Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
School portraits

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:23 pm
I grew up mostly an "only child" so it was kind of a no-brainer that I did school portraits. I'm a big fan of pictures/portraits, they are my nachas, and especially in certain eras in a family when getting a family portrait or even individual shots can be cumbersome (coordinating schedules/interests/bumps-bruises/no-teeth etc.) and no family simchas, its a nice way to commemorate each child's milestones, but understandably the cost adds up, and my kids' school decided to do it right after yom tov this year which financially is not the best time for us. Do you do school portraits?

groovy1224

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:27 pm
I do, but it drives my husband crazy. He thinks it's a waste, especially since we all have thousands of pictures of our kids on our phones.

I dunno, I get such a kick out of looking at old class pictures and thinking OMG remember when she wore her hair like that?? I view school pictures as kind of a rite-of-passage thing, and I think my kids will be happy to have them to look back on one day.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:28 pm
B"H my kids' school does not do school portraits, so I get to decide when I want to take my kids for pictures, and to whom, and how much I want to spend, etc....

I must say, though, that at last year's mother-daughter brunch, they had a photographer do on-the-spot mother/daughter photo magnets...it came out so nice, and I have it on my fridge, DD and me. I will always treasure it.

soap suds

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:30 pm
I've never done them. They're way overpriced! I take plenty of pictures of my kids. I could do a cute school setup and photograph them individually in their uniform to get the same look. Especially since they do so many photographs one after the other, I don't think they put in the effort to get a really good shot. I've seen school photos where the kids don't look so great.
It would've been nice to have a professional class photo, but it's so not worth the price. I also have some photos of class performances where we do get to see all of their classmates.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:32 pm
I pay for just a class picture. My kids love having it.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 2:46 pm
When I was growing up we never did school pictures. My husband was poorer than we were growing up and they paid for pictures every year. Different families, different priorities.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 3:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:
B"H my kids' school does not do school portraits, so I get to decide when I want to take my kids for pictures, and to whom, and how much I want to spend, etc....

I must say, though, that at last year's mother-daughter brunch, they had a photographer do on-the-spot mother/daughter photo magnets...it came out so nice, and I have it on my fridge, DD and me. I will always treasure it.

It seems Lakewood schools don’t do it for $$.
But both my daughters and sons schools take gorgeous portraits and use them through out the year on handouts to parents. I love it. I have keychains and magnets and candle lighting times with their pictures.
Grandparents get pictures mailed when their grandchild is best of the class. And around yomim tovim.
In general it’s fantastic PR

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 3:26 pm
Way too overpriced!
And we all have cute pictures on our phones!!
Not like when we had to develop 24 pictures to get one that was decent... LOL
I don't understand why it's so expensive! (Photographer comes for a whole school they should be paid a group rate or by the hour!)

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 3:34 pm
My mother never bought them, and I was one of the only few that didn't do it.
As a child she would tell me that she thinks it's overpriced, she can take pictures by the class productions, etc and I was okay with it. As I got older (6th, 7th, 8th grade) I resented it (didn't need the pictures, just didnt like being one of the only ones not having it) but it was already how we did it so I just didn't bother explaining to my parents that it was more important than when when we originally spoke about it.
I do remember being surprised that my younger sister was getting it, I asked my parents and they said they had only said no for that one year, and then I didn't seem to care so they just didn't do it.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:58 am
I love them and always do it. I don't take professional pictures and I like to change the pictures of my kids on the wall yearly,so this is how I do it. They only do it for elementary, so that's all I have until. Iy'h when they get married, I'll update them for the ones who already stopped. I used to mark the kids names in the class picture, but like a lot of other things, I got tired of doing it and stopped.

My kids school last year didn't take any. They were closing down, but that was no excuse because the preschool which they weren't closing had and we, the parents, pay for it. I wasn't the only one annoyed. I ended up taking it myself.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:00 am
My kids school sends them to grandparents as part of their fundraising program. I would only pay for it if the picture was especially cute.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:32 am
yo'ma wrote:
I love them and always do it. I don't take professional pictures and I like to change the pictures of my kids on the wall yearly,so this is how I do it. They only do it for elementary, so that's all I have until. Iy'h when they get married, I'll update them for the ones who already stopped. I used to mark the kids names in the class picture, but like a lot of other things, I got tired of doing it and stopped.

My kids school last year didn't take any. They were closing down, but that was no excuse because the preschool which they weren't closing had and we, the parents, pay for it. I wasn't the only one annoyed. I ended up taking it myself.

I would like to add, the pictures are not a fundraiser. They don't have things like that here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics