Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Cinnamon Flavour not Coming Through

Lion

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:33 pm
Hi,
Whenever a recipe calls for cinnamon and I put it in the right amount, one cannot ever feel the flavour. Should I put in double, triple the amount?
What's the secret of having cinnamon and tasting it in the final product?
Thanks

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:43 pm
When did you buy your cinnamon? Is it fresh?

Either way, if you like more cinnamon, definitely add more.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:53 pm
Sniff and taste your cinnamon. If it doesn’t tingle on your tongue or fill your sinuses with cinnamon fragrance, it won’t be good in your recipes. It’s either old or of poor quality. Buy new and pour what you have into a flowerpot.

Twice nothing is nothing. If a seasoning tastes or smells like dust, using more will just give you more dust, not a stronger flavor.

Buy spices in small quantities more often. Store in a dark, cool place, preferably in glass. Essential oils pass right through plastic and may react with metals. Use them up; don’t hoard. Not only do they lose potency, they can also become infested with bugs.

HEviatar

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:04 pm
If youre not already, cinnamon is wonderful when used freshly ground. It takes having a microplane, or otherwise the smallest grate on a four-sided grater. I cant imagine youre doing anything to minimize the cinnamons taste, especially since it really loses flavor over time (doesnt stop me from almost exclusively using the pre-ground stuff, but is something to keep in mind).

On the other hand, some recipes call for cinnamon without desiring its distinct taste but rather its effect on the dish or other ingredients. This is how I typically use it, most often in my butternut squash soup but occasionally in place of sumac if there is none on hand. I doubt my use of cinnamon is totally relevant considering this is posted under desserts, but all the same Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins