Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone leave Brooklyn and regret the move?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:11 am
If yes, why? What did you miss?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:30 am
Yes and I'm probably moving back. I moved somewhere not too far. But I miss the conveniences. The grocery stores are not well stocked, the products are not as fresh, they run out of things quickly, you do not have a choice of companies. I do not enjoy that everyone knows everything about you because the community is so small. People are set in their ways in schools and shuls and don't need to change because it's not like you can switch and go elsewhere. The lack of variety of types of people. Frum clothing like shells, snoods, kippahs etc... is very limited. Prices of many things are more expensive and you don't have options to find it cheaper elsewhere. I actually travel to brooklyn to do most of shopping which is a pain. Also I'm in the service industry and business is harder here. There are more clientele and it's easier to market in brooklyn.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:15 am
So what is the answer with these crazy expensive small houses in Brooklyn? Where should we go with 6+ kids and one bathroom and a tiny kitchen? I can't continue living like this much longer!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:25 am
I grew up in Brooklyn. I didn't really appreciate the complete utter insanity that living in bklyn entails until I was zocheh to leave bklyn when I got married. The absurdly overpriced housing and the insane, completely and totally insane congestion which also cause horrendous parking, can drive a person insane. I've added a bracha to my daily davening brochos that I say every morning. Thank you hashem for taking me and rescuing me from Brooklyn. It's not quite on the level of the jews going out of Egypt, but it's a close second.

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:01 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I grew up in Brooklyn. I didn't really appreciate the complete utter insanity that living in bklyn entails until I was zocheh to leave bklyn when I got married. The absurdly overpriced housing and the insane, completely and totally insane congestion which also cause horrendous parking, can drive a person insane. I've added a bracha to my daily davening brochos that I say every morning. Thank you hashem for taking me and rescuing me from Brooklyn. It's not quite on the level of the jews going out of Egypt, but it's a close second.

Lol

The parking issues deserves it's own Bracha for sure

Batsheva1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:07 am
I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I moved away 25 years ago (I couldn't leave soon enough) All these years later I still feel it's the best decision I ever made, aside from marrying my husband. I thank Hashem everyday for leading me in this direction. I've never looked back.

Sebastian

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:09 am
OP are you chassidish? Do you drive? Do you have any kids receiving services from the city?

If the answer to all of the above is no, you will love living elsewhere. Otherwise, research carefully

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:46 am
Sebastian wrote:
OP are you chassidish? Do you drive? Do you have any kids receiving services from the city?

If the answer to all of the above is no, you will love living elsewhere. Otherwise, research carefully

I think you mean no, yes, and no. Driving is pretty vital out of urban centers (and even in urban centers I'm not sure how many have really convenient public transportation)

Sebastian

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:49 am
seeker wrote:
I think you mean no, yes, and no. Driving is pretty vital out of urban centers (and even in urban centers I'm not sure how many have really convenient public transportation)

the 1st 2 questions kinda go together. If she's chassidish but drives and doesn't have kids who needs services, then she'll be fine OOT. But most places don't have good mass transit like NYC and NYC's services are unmatched.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:50 am
There are things I miss about living in Brooklyn, but ultimately I have absolutely no regrets and feel it's best for my family to be living in our current community. If you have family in Brooklyn you'll probably still go back every so often and you can take care of certain errands that are more convenient there.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:31 pm
It took me a while to get used to the big changes, and I still miss lots of things about Brooklyn, but ultimately I'm happy where I am and don't regret it. Can't have everything.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:45 pm
I have a friend with a small baby in Brooklyn. Small apartment with no erev, no yard, nothing to do and nowhere to go on shabbos. She pays the same amount I pay in lakewood for a 6 bedroom house (she rents I own) she goes away every single shabbos in the summer. Thats enough to make a women snap...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:50 pm
If you need more space but can't afford it in Brooklyn then you have to compromise on conveniences in order to achieve the space elsewhere.
If you need the NYC amenities and want more space but can't afford it, then you'll have to compromise on space in order to keep the conveniences.
That's how decisions are weighed.
It's not easy. Sad I understand.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

I live in Brooklyn, and thank Hashem I live here.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 3:54 pm
I left Brooklyn but I came back and I am so glad I did. I missed my parents and siblings and their families. To me, my smaller house is worth the trade off of having my children grow up with close familial relationships. I also get to visit my aging parents almost daily. BH.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:03 pm
Can people who miss Brooklyn answer instead of the opposite? I asked about Toms River and I got mostly the people who were happy there .

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:04 pm
I'm happy in Brooklyn BH, just miss our friends.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I live in Brooklyn, and thank Hashem I live here.

I took my kids to the ice cream store on Sunday. They have all the regular flavors like vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. Then they have flavors like pistachio, licorice, and some other uncommon ones. You wonder, are there actually people who prefer those flavors? And the answer is yes. A small minority of people prefer pistachio ice cream to vanilla ice cream. And good for them.
It's the same with bklyn housing. There will always be yichidim who actually prefer what others despise. As for me, I thank hashem for getting me out of bklyn with their wildly overpriced housing, share driveways, illegal carports, tiny backyards, and no parking.
I will gladly leave the bracha of all this to another person.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:10 pm
I grew up in Boro Park and we moved to monsey when I was in middle school.

I hated it. Really really hated it and spent every vacation day in Boro Park.

Only now, after my husband and I bought our own home in the outskirts of monsey - a private home with a large green property, do I no longer miss Boro Park. By now I wouldn’t move back.

Ironically, my parents and siblings moved back to Brooklyn (for various reasons, marriage etc), and I’m the only one who stayed.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:16 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I have a friend with a small baby in Brooklyn. Small apartment with no erev, no yard, nothing to do and nowhere to go on shabbos. She pays the same amount I pay in lakewood for a 6 bedroom house (she rents I own) she goes away every single shabbos in the summer. Thats enough to make a women snap...

I could be ur friend in Brooklyn. Except I'm loving every minute with my baby!!!
Smile Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating