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Supporting a disposable pan

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:02 am
If you use a disposable pan for making kugels do you support the bottom (like it suggests on the label on the pan) by baking it in the oven on a tray or inside a non-disposable pan? If so, does this affect the bake time or how it turns out?
Thanks!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:13 am
I don't use disposables all that often but when I do.... I only put something underneath* if the contents are really heavy or if it's something likely to drip a lot a make a mess of my oven. For a kugel I don't bother.

* the something being a cookie sheet with a lip. Never put a pan inside another pan.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:14 am
I'm not sure why this would be necessary. Probably wouldn't cook well. Maybe they mean a pan on the rack underneath to 'catch' spills just in case.
Anyways, when I buy from jewish stores, they are so flimsy and often, holding slightly heavy pans from the bottom causes then to dent which leads to holes. I generally use the Costco, more sturdy ones for this reason.

emzod42

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:40 am
If it's heavy I put it on a rimmed cookie sheet for my own ease--much easier to put in and out of oven. I'm not too worried about leaking unless it's a pan I washed and reused.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:40 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I'm not sure why this would be necessary.

I can tell you from bitter experience! They can bend and leak the contents...now I'm cleverer and put them on a sheet pan Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:01 am
okay - thanks guys! Have a good Y"T!

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:14 am
I usually put small pans regardless of material on a half-sheet jelly roll pan. It’s easier to grab the big tray than a small pan or several small pans. I do the same with bigger foil pans but only if I’m baking pareve, as my jelly roll pans are pareve.

I never paid attention to the effect on baking results, but I doubt that it does much. The bottom MIGHT brown faster because of the conduction through the pan, but I doubt it. The jelly roll pan had to heat up first.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:31 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I don't use disposables all that often but when I do.... I only put something underneath* if the contents are really heavy or if it's something likely to drip a lot a make a mess of my oven. For a kugel I don't bother.

* the something being a cookie sheet with a lip. Never put a pan inside another pan.

Why never put a pan inside another pan? I've done it plenty of times with no issues.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:43 am
zaq wrote:
I usually put small pans regardless of material on a half-sheet jelly roll pan. It’s easier to grab the big tray than a small pan or several small pans. I do the same with bigger foil pans but only if I’m baking pareve, as my jelly roll pans are pareve.

I never paid attention to the effect on baking results, but I doubt that it does much. The bottom MIGHT brown faster because of the conduction through the pan, but I doubt it. The jelly roll pan had to heat up first.

Can you possibly tell me what you mean by, "The bottom MIGHT brown faster because of the conduction through the pan"?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:43 am
Notsobusy wrote:
Why never put a pan inside another pan? I've done it plenty of times with no issues.

I do this for meats (heavy items) -- 2 disposable pans. I also found Costco ones are sturdier than the cheapy brands and don't warp just from me looking at them, so I only really need to do this with heavy foods. Regular baking, 1 Costco pan is sufficient. If I have cheapy ones (like round from the "frum" stores), I put it on top of a cookie sheet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen