Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Large angry red mark on baby's back
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:49 pm
My 15-month-old daughter has an angry-looking red mark on her back. It appeared rather suddenly, which leads me to believe that it's a bite. It's raised, looks and feels somewhat scabbed, and has a little dot in the middle that looks like a bite, too.

She had a well visit at the doctor today, but I forgot to ask him to take a look. Is this something I should make another appointment for? It does look like a bite, but it's just big and I suddenly got nervous (even though I wasn't concerned before).

anonymrs

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:02 pm
I would draw a circle around it with a marker and watch it. If it gets bigger, call doctors after hours line, take her to an urgent care, or to the ER. It could be a skin infection like staph or mrsa which spread quickly and come on suddenly.

lucky14

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:20 pm
Call Dr. Office and ask them if you should bring her in to be seen. And yeah like the anonymrs said if it looks like it's worsening call them on their after hours/emergency line.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:22 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Call Dr. Office and ask them if you should bring her in to be seen. And yeah like the anonymrs said if it looks like it's worsening call them on their after hours/emergency line.

We noticed it on Shabbos. It looks about the same today, I think. Maybe a little more scabbed.

The doctor's office is the type that always makes me come in, no matter what. They'll tell me to come in if my kid has a cold. So no point in calling- it'll always be a yes.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We noticed it on Shabbos. It looks about the same today, I think. Maybe a little more scabbed.

The doctor's office is the type that always makes me come in, no matter what. They'll tell me to come in if my kid has a cold. So no point in calling- it'll always be a yes.

Go in!

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:58 pm
Is it hot to touch? You're possibly dealing with MRSA. Go to Doc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:01 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
Is it hot to touch? You're possibly dealing with MRSA. Go to Doc.

No, it's not. Feels like a bite.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:12 pm
Unless it looks infected or she's running a fever, I would not go in for that!
You can put antibiotic cream and bandaid to be on the safe side!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:43 pm
Tick?

mommyfish

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:46 pm
We had a bug bite that turned into MRSA. DD was hospitalized and needed surgery with follow up visiting nurses and bleach baths. Was NOT fun. If it’s growing and there’s fever then for sure take her in. Personally I would trust my gut. If I didn’t like how it looked, I would take her in.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:50 pm
She said it looks the same since shabbos, maybe a bit more scabbed. If it was my kid, I would mark it and watch, not run in. Personally, I'd put high quality manuka honey on it to be sure, but I know that's not something most people keep in the house. We deal with MRSA very often here so we keep it handy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:12 am
mommyfish wrote:
We had a bug bite that turned into MRSA. DD was hospitalized and needed surgery with follow up visiting nurses and bleach baths. Was NOT fun. If it’s growing and there’s fever then for sure take her in. Personally I would trust my gut. If I didn’t like how it looked, I would take her in.

She does not have fever.

My gut is that it's a bite that's a little larger than a mosquito bite.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:13 am
Wow, I didn't realize that Imamother would be worse with sounding the alarm than Dr. Google!

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:17 am
To me it sounds very similar to a tick bite one of my kids once had. It was a large red bulls eye with the bite/scab in the middle.

You should probably have it checked out pretty soon.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:25 am
Notsobusy wrote:
To me it sounds very similar to a tick bite one of my kids once had. It was a large red bulls eye with the bite/scab in the middle.

You should probably have it checked out pretty soon.

It's not that large, just larger than you'd think a mosquito bite would be. It's not really a bulls-eye.

The description you're giving could be basically any bite. And this bite doesn't look like the pictures I checked out online.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:06 am
Can you send a pic to your doc?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not that large, just larger than you'd think a mosquito bite would be. It's not really a bulls-eye.

The description you're giving could be basically any bite. And this bite doesn't look like the pictures I checked out online.

That's good. You should probably have it checked out anyhow.

Gamzeyaavor's idea to send your doctor a picture is a good one. I've done that a few times with bites and rashes

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 8:24 am
Is it a big deal to take her back to the dr?
Is it far, would you need to take off work?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 9:04 am
for a "large angry red mark on 15 month old back" I would call my pediatrician

maybe s/he saw it at the wellness check and decided it was nothing

best to err on the side of caution and call

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 9:12 am
What's the big deal in taking her to the dr? Get your answer and move on instead of wondering and second guessing yourself.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics