Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Couch shopping
1  2  Next

momtra

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:50 pm
Although money is somewhat tight, I have put buying a new couch for our living room onto the need list vs. want.
That being said, I want to get a good deal.
The one we have now is from Fortunoff from about 17 years ago.
I figure I would wait until Black Friday/ cyber Monday for good deals, but I know I’ll have to work quickly once those days arrive, so....
Where are some good places to shop for couches, and any tips/ideas?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:21 pm
Look on wayfair
I’m happy with my set but I spent $3000 for 2 couches and a chair
Italian top grain leather
I also bought the extra warranty

momtra

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:44 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Look on wayfair
I’m happy with my set but I spent $3000 for 2 couches and a chair
Italian top grain leather
I also bought the extra warranty

Do you just depend on reviews to let you know comfort? How long ago did you purchase?

rockstar

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:56 pm
Where do you live? If you live in Brooklyn I recently purchased a new couch for cheap from gk furniture. Their near century not sure their exact location but you cld google it.
Good luck!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 7:22 pm
Bump!

Not the OP but also looking to buy a couch. In or near Brooklyn.

I wpuld love to get something well priced but am not looking to throw money in the garbage.
The last couch I had, I purchased for $300 all cash at a sidewalk sale. It was so uncomfortable and was garbage after 6 months. Didnt save anything just wasted $300.

Where have you found a good quality, long lasting piece at a reasonable price.

Thank you!!

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 7:28 pm
I would suggest going into a brick and mortar store and trying to sit on couches to get an idea of what they feel like. Both material and firmness

Adela

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 2:00 pm
Anyone tried target or Ikea couches? How do these hold up? Are they comfortable?
In the store for thos 5 minutes it was comfortable but that is not telling enough to me.

Would love to hear if anyone had experience with these.

hello 1

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 2:05 pm
I’ve bought couches in Macy’s. Very happy with them.
They have great stuff, updated items. Also a lot of reviews usually on the products which are helpful. I bought my couches just from the online reviews!
Someone just told me they just bought a couch there for $1200 and Macy’s has a no interest cc for up to a year and she is paying it off $100 a month.
Also Macy’s is always having sales.

Adela

Post Wed, Nov 13 2019, 3:01 pm
hello 1 wrote:
I’ve bought couches in Macy’s. Very happy with them.
They have great stuff, updated items. Also a lot of reviews usually on the products which are helpful. I bought my couches just from the online reviews!
Someone just told me they just bought a couch there for $1200 and Macy’s has a no interest cc for up to a year and she is paying it off $100 a month.
Also Macy’s is always having sales.

Thats helpful! Thank you!

Adela

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:27 pm
Bump!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:29 pm
macys has coupons in the news paper

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:51 am
How would I know if those couches are good quality and comfortable?

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:39 pm
I am also looking into couches, and realize that the more modern ones have quite low backs, and was wondering how much they affect the comfort of the couch.
I don't want to put a very plush or reclining couch in my living room now, but want to make sure I will still be comfortable.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:07 pm
The only way you can make sure that a couch is comfortable is to actually sit in the sofa because there are so many variables that make a couch comfortable - and individual preferences will vary as well.

In my opinion (and experience) you can't mail order a couch OR a mattress and expect it to be comfortable. If it is, that is just pure luck.

You also need to determine exactly what your expectations are in terms of price points. Cheap furniture is intended to be disposable - the construction is bad and not intended to last.

I just finished decorating and I had a local upholstery shop make my sofa for me. Ironically I am going through some papers and I found the first sofa I had which my mother gave me which was upholstered by a shop on Coney Island Avenue. This isn't cheap of course but it can be less expensive than middle priced sofas which aren't necessarily constructed as well which are only supposed to last 7 years. They don't make furniture as well as they did 20 or 30 years ago and much furniture is imported from China or elsewhere and isn't made as well as the US furniture which tends to be more expensive and better constructed.

Another way to go is to scour craigslist and buy a used sofa. It is almost impossible to sell used upholstered furniture so you can pick up some good deals.

I don't think Black Friday is an especially good day to buy a sofa and you would probably be artificially pressured into purchasing something. A good sofa is something that one should take one's time purchasing because it should be considered to be an "investment" - obviously not like a stock but not something that you want to purchase again in two years.

A good sofa is constructed in a certain way - I'm pasting an article that goes into this in depth

1. Frames

Frame material. Upholstery frames should be made with kiln-dried hardwood or engineered hardwood. The latter category can be broad, so look for engineered hardwood made from at least seven layers of solid wood pressed together — that’s what you need for a strong, warp-resistant frame. Avoid engineered products such as medium-density fiberboard (MDF), particle board or standard plywood.

Frame construction. Just as important as the kind of wood is how the pieces are joined together. If it’s done poorly, the sofa will start to wobble. Frames can be put together using a variety of methods, so look for terms like mortise and tenon, double dowel and corner-block-reinforced (where an extra piece of wood is installed at the corners). Avoid upholstery frames that are mainly held together with screws and glue or that use metal connectors attached to two pieces of wood.

Tip: Does the piece have a lifetime frame warranty? If so, that usually implies the frame was put together well.

2. Suspension

If you’ve spent any time researching what makes a quality piece of furniture, you’ve likely come across the term eight-way hand-tied. This refers to the suspension, which is the part of the sofa under the cushions that ensures you don’t end up sitting on the floor. There are many different types of suspensions and many opinions on which is the best. That won’t stop us from trying to get to the bottom of it!

Eight-way hand-tied. Long considered the gold standard of suspension, this is the most labor-intensive and costly option and is the mark of an overall high-quality piece of furniture (except when it’s fake, which we’ll explain later). With this kind of suspension, numerous coil springs are supported by metal or fabric webbing and are secured to one another with twine tied in eight different spots by hand. The twine keeps the springs from shifting and also ensures the suspension won’t start to squeak over time. To see if a sofa is eight-way hand-tied, pick up the cushion and push on the seat deck; you should be able to feel the separate springs through the fabric.

Drop-in and pocket coil springs. A less labor-intensive version of a spring suspension, drop-in coils are coils mounted on a metal frame added to the furniture as a single piece. This system isn’t supported on the bottom, so it will start to sag before other suspension types. There’s a lot of metal-to-metal contact, which can lead to squeaking. Remember when we talked about fake eight-way hand-tied? Some manufacturers will take these drop-in systems and add twine, calling them eight-way hand-tied even though they aren’t the real thing.

Pocket coils are similar to what you’d find inside a mattress: a bunch of coils wrapped individually in fabric. Not many manufacturers use this suspension and the jury is still out on it, but it seems to be higher quality than the drop-in coil option.

Sinuous springs. You’ll probably come across the term sinuous springs more than eight-way hand-tied, since it’s the most common suspension in low-to-mid-priced sofas. This suspension is made of zigzagging pieces of metal set in rows running perpendicular to the front of the sofa. For every person who says eight-way hand-tied is the best, there’s someone who says it’s unnecessary and that sinuous springs can perform just as well at a lower cost.

It’s true that sinuous-spring sofas are less expensive than eight-way hand-tied, and if properly made they will perform better than a drop-in spring system or fake eight-way hand-tied suspension. Just make sure the wire is at least 8-gauge and that there are at least two silent tie wires running across and clipped to each spring.

Grid and webbing suspension. Grid (or Flexolator) suspension is less common than other suspensions, but it is available on some mid-priced pieces. These suspensions are made of wire grids attached to the frame with springs on the side (similar to how a trampoline is attached to its frame). Avoid this suspension if possible as the wires aren’t very quiet and customer reviews complain about them breaking.

Webbing suspension is made by weaving fabric or elastic strips in a grid-like pattern and is commonly found on the lowest-quality furniture. While not recommended as a seat suspension, webbing is perfectly okay for supporting back cushions.

3. Cushions

As both the most visible part of a sofa and the part you interact with directly, cushion quality is important. And it becomes obvious very quickly whether your cushions are going to hold up or flatten out like pancakes. Seat and back cushions each can be constructed in a variety of ways, which determines how well they’ll hold up.

Seat cushions. These are typically a foam core wrapped in polyester fiber or down. The foam core should be at least 4 inches thick. (The overall cushion will be thicker since there’s material wrapped around the core.) A higher-grade cushion will have an inner core of individually wrapped springs as opposed to foam. (Imagine a mini mattress.) This offers a firmer seat that will hold its shape well for a long time. Avoid cushions that are either all foam (neither thick nor comfortable) or all down (won’t hold their shape at all).

Back cushions. The back cushion on a piece of upholstery doesn’t have foam. Instead, it’s filled with either polyester fiber, down or a combination of the two. It should be constructed from down-proof ticking and be sewn with channels to ensure the filling will stay put.

Tip: When shopping, unzip a back cushion to look for channels and make sure there aren’t any feathers poking through.

A sofa is an expensive purchase — you want it to be around for a while! With a little research, you can make sure you won’t be spending a lot of money on something that will fall apart quickly.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:00 pm
Bump.

sari00

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 5:05 pm
we did really well at katzs furniture in lakewood... they deliver everywhere, prices and quality make the trip worthwhile, not sure if they have a website to see and order online (prob order over the phone) http://katzfurniture.com/

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:04 pm
Anyone know how Taubus, Sanders, TGI compare? Anything similar? Is it worth it to get a La Z Boy couch? Is it just a brand name? Or am I paying for the quality? How does it compare to other brands like Homelegance?

Thanks!!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:50 pm
Would love to hear more info from your experience.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:56 pm
We bought a lemon at TGI

sweetdimples

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:05 pm
I just saw an ad on Lakewood News Network that Living Quarters is doing phone orders and gauranteeing delivery before Pesach with discounts on all in stock furniture. might be worth it to check out. 732-367-6565 . I also saw a cell number on the ad
646-262-9370 Hatzlacha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics