Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move to Flatbush-is this possible?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:26 am
I can get a maximum $700,000 for what I own in BP.
I have a small mortgage left to pay-less than $30,000.

Is it possible to buy a house in this price range?
Which affordable neighborhood should I look into?
What neighborhood would I fit into?

My daughters attend BY schools, I'm from a chasidish background and even though I'm not chasidish and don't live the lifestyle-I don't dress or identify as chasidish, girls will be dating and don't want to marry chasidish etc...my husband feels uncomfortable changing the garb he wears on Shabbos/YT (during the week he wears a white shirt and black pants only).

Any ideas?
TIA

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can get a maximum $700,000 for what I own in BP.
I have a small mortgage left to pay-less than $30,000.

Is it possible to buy a house in this price range?
Which affordable neighborhood should I look into?
What neighborhood would I fit into?

My daughters attend BY schools, I'm from a chasidish background and even though I'm not chasidish and don't live the lifestyle, I don't dress or identify as chasidish, girls will be dating and don't want to marry chasidish etc...my husband feels uncomfortable changing the garb he wears on Shabbos/YT (during the week he wears a white shirt and black pants only).

Any ideas?
TIA

Marine Park would probably be a good fit for you, you can get houses for this price range and there are many formerly chasidish people living there as well. Here are some examples of the houses you can get:

https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:38 am
Marine Park ???

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:39 am
I'm no realtor but the cheapest houses in the Flatbush Jewish Journal are usually in the 800s. There are some in the 700s but those are past East 35th street/Marine Park. A condo may be cheaper but then you won't have your own house.

The apparent differences between your husband vs. you and your daughters about Chasidish may or may not be an issue. Is he comfortable being the only one in shul (other than perhaps the Rav)with a shtreimal? Is he looking for a Chasidish shtiebel to davin in if/when you move?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:47 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I'm no realtor but the cheapest houses in the Flatbush Jewish Journal are usually in the 800s. There are some in the 700s but those are past East 35th street/Marine Park. A condo may be cheaper but then you won't have your own house.

The apparent differences between your husband vs. you and your daughters about Chasidish may or may not be an issue. Is he comfortable being the only one in shul (other than perhaps the Rav)with a shtreimal? Is he looking for a Chasidish shtiebel to davin in if/when you move?

I don't know.
Maybe in a shul that's heimish-leaning.
It doesn't have to be chasidish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:48 am
Thanks, amother babypink.

I will look through the listings you posted.

naomi2

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:05 pm
I think the 30s till around Ave m would be a better fit than marine park. Also, the 20s and teens would work. The crowds are different.
Also, you can look on Zillow.com and filter for price and other specifications and see all the houses on a map

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:36 pm
Move to Lakewood! You can get a beautiful home and there are plenty of heimish neighborhoods here (husband wears levush on shabbos, everyone else dresses not chassidish)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:39 pm
chayamo wrote:
Move to Lakewood! You can get a beautiful home and there are plenty of heimish neighborhoods here (husband wears levush on shabbos, everyone else dresses not chassidish)

Lakewood or Toms River?
My husband’s job is in Brooklyn, and I prefer not going through the hassle of getting my daughters into schools.
Thanks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:41 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I think the 30s till around Ave m would be a better fit than marine park. Also, the 20s and teens would work. The crowds are different.
Also, you can look on Zillow.com and filter for price and other specifications and see all the houses on a map

Thanks.
What zip code would I be searching in?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 2:46 pm
Are you looking to have best friends in Marine Park? Or do you just want a place to live that is not BP, but still Brooklyn?

If you are not desperate for friends, Marine park is in Brooklyn, and in Brooklyn people do their own thing.
There is much more anonymity and variation in Brooklyn than in smaller sheltered areas like Lakewood and Monsey.
In Marine Park, 1/2 - 3/4 of blocks are still non Jewish

Bais Yakov of BP has bus stops in BP

There is Eichenstein shul and Rokeach shul.
Many of the men do not wear hats to shul and the conversations are in English but lots of the men are Yiddish speaking from cheder days. There are heimish background types in Marine park, though you wouldn't guess based off appearances.

As more families move in, the neighborhood keeps moving to the right.
Many of the more modern families have moved to long island

Or check out staten island. Most BP schools have busing to Staten Island.

Best of luck in your decision.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 2:56 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Are you looking to have best friends in Marine Park? Or do you just want a place to live that is not BP, but still Brooklyn?

I won't be making any friends in BP either.
It would be a nice bonus, but not a requisite.
I would want my teenage daughters to have friends in the neighborhood.
Thanks

If you are not desperate for friends, Marine park is in Brooklyn, and in Brooklyn people do their own thing.
There is much more anonymity and variation in Brooklyn than in smaller sheltered areas like Lakewood and Monsey.

Many of the men do not wear hats to shul and the conversations are in English but lots of the men are Yiddish speaking from cheder days. There are heimish background types in Marine park, though you wouldn't guess based off appearances.

Isn't SI becoming very chasidish as well?

I won't be making any friends in BP either.
It would be a nice bonus, but not a requisite.
I would want my teenage daughters to have friends in the neighborhood.
Thanks

naomi2

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.
What zip code would I be searching in?

You can look within ocean parkway to flatbush Avenue but not cross kings highway either when its past nostrand. Also you might want to look into Kensington. Truthfully, there are very few and small houses for $700,000. They might be 1100 -1400 square feet. Maybe semi detached with shared driveway. Not sure if that's more roomy than where you are now.
I excluded marine park because its younger than the other areas and probably less yeshivish though it might depend on the block as well.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:20 pm
naomi2 wrote:
You can look within ocean parkway to flatbush Avenue but not cross kings highway either when its past nostrand. Also you might want to look into Kensington. Truthfully, there are very few and small houses for $700,000. They might be 1100 -1400 square feet. Maybe semi detached with shared driveway. Not sure if that's more roomy than where you are now.
I excluded marine park because its younger than the other areas and probably less yeshivish though it might depend on the block as well.

I wouldn’t fit into a very yeshivish neighborhood either.
Kensington would be too yeshivish for me.
I wouldn’t mind a small house as my family is relatively small in size.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:18 pm
Probably the best bet would be to check out the shuls in Marine Park and see which would be the best fit, and then look around in that area.

naomi2

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:44 pm
It's hard to tell your type/frumkeit level other than you dont want to be in boro park anymore so amother above had a great suggestion to check out the shuls or maybe post some more details or where you send your kids to school etc hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:05 pm
naomi2 wrote:
It's hard to tell your type/frumkeit level other than you dont want to be in boro park anymore so amother above had a great suggestion to check out the shuls or maybe post some more details or where you send your kids to school etc hatzlacha!

My girls go to mainstream BY high schools in Flatbush- Mixed Flatbush/Kensington/BP crowd.
Not super yeshivish like BYA, YOB.
I don't know what type you would describe me as.
I drive, wear colored nail polish.
I think I look like your average BYBP mother.

I've been wanting to move for a while, and spent Chol Hamoed Succos with a Flatbush-type crowd and felt comfortable and like I fit in.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:07 pm
naomi2 wrote:

The 20’s and teens are way out of her price range. I agree only Marine Pk/the 30’s would be affordable for her.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:09 pm

I still find the marine park area very modern for the most part with a sprinkling of some chassidish (very few) and some more yshivish, but mostly modern.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:58 pm

Hmm I live in marine park and I have friends ..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating