Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1 1/2 year old not sleeping throughout the night HELP

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:43 am
Hi!! I need help. My 1 1/2 year old is not sleeping throughout the night and needless to say I am EXHAUSTED.

I put her to sleep at 8 pm nursing, then she wakes up at like 10 so I nurse her until she falls asleep again. The cycle repeats itself at 1ish, then 3ish, 5ish and 6ish. (she sleeps with me in my bed)

Any advice will be HIGHLY appreciated!!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:47 am
I’m sorry but you’ve created a monster. She’s way too old to be nursed to sleep, and if you don’t want her to wake to nurse in middle of the night, don’t nurse her. You’re giving her an incentive and you’re rewarding her behavior.

Next time she wakes in middle of the night send your husband with water only. She will not be pleased. If she’s truly thirsty the water will do it. If she wants comfort, he can comfort her with cuddles and kisses. But stop nursing her in middle Of the night

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:50 am
I just saw the part about co sleeping

Sounds like you’re at a crossroads.

Cosleeping worked because you wanted to nurse her without getting up.

Now you don’t want to her to wake to nurse overnight

How is she supposed to know that you changed what you want?

What was your plan? How long were you planning on cosleeping?

Sounds like it’s time to buy her a crib.

You’re turning her world upside down so it will ben excruciatingly hard

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:06 am
Your daughter has trained you, now you must train her.
À crib is essential (or put a mattress on the floor as I have seen others do) in a separate, baby-proof space. Always put your baby to bed awake, so they learn how to self-soothe. Give her a special baby-blanket with your scent, give her a kiss good-night, say shema with her, and leave. From then on in the night, only send your dear husband. She might cry, she might scream, she might even throw up from screaming because deep down she knows what she's missing. But don't give up. My oldest cried for 2 weeks; I had to leave the house, and my husband tough-ed it out. But it was sooooooo worth it. All my kids learned how to sleep through the night and b'h they are well adjusted today. Stick to the new routine and it will pay off.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:26 am
However she falls asleep at the beginning of the night is how she will expect to fall back asleep when she wakes lightly between sleep cycles (which all babies do). Choose a sleep training method and teach her to fall asleep, at bedtime, independently in her own bed. It will not be easy but it will be worth it.
No judgment on cosleeping or nursing to sleep but if it’s not working for you anymore then it’s time for a change.

rivkam

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:46 am
I find leaving the baby to sleep with DH for a couple of nights really helps. You can also limit nursing sessions in the night and find other ways to comfort her. Don't feel forced to do CIO or cold turkey stop nursing. There is loads of options as a nursing co-sleeping mother to help your baby sleep better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics