Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My kid watches tv all day every day
Previous  1  2

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:55 pm
Ruchel wrote:
If she does it enough to keep him off the tv it will be extremely expensive.

I say gold culd turkey, TV is broken oh no! Let's find something else to do. Expect melt downs and then they get used to it.
I'm not saying to keep him up the TV but it's probably good for him to get outside would probably make it easier for her.
Kids with ADHD need to get outside

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
Unless you pay extra, hulu does have commercials, btw.

I didn’t realize that, I guess we pay extra :-)
It has mid-show, random commercials?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:57 pm
Most of my kids could totally be this way if I let them. We spend a lot of time outside, at indoor play areas, the library etc. If it’s 50 degrees or warmer my 4 year old is in the back yard or at the park. My oldest is 8 and once he learned to read things got so much easier. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:07 pm
The basic, cheapest Hulu plan ($7.99 per month, I think) has commercials before and during. If you bump up your plan about $5, then you can watch without.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:07 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
That wasn’t my point. My point is that when you watch movies, or episodes, whether on Netflix or on Hulu or on DVDs, that is ALL you are watching. I said watching is watching, but not all watching is created equal.

Yeah, but in this particular situation, it's splitting hairs. The problem op described (and that I really relate to, because I have the same problem) is that it's just so easy to let them keep watching, especially if they're very challenging kids. Netflix vs regular TV is just not going to make a difference. Even without the commercials, it's very easy to fall into the "just one more episode" trap.

Queen6

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:18 pm
The endless TV hours are making him more and more hyper... The blue rays do not allow him to fall asleep... You need to get things in your house that he can let his energy out on... he needs to be more physical. Trampoline, Pogo Stick, Large excersize balls Roller blades... This will calm him down and eventually make things easier for you. The TV is making things harder for you. You don't have to spend a lot of money just buy the right things that he can do on his own which let out energy. Stick him in the bath with bath crayons....

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:33 pm
I agree he needs to get outside. Though REALISTICCALY, if a woman has a baby, has rain /winter... It gets very complicated. Especially nowadays that mostly women who send kids out are condemned by society, of course they stay in...

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 2:19 pm
I have a DH with ADD, and one child with ADHD. The other two kids aren't ADHD but difficult kids, high maintenance, high energy. When bored they fight, a lot. They are also bright and very creative. After school, aside from HW/dinner/baths, they watch TV. They all do very well in school but holding it together all day is not easy for them and they really need a long break when they get home just like we do after a long day. I let them veg out and watch Tv.

On the weekends there is no TV on Shabbat but Sundays they watch TV most of the day if we have nothing planned. It is better than having me lose it and them getting yelled at by me, and better than fighting with each other. Schlepping all three around on my own when DH is working is insanely difficult. Right before bed I let them each watch an ipad for about 30 min. I know they say it's the worst thing to do at bedtime but in my house it's the only way to get them to consider staying in their rooms and quieting down.

My kids aren't how they are because I let them watch TV and eat junk food. They were difficult at 2 months old, the ADHD child most difficult as an infant. My two most picky eaters are highly discriminating and that was the case when I tried rice cereal when they were babies! I didn't make them that way and it's not because I give them noodles and chips. Until someone else has experienced parenting YOUR children do not let them judge.

I grew up in the 80's when it was the norm to watch TV after school while eating cookies. Almost everyone I knew did that, and these people have grown up to be very nice, healthy, productive adults.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:11 pm
I know this is an old thread. I wanted to know if anyone has successfully changed their home life and stopped having their kids watch drastically (reduced it severely, not necessarily completely limiting it).

I could use success stories. For those who work full time, how do you handle needy kids after a whole day? Kids who can't entertain themselves and need you to be present? I would love practical tips and advice as well as anyone who has gone through this to give me support.

mirror

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 12:19 am
Children love play dough. If you don't have play dough then give your child cookie dough or challa dough to play with before baking.

You can give him/her a sorting activity. You take a bag of 3 types of beans (lima beans, kidney beans, chickpeas or northern beans.) Mix them all together in a bowl. Tell your child that you accidentally mixed them together and ask him/her to separate them for you.

Another activity is macaroni necklaces. Take half a box of ziti and dump in a ziploc bag. Use the straight brand like Barilla. Take 1 tablespoon alcohol and 22 drops of food coloring. Mix all together in ziploc bag. Open bag and let dry for 24 hours. If you need to dry faster, place them on cookie sheet and wait 2 hours. Cut a full yard of string for each necklace. (It gets shorter after you tie one piece of macaroni on one end to keep them from falling off.) If at all possible, use hot glue to make one-and-a-half inches of one end straight. Have your child string necklaces together.

With small macaroni shapes (like wheels but not alphabets), you can make colored macaroni using same recipe as above, with half a box, ziploc bag, 22 drops food coloring and 1 tablespoon alcohol. Have child glue macaroni on paper to make a picture.

What's super helpful is making photocopies of coloring pages and having child glue macaroni onto coloring pages. They like that much better than plain paper. If plain paper too thin, you can buy cardstock and photocopy coloring books onto 8x11 white (!!!) cardstock.

You can also photocopy pictures of houses and/or Kever Rochel and have child glue beans to the picture for the bricks.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:14 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I know this is an old thread. I wanted to know if anyone has successfully changed their home life and stopped having their kids watch drastically (reduced it severely, not necessarily completely limiting it).

I could use success stories. For those who work full time, how do you handle needy kids after a whole day? Kids who can't entertain themselves and need you to be present? I would love practical tips and advice as well as anyone who has gone through this to give me support.

I have changed things in our house. Since the end of the summer/beginning of school, my kids don’t watch during the week. On Friday they have jobs to do, and if EVERYONE gets their jobs don’t by a certain time, they can watch for 45 minutes. Now with shabbos starting and ending earlier, we might change that to “if everyone gets their jobs done, we can watch a movie after havdala.” My kids are definitely more active during the week, and they are all learning to find other ways to entertain themselves. Hi don’t mind repeating 10000000 times “I am not your entertainment system, go find something to do.” (This is mostly to my 10 year old, but I have occasionally said it to my 12 and 7 year olds too. I haven’t said it to my 3 year old.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers