Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Activities for child that touches Everything

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:28 am
I need some help from fellow mom experts. All kind suggestions welcome if posted respectfully. For a 6 year old child that seems to touch everything in sight. More than the regular, what activities are good to occupy dc with?
Thank you

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:39 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I need some help from fellow mom experts. All kind suggestions welcome if posted respectfully. For a 6 year old child that seems to touch everything in sight. More than the regular, what activities are good to occupy dc with?
Thank you

Occupational therapy

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:51 am
If she touches everything she needs to be evaluated for Occupational therapy.
Does she also touch people when talking to them?
You can give her to play with:
Playdough
Slime
Silly putty with beads in it
Finding things in beads or rice
Orbeez
Shaving cream
Sand

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:59 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
If she touches everything she needs to be evaluated for Occupational therapy.
Does she also touch people when talking to them?
You can give her to play with:
Playdough
Slime
Finding things in beads or rice
Orbeez
Shaving cream
Sand

Does not necessarily touch other people when talking to them.
Thank you for the tips.
How often should these activities be done typically?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:23 pm
She should do whichever one she likes every day as often as she wants. You can also learn how to brush her body with a special soft body brush.
Daily exercise and upper body strengthening is also very important for kids that like to touch everything. Did her teachers ever mention anything to you about this?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:25 pm
She should do whichever one she likes every day as often as she wants. You can also learn how to brush her body with a special soft body brush.
Daily exercise and upper body strengthening is also very important for kids that like to touch everything. Did her teachers ever mention anything to you about this?

Teachers did not point out anything at all. I noticed it on my own. What are good upper body strengthening exercises that can be done easily?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:26 pm
What does "like to touch everything" mean?

Miri1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:27 pm
Sitting on a large ball keeps the muscles in the torso active.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:28 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Sitting on a large ball keeps the muscles in the torso active.
Thank you

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:29 pm
Amother ivory, it means exactly like it sounds. Some kids like to touch everything and are always looking for things to touch or keep in their hands. It's usually a sensory issue.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:38 pm
My child has been like this since preschool for him its a symptom of ADHD. Its an impulse control thing. I did not find that OT helped but ADHD meds did.

Wife1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:38 pm
Try doing wheelbarrow with dc basically kid walks on hands while you hold feet
Crawling
Massage

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:40 pm
Amother ivory, it means exactly like it sounds. Some kids like to touch everything and are always looking for things to touch or keep in their hands. It's usually a sensory issue.

But isn't it sometimes a vision problem?

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:11 pm
Wife1 wrote:
Try doing wheelbarrow with dc basically kid walks on hands while you hold feet
Crawling
Massage

Very helpful, thanks

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:43 pm
My not-quite 6-year-old does this. I've invested in a supply of play-dough specially for her that I keep apart from everyone else's so she can play with it often without anyone complaining about the inevitable gradual decrease in volume. What has been amazing for her are those sequin "machlif" things where you change the picture by rubbing it. I got her a sweatshirt with a large pic like that so she can wear it at gan and always have a way to soothe her urge to touch without anyone realizing she's like this.
Btw, even her siblings don't realize she has any issue and I'm not sure even she knows because I just pretend nothing's off and give her outlets. I thought about warning her gannenet but B"H tried the sweatshirt first and seems okay so far. Unless it's significantly interfering in his/her life I think they're more likely to outgrow it easily that way. Don't ignore it, but don't make a big deal.

Why upper-body exercises, though?

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:32 pm
Deep massages every night to help generally regulate her sense of touch.
Fidget toys or textures as-needed to give her something appropriate to touch instead of random stuff. Textured bracelet for on-the-go.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:39 pm
If you have a Petco near you, go make friends with the owner, even if you don't have a pet. Donate a bit to the Animal Welfare fund or whatever animal charity they have going.

Then turn your child loose in the dog and cat toy aisles. There are tons of safe things to pick up, squeak, shake, all kinds of textures to choose from.

When your child starts to slow down a bit, go look at the fish for a while. It's very soothing and will calm them down for the transition back home.

We did this for DD for quite a few years, any time it was cold and rainy outside, and she was going stir crazy. The Petco people loved her, because she put things back where she found them, didn't mess up the displays, never yelled, and was super cute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children