Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
RED CURRY GINGER SQUASH SOUP

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:45 am
My usual butternut squash soup is the fairly typical one with apples and a touch of curry so I was happy to try out this new contender which has more of a Thai flavor palate. What was nice was that it has a recipe for red curry which can also be used for other Thai dishes.

The red curry can be made ahead and then it's a fairly standard easy soup. I didn't use the suggested Kabuca squash but just regular butternut squash because I got the pre peeled version. If I were using a whole squash, I would definitely try out her suggested Kabucha squash.

I always puree my soups in the pot with a stick blender. I can't imagine doing it any other way as transferring hot soup back and forth seems like an incredible waste of time and energy

I usually at least double soup recipes since it is just as easy to make a large batch and soup freezes well.

RED CURRY GINGER SQUASH SOUP

Excerpt From: Joanne Chang. “Myers + Chang at Home

SERVES 4

Kabocha squash, if you can find it, is one of the sweetest squashes there is. It looks a bit like a speckled green pumpkin, and the flesh is dense and creamy. It’s a terrific base for this rich, warming soup. The lemongrass and lime leaf brighten up the coconut and curry flavors, which in turn balance the sweetness of the squash and spiciness of the ginger. This soup is easy to make and a boon to have in the freezer when you need a quick meal. Use olive oil instead of butter for a vegan version.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter - sub olive oil for vegan or parve version or my new discovery which is Country Crock Plant Butter
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger (about 2-inch knob)
1 tablespoon Homemade Red Curry Paste (page 307) or jarred Thai red curry paste (we like Roland brand)
1½ pounds uchici kuri, kabocha, or butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch cubes
1 stalk lemongrass
One 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
2 makrut lime leaves or grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon sugar, plus more to taste
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste

In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook gently, stirring, until the onions turn translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the squash and about 2 cups water and cook until mushy, about 15 minutes.

Peel and discard the dry, papery outer layers of the lemongrass; trim off the top two-thirds of the stalk, which is also dry and papery, along with the very base and discard. Split the bottom third (5 to 6 inches) of the stalk, where it is pale and bendable, in half lengthwise and add it to the squash along with the coconut milk and lime leaves. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Fish out the lime leaves and lemongrass stalk and discard. Season with the lime juice, sugar, and salt.

Puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Always use caution when blending hot liquids, and be sure to vent your blender a bit so it doesn’t explode. Pass the soup through “a fine strainer. Taste and add more lime or sugar or salt as needed. Add more water to thin out the soup if needed; it should run off the back of a spoon. Serve immediately. The soup can be made up to 4 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.

HOMEMADE RED CURRY PASTE

MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS

2 cups dried red Thai chilies
¼ cup peeled and chopped fresh galangal root (see Note)
¼ cup chopped garlic (8 to 10 large cloves)
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted and ground
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro root, or 4 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro stems
2 makrut lime leaves, sliced super thin, or grated zest of 2 limes
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
½ cup vegetable oil, such as canola

Place the dried chilies in a large bowl. Pour 4 cups boiling water over the chilies and cover with plastic wrap. Let the chilies sit for 1 hour and then blend them in a blender on medium speed with ½ cup of the soaking water to make the paste move. Add the galangal, garlic, coriander, cilantro, lime leaves, and cumin. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil to allow the machine to do its work. Once all the oil has been incorporated, increase the blender speed to high and blend until very smooth. The paste should be thick and free of lumps. The Red Curry Paste can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

Note: You can find galangal at Asian markets, or substitute 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped fresh ginger if you can’t find galangal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics