Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Norwegian Cardamom Bread

Mandolin

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:32 am
I absolutely love this bread. I make it pareve and I find it needs more cardamom than the recipe calls for. I use at least 3-4 teaspoons. Kids love it, too. I like it toasted with butter or margarine. I think it would make a good French toast as well but I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/re.....aids/

Ingredients

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1-1/2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons ground cardamom (use more...you won't be sorry. 3-4 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon salt
9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
Additional sugar

Directions

In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, butter, 2 eggs, cardamom, salt and 6 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into fourths. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:35 am
I LOVE cardamom! It's one of my favorite spices.

For a variation, you could use Chai tea blend spices. You could also replace some of the liquid with canned pumpkin puree.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:10 am
This sounds AMAZING, thanks for posting!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads