Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Broken bone no cast

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:25 pm
I’m wondering if anyone has such an experience or if it’s normal . My 2 yr old ds has a crack on his femur bone above the knee. We took him Friday to the urgent care for X-rays who then send us to orthopedist for a cast. I didn’t go along so dh took him . Dr said the bone is not gonna move and he’s not putting a cast . ( the dr was supposed to leave at 3 but he only saw ds at 4. I’m curious if maybe he wanted to leave already so he didn’t bother with it ) my son is getting around everywhere by crawling and is not in pain anymore .

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:26 pm
If it was a hairline fracture they don't cast it. For a femur break I think they don't either, from what I remember about what happened to my mom.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it was a hairline fracture they don't cast it. For a femur break I think they don't either, from what I remember about what happened to my mom.

It was a knuckle fracture across the bone . Dr explained the bone won’t move out of place . Feel so bad for my baby he’s trying to walk but rite away going back on floor .

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:40 pm
It's very normal not to cast a stable fracture. You only need a cast if the bone needs to be held in place. Chances are, the Dr. is not going to risk a malpractice suit to go home a little earlier. But, there is no way for us on imamother to tell whether the Dr. was correct, because this is a medical issue, and we are mostly not medical professionals, nor do we have all the relevant information. IMO, if the child is in no pain, I wouldn't worry. Doctors are used to running late all the time. On the other hand, if you're going to worry anyway, it's better that you should get a second opinion.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 2:40 pm
They don't cast small fractures anymore. The femur is a strong bone, it won't move so no need to cast it. I've heard worse breaks that were not in a cast. DD broke her arm and they just gave her a brace to wear afew hours a day. They only cast very bad breaks nowday.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 3:01 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
They don't cast small fractures anymore. The femur is a strong bone, it won't move so no need to cast it. I've heard worse breaks that were not in a cast. DD broke her arm and they just gave her a brace to wear afew hours a day. They only cast very bad breaks nowday.

I know they don’t cast anyone for small fractures . A boot wud not help in this case because it was above the knee .

Tnx all for responding. Bh from all my children it’s the first time someone broke a bone so we’re not experienced

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 3:03 pm
My sister broke her leg. They didn't cast it. She was in agony for months as she is on her feet a lot.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:41 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
My sister broke her leg. They didn't cast it. She was in agony for months as she is on her feet a lot.

How come they didn’t cast? It all depends how the bone broke and how big the fracture is

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:43 pm
It’s called a buckle fracture. It actually means a bend in the bone as opposed to a crack. This has become the norm, not to cast certain types of fractures on certain bones. It makes sense.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics