Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Does anyone have an interesting story about a Torah scroll?

ny21

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:38 am
I find Torah scrolls fascinating .thanks

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:49 pm
Yes, we had amazing hashgacha pratis story.

We went on a family trip to Ukraine. One of my relatives, desperately wanted to see the house, where her mom grew up. We couldn't decide what to do. We had a full internary, which was of interest to entire family & limited with time. Should we accomodate her, if it wasn't of interest to others, as her mom was not part of our family, (for her it was a one time opportunity) or just move on with our schedule?
At end it was decided, that we will have the bus go there at night, whoever is interested can join her & the rest can stay at hotel for an early night.
We got an address & knocked into house at that address, but to our dissapointment, the people living there, didn't let us in, claiming that this house belonged to their family for generations, and nobody else lived in that house, besides for their family. We tried begging, but to no avail. All of a sudden, a woman arrived home, she saw us, & says hold on, before you leave, I want to give you something. We are Jewish, but not religious, but our ancestors looked like you rabbis.
We just renovated house, and found some Jewish papers in attic, we don't know what to do with it. My hub asked her how much money she wants, thinking it's antique kisvei yad/seforim. She says, just take it, we don't need it & do what needs to be done with it, I know it can't go to garbage so I held on to it, but know no one who can take care of it. Turns out, Her gfather was a frum yid who lived right next to the shul & when shul was attacked & burned down, eithet by Nazis or Communists, he ran in to save the sefer Torah. She handed us, remnants of a burned sefer Torah, which still had some parshios intact. My husband brought it home & gave it to someone to bury it properly.
About the home we were looking for, was supposed to somewhere in that backyard, but was no longer standing & thete was nothing there anymore.
We thought we were in wrong place, but we were in the right place, at the right time!

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:50 pm
Wanted to post anon so people who know story won't figure me out, but it is anon disabled in this forum

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:52 pm
dankbar wrote:

We went on a family trip to Ukraine. One of my relatives, desperately wanted to see the house, where her mom grew up. We couldn't decide what to do. We had a full internary, which was of interest to entire family & limited with time. Should we accomodate her, if it wasn't of interest to others, as her mom was not part of our family, (for her it was a one time opportunity) or just move on with our schedule?
At end it was decided, that we will have the bus go there at night, whoever is interested can join her & the rest can stay at hotel for an early night.
We got an address & knocked into house at that address, but to our dissapointment, the people living there, didn't let us in, claiming that this house belonged to their family for generations, and nobody else lived in that house, besides for their family. We tried begging, but to no avail. All of a sudden, a woman arrived home, she saw us, & says hold on, before you leave, I want to give you something. We are Jewish, but not religious, but our ancestors looked like you rabbis.
We just renovated house, and found some Jewish papers in attic, we don't know what to do with it. My hub asked her how much money she wants, thinking it's antique kisvei yad/seforim. She says, just take it, we don't need it & do what needs to be done with it, I know it can't go to garbage so I held on to it, but know no one who can take care of it. Turns out, Her gfather was a frum yid who lived right next to the shul & when shul was attacked & burned down, eithet by Nazis or Communists, he ran in to save the sefer Torah. She handed us, remnants of a burned sefer Torah, which still had some parshios intact. My husband brought it home & gave it to someone to bury it properly.
About the home we were looking for, was supposed to somewhere in that backyard, but was no longer standing & thete was nothing there anymore.
We thought we were in wrong place, but we were in the right place, at the right time!

Beautiful story, dankbar. Thanks for sharing.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:53 pm
dankbar wrote:

Wow! Amazing story

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:57 pm
Dank bar, fantastic story .

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:01 pm
Probably not what you’re looking for, but we have a Torah in our family, passed through the generations (my parents have it now). It’s usually in the aron at the shul, but when I was about 5 years old, they had it at the house waiting for a Sofer to check it or fix something (I don’t know the details), and I thought I wasn’t allowed to sit down the whole time the Torah was in the house, since it wasn’t in a closed Aron. To my 5-year old self’s credit, I tried to stay standing the whole day!!

ny21

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:12 pm
Thank you

gande

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:59 pm
Amazing inspirational storyby Yoel Gold about Rabbi klatzko

ny21

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:14 am
Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational