Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Less common biblical girl names
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

rofa

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:06 pm
I see Avishag was mentioned and I did know a very pretty girl named Avishag, but why on Earth would someone want to be named after a concubine?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 10:05 pm
The reason certain biblical names are so common and typical is because they are beautiful. Once your child is named, there will be only ONE Sara, Chana, Rivka to you. And that's the most important

etky

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:35 pm
rofa wrote:
I see Avishag was mentioned and I did know a very pretty girl named Avishag, but why on Earth would someone want to be named after a concubine?

There was nothing shameful about being a pilegesh in the time of Tanach.
Granted it was a lesser status than a full fledged wife, but it was a way for a woman from a family of limited means to gain some sort of security.
As for Avishag- technically she wasn't a pilegesh but rather a sochenet -bascially a caregiver. It is true that she was imported to the royal court on account of her famed beauty in order to be a pilegsh but we are told that David and she were never s-xually intimate. Instead she became the person closest to the king - the one who cared for his physical needs at the end of his life and as such enjoyed a special status and a measure of importance. In fact, she was present in the room, administering to David, when Natan and Batsheva approached the king to intercede on behalf of Shlomo, during Adoniyahu's rebellion. Later, after David's death, Adoniyahu sought Avishag as his wife - an overreaching request that cost him his life because it made blatant his ambition and desire to establish himeself as a rival to Shlomo.

Gulabi

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:40 pm
Tirzah

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:49 pm
I love Yehosheva.

For me the person matters. Pilegesh I would never give. Caretaker is different. But still some make b ad jokes Sad

I am also not into the story of Tamar or Dina Sad even though those are very nice names.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:50 pm
Hulda, etc. Cultural. Done in Italy. I'd give Hulda before something extremely common unless it was family

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 1:14 pm
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned.

Hadas.
No not Hadassah.
Hadas.

It's a name too. It's actually MY name. Hadassah is actually from the root word Hadas (For all those lovely people who won't stop asking if my name is a nickname). Hadas means myrtle (Haddasim is plural..c'mon sukkos JUST happened) and Esther Hamalkah was nicknamed Hadas because she smelled good like myrtles? I think. Hadas led to Hadassah as her nickname.

I actually find Hadassah to be a rather ugly name and I too prefer unique names.
So Hadas is a good one. Laugh (Don't call me Hadassah. Calling me myrtle is more respectful than that)

It's not like I'm biased...or anything, right?

Also I'm anonymous...for obvious reasons. LOL

etky

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 4:16 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Hadas.
No not Hadassah.
Hadas.

It's a name too. It's actually MY name. Hadassah is actually from the root word Hadas (For all those lovely people who won't stop asking if my name is a nickname). Hadas means myrtle (Haddasim is plural..c'mon sukkos JUST happened) and Esther Hamalkah was nicknamed Hadas because she smelled good like myrtles? I think. Hadas led to Hadassah as her nickname.

I actually find Hadassah to be a rather ugly name and I too prefer unique names.
So Hadas is a good one. Laugh (Don't call me Hadassah. Calling me myrtle is more respectful than that)

Hadassah was Esther's real name, not a nickname. But it probably did come from hadassim.
Hadas is a beautiful name and quite distinct from Hadassah.
It's an extremely popular name in DL circles in Israel, especially for girls born around this time of year.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 5:35 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Hadas.
No not Hadassah.
Hadas.

I’m a Hadas (NOT HADASSAH) too! I love my name!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 5:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband is particular to have biblical names, but I don't like the ones that are so common every family's got one--sara, rivka, rachel, leah, devorah, chana, esther. Sorry if I just offended 90% of you lol. Nothings wrong with those names, I just prefer names that are more unique...but they have to be biblical.
Any ideas?

Nitzevet

SacN

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 7:15 am
Quote:

I do know someone with the name, but unfortunately, it is a mouthful and not easy on the tongue. I think that must be the reason it is not more popular. Sort of like why Yoshiyahu is not popular for boys, even though he was such a righteous king. Such a shame really.

Probably so, but there are some heavy names that aren't as uncommon. Chanoch is a rough one, as is Yocheved, but I've met plenty of people with both names. Shlomtzion. Menachem. Not to mention the difficult to say Yiddish names you hear...

Yeruchum. We used to joke that we'd keep up the rachamim names Smile

I think Yehosheva sounds quite like Yehoshua. I wonder if that's got anything to do with with it's disuse?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 8:58 am
Did anybody say inbal yet
It's a description in rashi of the kohen gadol clothing. I think the little bells

LittleRed

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 9:39 am
I just looked back at this thread and saw all the comments in to my saying Noa is an uncommon name. Made me laugh! Yes, I'm aware that in Israel and some other places it has been an extremely popular and (maybe overly) common girls name for decades. I have several Israeli cousins named Noa- maybe that's why I feel it is so familiar and useable. However, in my very mixed American community, I do not know any Noas and my husband feels it goes too much as Noah the American boys name (English for Noach).
I guess we all respond based on where we come from and what we see and I must've assumed OP who feels like every other kid is chana, Sara, Rivky etc might see Noa as a slightly more unique but still palatable option.
Good shabbos everyone (in the US for whom it is not yet shabbos...just like me) Very Happy

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 10:52 am
[quote="SacN"]
Quote:

I know a Yerucham.
I'm just realizing how I've never heard the name besides for this one person I know. lol.
I never questioned it...

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 11:14 am
Quote:
However, in my very mixed American community, I do not know any Noas and my husband feels it goes too much as Noah the American boys name (English for Noach). 

Yes, my grandmother had a lot of trouble explaining to her friends at the gym that her new great-granddaughter was called Noa, but was really a girl! So I can definitely see his point on that one.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 1:04 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I know a Yerucham.
I'm just realizing how I've never heard the name besides for this one person I know. lol.
I never questioned it...

I knew at least two Yeruchams but they were both older men, and this was already several decades ago....
Can't say I've heard the name recently.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 1:06 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Quote:
However, in my very mixed American community, I do not know any Noas and my husband feels it goes too much as Noah the American boys name (English for Noach). 

Yes, my grandmother had a lot of trouble explaining to her friends at the gym that her new great-granddaughter was called Noa, but was really a girl! So I can definitely see his point on that one.

We have (Israeli) friends who are Noah and Noa.
In Israel it's fine of course, but when they travel abroad it is sometimes a hassle.

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 1:08 pm
etky wrote:
We have (Israeli) friends who are Noah and Noa.
In Israel it's fine of course, but when they travel abroad it is sometimes a hassle.

As in Noach and Noa?

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 1:12 pm
etky wrote:
I knew at least two Yeruchams but they were both older men, and this was already several decades ago....
Can't say I've heard the name recently.

The kid I know is 10.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 1:12 pm
SacN wrote:
Quote:

I do know someone with the name, but unfortunately, it is a mouthful and not easy on the tongue. I think that must be the reason it is not more popular. Sort of like why Yoshiyahu is not popular for boys, even though he was such a righteous king. Such a shame really.

Probably so, but there are some heavy names that aren't as uncommon. Chanoch is a rough one, as is Yocheved, but I've met plenty of people with both names. Shlomtzion. Menachem. Not to mention the difficult to say Yiddish names you hear...

I think Yehosheva sounds quite like Yehoshua. I wonder if that's got anything to do with with it's disuse?

Can speak only for myself, but I find all the "Ye-ho" names a bit cumbersome to enunciate.
Probably Yehoshua the least but perhaps that's because I'm so used to it?
My DS is Yonatan rather than Yehonatan which was more popular at the time he was born, partially because I found Yehonatan a bit too much of an effort.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names