Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you use this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:22 pm
My husband bought me a bag of brown sugar. I noticed that there was tape on the bag. When I peeled off the tape I saw that the bag was slit open underneath.

I didn't want to use it, but my husband couldn't understand why not. In the end I threw it out and bought a new bag. Just wondering if anyone out there agrees with my husband because I can't imagine that anyone would have used it.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:25 pm
No I wouldn’t use it I would take it back to the store.

yidisheh mama

No! No!!! And nothing to do with kashrus. You never know what it's been contaminated with.

blessedjmom

Would not have used it

Surrendered

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:26 pm
I probably would have returned it to the store to exchange it. Why should you take the loss?

abaker

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:27 pm
No I would have brought it back to the store and got a different bag. Probably the bag got cut open with a box cutter during stocking shelves but still. No way. And it shouldn't be sold with a piece of tape covering that up. Once the store noticed the cut in the bag they should have taken it off the shelf.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:38 pm
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately he's good at convincing me that I'm stupid and sometimes it's hard to figure out if I'm really being unreasonable. That's why I came here for a reality check.

He wouldn't give me the receipt or tell me where he bought it, he just kept trying to convince me to use it. That's why I threw it out and bought a new one.

Yeah, I know, there's a lot of dysfunction going on here......

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:14 am
Im really not particular when it comes to food. But an open bag from a store? Never. Please,please get help. Your sanity is at stake.
Talking from experience

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately he's good at convincing me that I'm stupid and sometimes it's hard to figure out if I'm really being unreasonable. That's why I came here for a reality check.

He wouldn't give me the receipt or tell me where he bought it, he just kept trying to convince me to use it. That's why I threw it out and bought a new one.

Yeah, I know, there's a lot of dysfunction going on here......

I'm really sorry you're in that situation. Sad

I'm sure it was just the slip of a box cutter, but I'd be wary too. I am a pretty laid back person, but a bag of sugar is pretty cheap, and it's worth the peace of mind to just dump it. It's not like it was a whole prime rib roast or anything.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:51 am
I'd bring it back and exchange it for a new bag.

I'd worry about ants.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:25 am
DrMom wrote:
I'd bring it back and exchange it for a new bag.

I'd worry about ants.

And malicious tampering. Remember the Tylenol murders that eventually led to tamper-evident packaging?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:30 am
I would have tossed it, but also would have been pretty sure that it was just a slip of the box cutter.
If someone was tampering, they would be a lot more subtle than a gash with a piece of tape.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen