Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cooking dinner with new baby
Previous  1  2

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:43 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Just wondering how much after a baby did all of you resume cooking ?

Usually a couple days but I enjoy cooking and was honestly super bored on maternity leave.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:09 am
You can cut up veggies and have in ziploc bags. They will keep for a few days.

Meanwhile the night before make sure you have ingredients ready for what you are making. You can cut and peel potatoes and leave in water, for example. Some things can be made the night before and reheated. (like bolognese sauce) Schnitzle can be breaded ready to fry. Chicken can be seasoned in a tray ready to pop in oven.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:19 am
cereals and microwave and husband save lives

DREAMING

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:00 am
I like having some or all of supper in my crockpot when I’m having a busy day or being out all day.

I also freeze soups (just remove from freezer and place in fridge night before) - chicken soup, broccoli, zucchini, yellow and green squash ....

Also nothing wrong with eggs for supper!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:33 am
applesbananas wrote:
Do u have 5-10 mins in the morning to put up a crock pot dinner? Here are 2 favorites.

1. Layer 1 cup rice, 2 cups water. Sprinkle consume mix for flavor. A bag of frozen broccoli, chicken on the bone. On low all day

2. Chicken on the bone or flanken. Potatoes and carrots (drop more time consumming cuz needs peeling and cutting) a can of tomato sauce and water to cover generously. Salt, pepper, garlic

Thank you!!
Was following, and took a screenshot of that.
Sounds so easy and delicious!! yum!!

westchestermom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:20 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Thank you!!
Was following, and took a screenshot of that.
Sounds so easy and delicious!! yum!!

I took a screenshot too! I guess I can do some prep at night when I'm packing lunches. The funny thing is I go to bed before the kids because I have to be up by 5 am, maybe earlier now to feed the baby. They sleep until 8.

MiriFr

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:31 am
applesbananas wrote:
Do u have 5-10 mins in the morning to put up a crock pot dinner? Here are 2 favorites.

1. Layer 1 cup rice, 2 cups water. Sprinkle consume mix for flavor. A bag of frozen broccoli, chicken on the bone. On low all day

2. Chicken on the bone or flanken. Potatoes and carrots (drop more time consumming cuz needs peeling and cutting) a can of tomato sauce and water to cover generously. Salt, pepper, garlic

Yum! Can I add these?

3.Brisket and potatoes:

5-7 potatoes (I do 2 handfuls of tiny potatoes instead so no peeling or cutting)
2-2.5 lb second cut brisket
Olive oil
2 onions
7-10 cloves fresh garlic

Sauce:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c tomato sauce
1/4 ketchup
1/4 c lite soy sauce
2 Tbsp Coca Cola
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp mustard
2 Tbsp beer
2 Tbsp beef consommé
2 Tbsp red wine
1 c water
1/4 tsp black pepper

Peel the potatoes, and slice in to thick slices. Put 2 Tbsp olive oil in the crock pot, put the potatoes in, and set aside (don't turn it on yet).

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a pan. Brown the brisket for a few minutes on each side until the outside is lightly browned. Put it in the crock pot. Slice the onions in half circles and chop the garlic. Put it in the frying pan you browned the brisket in. Add a Tbsp olive oil if necessary. When it starts to get soft, Add 1 Tbsp brown sugar and 1/4 c water. Let it cook on a low flame for 20-25 min. (You might want to make the sauce meanwhile). When the onions and garlic are done, pour them on top of the brisket.

To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small pot. Turn on a low flame, and stir the sauce until all ingredients are dissolved (it's okay if the mustard piecey). Pour it over the brisket and onions in the crock pot. Cover it, and cook either on high for 5 hours OR medium for 8 hours. If you're not going to serve it right away you can switch it to low and let it cook for a few more hours to keep it hot.

4. 1 jar grape jelly, 1 bottle sweet baby Ray's bbq sauce, a bag of frozen meatballs. Serve with rice or pasta (takes a min to make!) or even alone!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:40 am
MiriFr wrote:
Yum! Can I add these?

3.Brisket and potatoes:

5-7 potatoes (I do 2 handfuls of tiny potatoes instead so no peeling or cutting)
2-2.5 lb second cut brisket
Olive oil
2 onions
7-10 cloves fresh garlic

Sauce:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c tomato sauce
1/4 ketchup
1/4 c lite soy sauce
2 Tbsp Coca Cola
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp mustard
2 Tbsp beer
2 Tbsp beef consommé
2 Tbsp red wine
1 c water
1/4 tsp black pepper

Peel the potatoes, and slice in to thick slices. Put 2 Tbsp olive oil in the crock pot, put the potatoes in, and set aside (don't turn it on yet).

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a pan. Brown the brisket for a few minutes on each side until the outside is lightly browned. Put it in the crock pot. Slice the onions in half circles and chop the garlic. Put it in the frying pan you browned the brisket in. Add a Tbsp olive oil if necessary. When it starts to get soft, Add 1 Tbsp brown sugar and 1/4 c water. Let it cook on a low flame for 20-25 min. (You might want to make the sauce meanwhile). When the onions and garlic are done, pour them on top of the brisket.

To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small pot. Turn on a low flame, and stir the sauce until all ingredients are dissolved (it's okay if the mustard piecey). Pour it over the brisket and onions in the crock pot. Cover it, and cook either on high for 5 hours OR medium for 8 hours. If you're not going to serve it right away you can switch it to low and let it cook for a few more hours to keep it hot.

4. 1 jar grape jelly, 1 bottle sweet baby Ray's bbq sauce, a bag of frozen meatballs. Serve with rice or pasta (takes a min to make!) or even alone!

Yum!!!
I’m not very quick in kitchen so for me that would take half hr at least.
I took a screenshot for days that I have half hr in the morning!
Sounds totally heaven and my kids love mini potatoes!!
Ty!

MiriFr

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Yum!!!
I’m not very quick in kitchen so for me that would take half hr at least.
I took a screenshot for days that I have half hr in the morning!
Sounds totally heaven and my kids love mini potatoes!!
Ty!

You totally dont have to brown the meat, sautee the onions, or boil the sauce beforehand. That's just if you have extra time. It definitely makes a difference in the taste, but not a big enough difference that it'll taste bad if you don't do it. I just put all the onions and oil and garlic mixed together in the crockpot, and the meat on top. And then I mix up the sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour it over.

westchestermom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:47 am
Anyone have crockpot ideas with chicken and vegetables? I've done chicken with bbq sauce, beef and broccoli and chicken soup but I'd love some kind of saucy chicken I can cook all day in the crock pot.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:49 am
Some good ideas here
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....98170

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 4:01 pm
MiriFr wrote:
You totally dont have to brown the meat, sautee the onions, or boil the sauce beforehand. That's just if you have extra time. It definitely makes a difference in the taste, but not a big enough difference that it'll taste bad if you don't do it. I just put all the onions and oil and garlic mixed together in the crockpot, and the meat on top. And then I mix up the sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour it over.

Great that sounds much better for the five minutes I have in the morning!!
Thanks!!!

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:22 pm
Fish sticks
Grilled cheese
Eggs
Mac & cheese
Etc

The healthiest thing for your family right now is something less tangible than a beautifully laid out meal- it's your time and energy. A month or two of easy suppers may be the wisest meal plan of all.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:30 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Prepare food the night before that you can stick right in the oven when u get home and then nurse the baby. Also cut up veggies on Sunday and put in containers in fridge to pull some out each day for the other kids.

Put a paper towel on the bottom of the container to catch the moisture and it will last longer

Freezer casseroles are great
Eggplant parm
Baked ziti
Lasagna

Prep your chicken as soon as you but it, before you freeze it.
This way you just pull it out of the freezer and into the oven.

Google search freezer meals, crockpot meals, etc.

When you are prepping Shabbos double up for a Shabbos you are short on time.

Basic freezer things I always have
Schnitzel
Meatballs
Meat loaf
Tuna/Salmon patties
Seasoned raw chicken
Frozen veg bags

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:42 pm
Hi, I am following this thread! Just wondering, when do you prep the suppers? My baby is demanding in the evening and my preschooler needs to be occupied all Sunday.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:45 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Hi, I am following this thread! Just wondering, when do you prep the suppers? My baby is demanding in the evening and my preschooler needs to be occupied all Sunday.

Where is your husband in Sunday’s?

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:24 am

I prep on Sunday nights when everyone is asleep. I turn on good music or a podcast and enjoy the alone time. Its a good feeling when I am done to not think about dinner again until Thursday.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:30 am

The night I purchase my meat & poultry, I season and freeze it, ready to bake. Make sure dh is available to help. It doesn't take long if you're focused.
Then every night place the frozen food in a pan/crockpot and cut up/prepare side dish, no more than 5 minutes.
Set up the settings in the morning [1 more minute (or 5 if you didn't do the prep the night before)].
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics