Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intermittent Fasting

Mandolin

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 4:18 am
I just wanted to share what has been working for me.

It's called Intermittent Fasting. I fast 16-24 hours a day with a clean fast. I only drink black coffee, and water. You can also drink black or green tea (nothing added) during the fast. I have lost about 15 pounds since I started September 6. I started at 159 lbs.

I thought it would be so hard. But it's really easy. I eat between 1-4 hours a day usually. Sometimes 6. I have a longer eating window on the weekends but I fast minimum 16 hours. I eat whatever I want during that time and I always include something sweet, even if it's small. I eat carbs.

I love this way of life and I don't feel deprived.

If you are interested in trying this I would read Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens. The Obesity Code by Dr. Fung is also good and explains more science but I think he makes it sound harder than it is. There are lots of health benefits in addition to weight loss.

I never thought I could do it. It's not as hard as it sounds.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 4:23 am
Good for you!

I'm trying a very modified version. I fast between 12-16 hours most days, and don't really watch what I eat outside of that, although in general I make some attempt to make healthy choices.

I can't say I lost any weight, but I like to imagine that I lost some of the inner belly fat!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:07 am
Been doing 16-8 for awhile and totally not working for me.

Mandolin

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:21 am
If it’s not working for you, you may need to tighten up your window. I’m not sure how long you have been doing it but it can take awhile. The longer you have had the extra weight the longer it can take. Also if you were a dieter before trying this your metabolism might need to to recover. Some people need to throw in a 24 hour or longer fast to get things moving. 16:8 is really the minimum and better for maintenance.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:35 am
I’m pretty sure the reason I am maintaining my weight loss of 90 pounds is IF. I think I am metabolically broken and very insulin resistant so to lose weight further I’ll have to do longer fasts. But the science works. Jason fung thinks ppl like me need long fasts because getting insulin down. After all I’ve been through with disordered eating I’m being very careful with longer fasts not triggering me.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:39 am
How about shabbos Yum tov .Same routine ?

Sounds good if the time eating u can munch on whatever u like? I would give myself 6 hours to eat I would split it up in 2. 2 ×3

Mandolin

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:03 am
Yom tov, weekends I do at least 16 which is la shorter fast than Monday to Friday. The great thing about IF is you can be flexible.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:15 am
Since Labor Day I’ve been eating 8 hrs per day. 1:30-9:30.
Started at 150 and lost 9 lbs. and kept it steady over Yom Tov.
For me that is amazing as I really struggle to get below 150, I’m nursing a 14 month old and on mini pill.
It’s working better then a lot of other diets I tried. And I believe I’ll continue losing now that Yom Tov is over. I average about 1 lb a week.
I need to be better about drinking. It isn’t super easy but has been more doable then regular dieting especially over Yom Tov. I got in the habit of eating anything at meals but only between kiddush and the end of the last meal of day (or havdalah).

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:16 am
I keep on thinking that this would work really well for me, I'm a great faster and need to lose a lot of weight. But I've read articles that say that the reason it works is because it ups your testosterone and other hormones so it's not good if you are trying to get pregnant. Has anyone heard of this?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:27 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I keep on thinking that this would work really well for me, I'm a great faster and need to lose a lot of weight. But I've read articles that say that the reason it works is because it ups your testosterone and other hormones so it's not good if you are trying to get pregnant. Has anyone heard of this?

It lowers insulin.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:29 am
Is it safe/recommended for women trying to get pregnant?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:31 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
How about shabbos Yum tov .Same routine ?

Sounds good if the time eating u can munch on whatever u like? I would give myself 6 hours to eat I would split it up in 2. 2 ×3

Shabbat - dinner whenever and lunch whenever. I dont eat challah. I eat to satiety and don’t eat seudah shlishit shlishit typically. That’s just me.

Splitting up fasting is pointless. That’s just a diet. ESPECIALLY if you eat whatever you want in that time.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:06 am
I think im not so clear how this diet works . I thought u eat only 6 hours per day . U get to choose how to set the schedule and hours thats what I thought. Can u explain?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:17 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I think im not so clear how this diet works . I thought u eat only 6 hours per day . U get to choose how to set the schedule and hours thats what I thought. Can u explain?

I’m doing 8 hours. It sounds like that’s typical. You pick a block of time and work with that. I like to eat supper with DH so that is my end time.
There are recommended times to use but o think it is easier to work with your lifestyle.

Mandolin

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:05 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Is it safe/recommended for women trying to get pregnant?

YES! It can help women with PCOS conceive because insulin resistance is a big part of PCOS and that is the most common reason for infertility. As soon as you know you are pregnant you should stop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise