Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Fed up with cooking!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

singleagain

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:14 am
We're doing left overs and short order cook. Eggs and such.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:19 am
Thank God the big stuff were done in advance. I wouldn't be able to run a marathon today. Just adding some fresh sides and such.
The last day I will be turning on a flame and cooking fresh.
I did bake last night which was fun. I was craving some good baked goods over shabbos.

nosher

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:42 am
Ra_mom, can you share some ideas for sides? I’m running low on ideas.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:52 am
nosher wrote:
Ra_mom, can you share some ideas for sides? I’m running low on ideas.

I'm doing hasselback potatoes and green beans for tonight, cabbage & noodles from freezer stash and broccoli salad tomorrow (dressing ready, will steam fresh tomorrow), potato salad and asaparagus ST night, mashed potatoes and two tone zucchini tomato on last day (both fresh).

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:57 am
Sesame chicken
Rice
Mashed potatoes
Deli rolls
Franks n blanks
Soup
Deli Salad
Stuffed cabbage
Broccoli kugel
Apple crisp

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'm doing hasselback potatoes and green beans for tonight, cabbage & noodles from freezer stash and broccoli salad tomorrow (dressing ready, will steam fresh tomorrow), potato salad and asaparagus ST night, mashed potatoes and two tone zucchini tomato on last day (both fresh).

Are the Hasselbeck potatoes fresh? What temp oven?

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:08 am
I'm a pretty good cook, but I don't thrive on it

For me, the Yom Tov food prep process feels stifling. Even listening to YouTube videos on all sorts of random topics, while in the kitchen, it's still not my favorite activity.

It feels like the holiday revolves around food almost to the point of obsession sometimes. I really like the ideas people shared on this thread about how to simplify and make things easier and less of a food fest. Keep them coming. Smile

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:22 am
Relatively easy recipes:

Sides - oven baked farfel (got the recipe here?) or orzo. There's an easy Kosher Palette baked orzo with French fried onions for anyone who has in the house. Sliced potatoes under whatever chicken with skin you're making. Or a small pumpkin, slightly baked, then peeled and chunked to bake as previous potatoes.

Veg - Miriam Pascal roasted broccoli/zucchini/onions/pepper with red wine vinegar and hot sauce
Relish tray
The best pickles you can get
Tossed salad bag with prepared dressing
Coleslaw
Broccoli, baby corn, slightly cooked sliced carrots (cook carrots whole, slice when cool), mushrooms, frozen Italian beans or any combination thereof marinated in prepared Italian dressing

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:28 am
Squishy wrote:
Are the Hasselbeck potatoes fresh? What temp oven?

I take them out of the oven right before the Zman and we eat it at room temp an hour and a half later. Can only be baked right before.
450 for 1.5 hours using large Idaho Russets.

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I take them out of the oven right before the Zman and we eat it at room temp an hour and a half later. Can only be baked right before.
450 for 1.5 hours using large Idaho Russets.

I am copying you right down to the timing. I am D/Cing the rice. DH is ok with either potatoes or rice.

Thank you

nosher

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:00 pm
Thank you ra_mom and pink fridge for the ideas.

I added roasted Brussels sprouts to my menu.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:12 pm
The cooking doesnt bother me. It's the endless dishwashing I can live without!!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:26 pm
Squishy wrote:
I am copying you right down to the timing. I am D/Cing the rice. DH is ok with either potatoes or rice.

Thank you

The timing is for 4 Russets in a 9x13 pan. If you're baking them on a sheet pan where they get more surface heat, see how they're doing after 1 hour and 15 minutes, because 1.5 hours is too much on a cookie sheet.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:53 pm
Here to be the kill joy.
I love the cooking, I thrive when I cook, love making new recipes, enjoy serving good food.
But here's the catch, that's the only part of yom tov I like.
The meal is all about the food, I always dreamed of endless zmiros,Torah talk,
The house gets dirty,kids fighting, everyone just sitting around I don't feel the spirituality, kids don't really see the Simchas hachag

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:01 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The cooking doesnt bother me. It's the endless dishwashing I can live without!!!

I treat myself to disposable for succos. I just can't wash and wash and wash.

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The timing is for 4 Russets in a 9x13 pan. If you're baking them on a sheet pan where they get more surface heat, see how they're doing after 1 hour and 15 minutes, because 1.5 hours is too much on a cookie sheet.

Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:20 pm
Carrot muffins with carob chips
Soft as butter zucchini
Meatballs in sweet and sour sauce
Mashed potatoes with sautéed onions
Salad
Hot poppers

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:20 pm
Pleasure - good Yom Tov!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 6:45 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

We've been using disposables. (I love those stories that talk about fine china in the succah. Not happening here.) There was still a lot to wash - cutlery, serving platters, pots. At least it was a little less.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Here to be the kill joy.
I love the cooking, I thrive when I cook, love making new recipes, enjoy serving good food.
But here's the catch, that's the only part of yom tov I like.
The meal is all about the food, I always dreamed of endless zmiros,Torah talk,
The house gets dirty,kids fighting, everyone just sitting around I don't feel the spirituality, kids don't really see the Simchas hachag

It's hard. I can say, Shabbos cereal, other nosh and foods they like, extra books and games, and trips to the park but if there isn't $$ and if it's rainy and cold or there's no park, and if some sibs know exactly how to push other sibs' buttons, it will be hard.
I can tell you to think long term and that as they get older, they will process it differently. They'll appreciate the efforts and have some good memories. (Some that you might not even remember.)

As for the dirty house, I always say that I wish I liked to clean half as much as cook. But after yom tov, even I have to do some serious cleaning. Things get really yucky.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics