Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Coding Program for Junior High Kid

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:33 am
My kid would like to have another skill in his back pocket, and based on his personality, I think I'd want him to get a feel for coding, or something similar that might end up being useful later on for a career. I know he's still too young to make a long term decision, but I want him to get a feel for it.
(Maybe I just read too many success stories about Warren Buffet and the like starting young LOL )

Anyone know of a computer program that will be both fun, stimulating, and useful? Would prefer no internet, but I realize I may have to be flexible on that.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:57 am
https://scratch.mit.edu

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:03 am
My 13 year old daughter fell in love with coding from this website - she knew literally nothing before. By the end of a few lessons you can create beautiful web pages. She told a bunch of her friends about it too and they are all into it now. Totally free.
https://dash.generalassemb.ly/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:51 pm
Thanks. I appreciate both links. They both seem very valuable. I'll look into both of them more closely.
At first glance, it seems that scratch can be offline, while dash doesn't seem to offer that option.
(I don't mind if my kid is online when I'm home, but he is often home before me and will probably want to do it then. I don't know if I want him online when home alone.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children