Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bike question

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:59 pm
I would like to start bike riding. I haven't ridden in 20 years. Probably a silly question but what kind of hair covering do you wear under the helmet?

Also what's the best skirt? I assume leggings are necessary. Any other suggestions for a beginner?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:24 pm
bump

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:47 pm
Not a professional biker, although did bike a few times for exercise purposes.

Best head covering - a light cotton tichel so it doesn't slide back, isn't too bulky under the helmet, and nor too sweaty.

Skirt: light flairy skirts so u have room to move. Although not too flairy or long. U don't want it to get stuck in the chains....

Enjoy it! It's hard, but very fun and rewarding!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:54 pm
Thank you Yiddishmom!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 6:59 pm
I agree with yiddishmom. It sounds silly, but take a practice bike ride around the block before committing to a skirt for a long bike ride. Sometimes a skirt which seems the right level of flairiness somehow lacks the right heft and keeps wanting to fly up...

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:03 pm
Thin pretied bandanna is best headcovering

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:07 pm
Yaaaay! Biking is so much fun!
I wear a very thin pre-tied (usually cotton or polyester) and my helmet on top; I wear leggings and an a-line or wider skirt, and I agree with above posters who say that the skirt shouldn't be too long. Sometimes it blows up a little with the wind, but honestly when you are riding fast, no one can notice; when you are stopped at a light or stop-sign, it's a quick fix to replace your skirt if it has ridden up.
Have fun!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:37 pm
Thanks again ladies!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:54 pm
Ok 1 more silly question, this is more for those of you living in NYC area. Do you ride your bike from your house and just ride around, or do you put the bike in the car and drive to a park? I think I'd be self conscious if my neighbors saw me, at least till I know what I'm doing TMI

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:55 pm
I take my bike by car to a park.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise