Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms: Would You Invite Guests if Your Kids Have Them?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:51 am
Or would you visit others homes overnight? My dh is concerned about infecting others when we have guests over. What do you think?

mlc

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:53 am
No no no. Just no.

Answer based on fact that my entire family got pinworms in two instances after visiting same home. So I inquired and 😬😬😬

It is not worth it for anyone. No one wants pinwirms and no one wants hard feelings .

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:57 am
No. If I knew my kids had it I would not knowingly invite guests.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:08 am
Problem is, we've been dealing with it for months. And my parents are supposed to be staying over in Nov. for a few nights.

mlc

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Problem is, we've been dealing with it for months. And my parents are supposed to be staying over in Nov. for a few nights.

I was in similar situation. I would confide about the situation. Explain what has been going on and what measures you would do to prevent spreading.

But then leave it in their ballpark.

You can say that you would love to see them but completely understand if they would like to opt out.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:09 am
I used to think this way too and used to warn others before they sent kids to stay with us, until I realized that PINWORMS ARE EVERYWHERE. Every. Family. Has. Them. There’s not one mother I spoke to who’s kids don’t have them.
They’re in schools, public bathrooms etc.
I see no difference.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:22 am
Amother dodgerblue, bh there's no pinworms in our house.
My mom has 13 kids and none of us ever had pinworms. It's not everywhere.

Stars

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:25 am
No!!!!! They're airborne and so hard to get rid of! (But please do every measure you can to get rid of them. You shouldnt be sufferimg for months. My son caught them in the school bathroom and I got rid of them within a few weeks.)

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 11:33 am
NO! An refuah sheleimah!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 10:48 am
yes
they are everywhere.
just keep washing hands and keep everyone's nails VERY short.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 4:31 am
Buy a bottle of Lysol and clean your toilets with it often - preferably every time the people with pinworms sit on the toilet.

Did you try Vermox? The whole family should take it now and then again in 2 weeks.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 4:58 pm
Stars wrote:
No!!!!! They're airborne and so hard to get rid of! (But please do every measure you can to get rid of them. You shouldnt be sufferimg for months. My son caught them in the school bathroom and I got rid of them within a few weeks.)

Pinworms are NOT airborne. They’re an actual animal they can’t exactly fly. They do however pass super quickly and easily by touch. They’re most common In kids for that reason. They lay eggs by the outside area of the backside where kids easily get them on their underwear, fingernails, which then go onto surfaces and linen and towels and into the mouth etc etc.

If a kid has worms and it’s properly taken care of I wouldn’t worry about it being catchy. I have one son that gets it all. The. Time but no one else does bh because we treat it right.

The infected child should be showered as soon as they wake up in the AM.
Linen pjs and underwear should be washed in a hot wash. (For kids in diapers just a diaper change is fine according to my pediatrician).
Constantly wash hands with soap.
Use disinfecting spray around areas the child sleeps/touches (Lysol spray on door handles etc).
Treat the entire family with Vermox or any worm medicine and again 10 days-2 weeks later.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:00 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Pinworms are NOT airborne. They’re an actual animal they can’t exactly fly. They do however pass super quickly and easily by touch. They’re most common In kids for that reason. They lay eggs by the outside area of the backside where kids easily get them on their underwear, fingernails, which then go onto surfaces and linen and towels and into the mouth etc etc.

If a kid has worms and it’s properly taken care of I wouldn’t worry about it being catchy. I have one son that gets it all. The. Time but no one else does bh because we treat it right.

The infected child should be showered as soon as they wake up in the AM.
Linen pjs and underwear should be washed in a hot wash. (For kids in diapers just a diaper change is fine according to my pediatrician).
Constantly wash hands with soap.
Use disinfecting spray around areas the child sleeps/touches (Lysol spray on door handles etc).
Treat the entire family with Vermox or any worm medicine and again 10 days-2 weeks later.

And even more important - keep nails short all the time for kids prone.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I used to think this way too and used to warn others before they sent kids to stay with us, until I realized that PINWORMS ARE EVERYWHERE. Every. Family. Has. Them. There’s not one mother I spoke to who’s kids don’t have them.
They’re in schools, public bathrooms etc.
I see no difference.

Hi. Meet me. Never had pinworms in my house. Please don't assume things like this and always let guests know and make their own choice.

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:23 pm
watergirl wrote:
Hi. Meet me. Never had pinworms in my house. Please don't assume things like this and always let guests know and make their own choice.

This.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:28 pm
As per google, fwiw...
People become infected, usually unknowingly, by swallowing (ingesting) infective pinworm eggs that are on fingers, under fingernails, or on clothing, bedding, and other contaminated objects and surfaces. Because of their small size, pinworm eggs sometimes can become airborne and ingested while breathing.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 6:10 pm
The people whose kids never get it probably won't catch it from being a guest at someone else's house. Because they've for certain been exposed a million times over, and if they haven't caught it yet, it's because their body is good at eliminating it before it becomes a problem. Of course their can always be a first time, but it's usually the same kids/families getting it over and over and over again, so if they won't catch it at your house they'll catch it somewhere else. Keep in mind, thousands of people probably walk around with pinworms asymptomatically. And chances are every single human being, unless they religiously deworm every six months, likely has parasites living in them. Some live symbiotically with their hosts, and some cause all kind of issues.

That being said, I'd probably mention it casually and leave the ball in their court. I've never yet had guests turn us down for pinworms.

ddmom

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:07 pm
I would treat the whole family and repeat treatment 10 days later.
Warn your parents of the situation.
Leave clorox wipes in every bathroom and teach kids to use them every single time they use the bathroom.
Leave soap in every bathroom and tell the whole family to use after every bathroom use.
Cut nails of every family member today and then every week religiously.
Wash linen now and again in 10 days after next treatment.
Afaik it's entirely possible to get rid of pinworms and they're really not so common as mentionned earlier.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:30 pm
The pediatrician can do a test on the rectal area. If it was assumed that everyone always has it, then what's the point of the test.

In addition to what's mentioned here, cut kids nails a few times a week, made them crazy about washing with soap all the time, showers for all kids every day, and whole family swallowing the pill as directed. I also washed all the kids' bedding the first few mornings of treatment, all clothes that had been worn, and mopped all bedroom floors, cloroxed doorknobs. It was a LOT of cleaning and laundry.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:50 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
The pediatrician can do a test on the rectal area. If it was assumed that everyone always has it, then what's the point of the test.

In addition to what's mentioned here, cut kids nails a few times a week, made them crazy about washing with soap all the time, showers for all kids every day, and whole family swallowing the pill as directed. I also washed all the kids' bedding the first few mornings of treatment, all clothes that had been worn, and mopped all bedroom floors, cloroxed doorknobs. It was a LOT of cleaning and laundry.
What test is it? I've heard that parasites are very hard to test for. You realize that by checking the rectal area you're only seeing what's coming out, not whatever's in there.. Nor is it presumably catching eggs that haven't hatched yet..

Also for all those suggesting clorox wipes etc, do you even know for sure that clorox kills the worms/eggs?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics