Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Poultry and Meat Thermometers, Consumer Reports vs Amazon

Mevater

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:45 pm
I like to check Consumer Reports reviews and Amazon ratings before buying anything.

The top three Meat Thermometers according to Consumer Reports, have mediocre ratings on Amazon. Why? I thought Consumer Reports was very reliable.

Do you have a Poultry/Meat Thermometer youre very happy with? Which?

Last edited by Mevater on Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:02 pm
mamaleh recommended this one to me and I love it. You pierce it into the meat, place the meat in the oven, and you close the door over the insulated rope, giving you enough room for the digital screen to sit on the counter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

samantha87

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:13 pm
Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap one which is good at low temperatures, like to measure the temperature of water for a dough?

Mevater

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
mamaleh recommended this one to me and I love it. You pierce it into the meat, place the meat in the oven, and you close the door over the insulated rope, giving you enough room for the digital screen to sit on the counter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

Thanks! (While wearing the DKNY tights from Century that you recently recommended) I thank you again ra mom! :-)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:27 pm
Mevater wrote:
Thanks! (While wearing the DKNY tights from Century that you recently recommended) I thank you again ra mom! :-)

My pleasure! Hope they're working out!

Mevater

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 4:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My pleasure! Hope they're working out!

Very much. (Funny to talk hosiery in kosher kitchen, but Im at the large end of a small, so I bought medium for comfort, and as long as they dont stretch, theyll be good. Theyre much cheaper than Levantes that I always bought. Turns out I see I bought these last year too. I already had them, not sure what size I bought tho, cuz theres no size on label).

Mevater

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 9:36 pm
Does a can opener, a meat thermometer, or an oven rack require tevilas keilim?
The general rule is that any utensil, made from metal or glass, which touches the food and is used for preparing, serving, or eating the food requires tevilah. Though a can opener and a meat thermometer will come in direct contact with food, they do not require tevilah, since they are not directly involved in preparing the food. Although they are useful tools, they do not actually cook or change the food in any way. (See Shach, Yoreh De’ah 120:11.)

If one places food directly on an oven rack, then the rack will require tevilah. But if one only places pots or pans on the racks, and the oven racks never have direct contact with food, then they do not require tevilah. (See Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh De’ah 120:4.)

https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....ilim/

I know I can ask my LOR, but did anyone Tovel their Meat thermometer?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:15 pm
You can remove the needle and cord from the digital screen and toivel, then let sit for a week.

precious

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:30 pm
We were told not needed

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:39 pm
Mevater wrote:
Im using the ThermoPro TP-16 Digital Thermometer for the first time. I inserted the thermometer about mid way in cooking time (was that a mistake?), when it was still definitely raw. The thermometer is beeping non stop from the first minute I put it in the chicken (thighs), when set at the correct temperature for poultry.

What did I do wrong?

I put it in while raw and leave it there the whole time until it beeps at the temperature I set.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen