Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
LONG layover in Paris - where should I sleep???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
OK then, I must not know what I speak of, after all just after several decades I must not know... if you compare to Bogota or Schem well I can't help. If you mean there are bad places, yes, just you have nothing to DO there and wouldn't go there even living in Paris. I'm out Very Happy

Yes, I mean bad places. Smile

Which ones?

How do I avoid them?

What should I look out for?

You can continue to sneer in your comments, or you can use your decades of experience to teach your fellow imas. Which would you prefer?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:18 am
Airport lounges are perfect for this

But I wouldn’t be comfortable falling asleep with 2 babies (unless they’re both strapped into strollers) for safety reasons.

Good luck!

heidi

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 8:29 am
Rappel, it sounds like your best option is to do the transfer and then just camp out in the airport.
I know you're worried about being tired but adding another stop (to and from the hotel) sounds time consuming and may actually add to your exhaustion.
Lots of airports have play areas or relatively empty hallways in which your kids can burn off some energy.
Also my experience after years of trips is that you'll be running on adrenaline and have plenty of energy during the trip.
Just tell hubby to rest while you're gone bcz you'll come to and crash.

Last edited by heidi on Mon, Oct 21 2019, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 9:20 am
I've done a fair bit of international travel with little ones. I give gravol on the plane and take it myself on long flights.

You haven't factored all the connecting elements, perhaps. Your layover may seem long when in reality it is shorter when you factor in traffic etc.

Keep your strollehandy. Will your dc sleep in the stroller ?

Do you own a baby carrier? Mine (Ergo-baby) is good until 50 lbs and it has been a lifesaver during trips.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:14 am
Bring a double stroller and devices that you already downloaded movies to (so you don't have to rely on Wi-Fi), to keep the kids entertained.
Lots of shelf stable food and frozen sandwiches.
Stay put at Orly.
Good luck and happy travels!

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:35 am
If you do want to venture into the city itself, La Marais has a few kosher restaurants and is the old Jewish quarter. Pretty sure its a safe area since its in a touristy part of town.

I second taking stuff to help you sleep on the flight. (although if coming from Israel, its not such a long flight).

Aren't Orly and CDG on two completely opposite sides of Paris? I would also look at timings very carefully. Use google maps to see how long the trip will take at that time of day.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:38 am
I stayed in this cute kosher hotel : hotel Aida opera in Paris. It’s 45 minutes by car from Orly. It’s about 120 to 150 a night. Idk it it pays for you to go there. They have a simple but good kosher breakfast.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:44 am
I don't have time for individual responses now, but I just wanted to say thank you all! I'll check in again after Shabbat. Shabbat shalom!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 3:27 pm
I did a long layover in Paris last winter with tweens. I agree with the others who suggest to just go straight to Orly. I do not think you have enough time to fit in any sightseeing or a restaurant visit. It can take a long time to get out of CDG--depending on your gate, it can be a loooong walk to get to passport control.

(Also be aware that you may be asked to remove a hat or obvious head covering at passport control--I thought that might happen, so I was prepared and wore a sheitl with a beret on top (it was cold); my DH and son were required to remove the caps they were wearing. While occasionally my DH has been asked to do the same at passport control in the USA, I never have--the beret in no way shaded my face or anything, etc. Just fyi.)

Anyway, we had about the same length of layover, did not have to get our luggage or change airports, and had older kids with us. We took the RER train from CDG to Paris and did a walking tour of Le Marais through a company with Jewish guides. On the return trip, we went to the Eiffel Tower on our own and then did a tour of the Quartier Latin with a different guide from the same company. The company is https://jewish-paris-tours.com. Both guides were excellent and very well versed in what they were showing us (neither was religious).

With toddlers, I would not spend the time or money to do this. And definitely not if you have luggage with you (our bags were checked through to USA and we dropped off our carryons at Baggage Du Monde in CDG ($$ but worth it), so we only had backpacks with us for the day touring). It will add stress and exhaustion and little kids will not remember it. With older kids, I would say that it was worth doing. It was seriously exhausting though--everyone has to be up for the adventure.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 12:33 pm
I think you're all right. 5 hours is not a lot of time. I'm frightened that I might fall asleep while in the airport, but I think Heidi is right -- adrenaline will probably keep me awake, even if I'm not coherent be then. I just shouldn't rent a car when I land in NY.

Frumwithallergies -- does gravol really work? For how long? I would do anything to ensure my kids sleep on the long stretch of the flight.

I will hopefully be bringing a double stroller, and a back carrier, just in case. They are NOT leaving their stroller until we're safely set in Orly. They are both extremely energetic and curious, and when they feed off each other's energy, their ability for mischief is remarkable.

Raisin: I don't usually show them TV, but you're right, that might be wise this time. I've never traveled so far without my partner in crime. DS at least will zone out to a device if we let him. DD doesn't have the attention span to watch a screen, so I'll need to stick to the old fashioned methods with her.

The website says that there is a shuttle bus from CDG to Orly, and that it's 45 minutes without traffic. I hope that makes the transfer painless, even if the ride is a bit long.

Cornflower: do they have a private area to remove a head-covering? I only wear mitpachot, which may raise their profiling alarm.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 12:35 pm
There is definitely a pinch - after all, this is probably the only time in my life I will see Paris! - but it really would be too much to tour. I need to focus on just surviving this trip safely, without adding any stress factors.

I wonder if I could hire someone to help me with my luggage/kids from the baggage claim of CDG until check-in at Orly. That would be huge.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 12:56 pm
Pack as lightly as possible.

I had to travel overseas alone with a stroller-aged baby once, and I just travelled with a minimalist wardrobe in a backpack, plus a stroller, so I had enough hands to manage.

I sent clothes ahead of time via a friend and also borrowed old clothes from my relatives so I did not have to bring much. Kind of crazy, but it worked, and it was worth it to be able to travel relatively stress-free.

Granted, this is easier in summer (when I traveled) than in December...

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 1:14 pm
DrMom wrote:
Pack as lightly as possible.

I had to travel overseas alone with a stroller-aged baby once, and I just travelled with a minimalist wardrobe in a backpack, plus a stroller, so I had enough hands to manage.

I sent clothes ahead of time via a friend and also borrowed old clothes from my relatives so I did not have to bring much. Kind of crazy, but it worked, and it was worth it to be able to travel relatively stress-free.

Granted, this is easier in summer (when I traveled) than in December...

Yalla. I'm starting to make my list. We'll be out for 3 weeks, but if we don't bring any gifts at all, then we may be able to keep it down to one suitcase and two carry ons. Maybe maybe. Let's see.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 1:55 pm
Rappel wrote:
Yalla. I'm starting to make my list. We'll be out for 3 weeks, but if we don't bring any gifts at all, then we may be able to keep it down to one suitcase and two carry ons. Maybe maybe. Let's see.

I assume you will have access to laundry facilities where you are staying? If so, you can pack super-light and just wash things every other day.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 3:19 pm
Rappel wrote:

How can you maneuver a suitcase, two carry ons and a stroller at the same time?
I don't see how this is practically doable.
How will you make it from the baggage claim to the shuttle?
How will you make it from the shuttle to your gate in Orly?
And this is assuming that people will help you board and disembark the shuttle.

I think you need to rethink your packing.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 3:27 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
How can you maneuver a suitcase, two carry ons and a stroller at the same time?
I don't see how this is practically doable.
How will you make it from the baggage claim to the shuttle?
How will you make it from the shuttle to your gate in Orly?
And this is assuming that people will help you board and disembark the shuttle.

I think you need to rethink your packing.

I checked. Luggage carts are available in both airports.

I was assuming I would have no help. Thank G-d, I'm still a strong person, and my kids will be buckled into their carriage. Maneuvering on/off the bus won't be that difficult.

I can push the carriage and pull a luggage cart to the station. It will be awkward, but I don't think I can cut down the actual luggage any further, since I'm figuring on one carry-on of food (there will be nothing kosher otherwise), one carry-on of toys/activities, and one suitcase with all the things we'll need for the three of us.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 3:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
I assume you will have access to laundry facilities where you are staying? If so, you can pack super-light and just wash things every other day.

I think that will have to be the plan Smile

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 4:13 pm
Rappel wrote:
It will be awkward, but I don't think I can cut down the actual luggage any further, since I'm figuring on one carry-on of food (there will be nothing kosher otherwise), one carry-on of toys/activities, and one suitcase with all the things we'll need for the three of us.

Are there no kosher meals on the flight? Or do you mean for the 10 hr stopover?

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 21 2019, 4:47 pm
DrMom wrote:
Are there no kosher meals on the flight? Or do you mean for the 10 hr stopover?

Surprisingly, no. When I booked, I got a message that they had "run out of that option." I don't know what that means, but I'm not relying on miracles. I'll pack as if I'm feeding the kids solely out of what comes out of our bag, and then I won't be sorry.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 4:19 pm
If its worth it to you to get to see Paris and have a hot kosher meal, you could hire a taxi (maybe a frum driver) to transport you and your luggage from one airport to the next with a stop in the centre of Paris.

Also, a french friend told me you can order kosher food from restaurants via apps (ubereats or wtvr - I never use them) so maybe they deliver to the airport? I see Orly is pretty close to Cretail, which is a Jewish area.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics