Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Non Yeshivish boys schools in Lakewood
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:31 pm
Pretty much what we did.
My son is in tashbar and they definitely focus on dress and the likes. Def mixed parent body but trying to keep boys on one path.. (dark pants, dark shoes, short hair, dark yarmulka, no words on clothing...) ytt and kol Torah are more lax in those areas. I cant tell you the education level between the 3, but I think tashbar has of the best English program in Lakewood boys school.
It's Lakewood... Left wing isn't accepted here really.. It's an unfortunate reality. But you can try your luck of it works for you..

amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Change?
I had a friend move from oot to Lakewood. She and DH were mo but he got a good job here.
They got rid of their big screen tv.
She stopped pulling out hair in front.
She said it was what she got to do for her kids education.
They also realized Lakewood was out of their comfort zone before moving in and expected to make adjustments.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:05 am
Bumping this up . What if you don’t get your sons into any school ?

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't know what people do. B"H haven't had that issue.
I guess they try finding out which school they might have pull in, and try to get in there.
Before moving to Lakewood, people should decide whether they are willing to tow the line so their kids can get into school, or whether there is an appropriate option for the family as is.
For example, when we moved from far rockaway, I stopped wearing hot pink nail polish, flip flops around town, and allowing my ds to watch videos online.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:18 pm
Totally agree with seagreen. You need to mentally choose the school you would like to send to, and try to portray yourself similar to the rest of the parent body of that school. Right now, getting into school in Lakewood is survival of the fittest. There are so few spots in each school, you dont want to give a school a reason not to take you. Tzniyus is one of the first things schools look at. I have am connected to some principals in town, and have been asked information about new families hoping to join the school. Tzniyus was a real make it or break it question.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 7:39 pm
Just to clarify. I’m perfectly tznius just trendy . I don’t wear anything immodest and cover everything.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:15 pm
Ohr hachinuch is your school - Great education and the best rebbeim and morahs you will find. Most parents who send there also normally consider YTT which is the most similar comp…working parents mostly from Toms River looking for a well rounded school…

applesbananas

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
Ohr hachinuch is your school - Great education and the best rebbeim and morahs you will find. Most parents who send there also normally consider YTT which is the most similar comp…working parents mostly from Toms River looking for a well rounded school…

Hi! Do u have an in with the school? Who’s school it is? Thanks!

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 2:41 am
My boys go to YTT. Everything else aside, when they opened registration for siblings right after succos, they pretty much filled up. I think they sent out a text saying they registered something like 35 siblings. It's a really small school, especially compared to other Lakewood schools- only two classes per grade, and they keep the class size small, around 20-25 per class. That means that there's like 5-15 open slot for unaffiliated kids for next year.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:44 am
If you don’t get into school just because of general overpopulation- like you are mainstreamish Lakewood and applied to 4 schools and none worked out- the vaad will help you.

If you hashkfically don’t fit in Lakewood, and a school like YTT or Kol Torah is too right for you, then I’m not sure what the answer is. I wouldn’t move to Williamsburg and except the schools to accept me.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you know anyone connected to any of the schools you are targetting that can call for you? Pull speaks volumes in this town.....

What type is Nesivos? (Just a school I heard named by someone recently)

keym

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:27 am
Chayalle wrote:
Do you know anyone connected to any of the schools you are targetting that can call for you? Pull speaks volumes in this town.....

What type is Nesivos? (Just a school I heard named by someone recently)

I heard of Nesivos. I think it's similar to Even Yisroel and Ohr Shraga (someone I know applied to all 3).

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:29 am
keym wrote:
I heard of Nesivos. I think it's similar to Even Yisroel and Ohr Shraga (someone I know applied to all 3).

Right I mentioned it because the other two (Even Yisroel and Ohr Shraga) were mentioned in this thread. And I also know someone who applied to these three Smile. (She's sending to Even Yisroel.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:42 am
I know for a fact that the past year or two YTT is being extremely makpid on the new families they take in. If the mother doesnt dress tznius then they wont look at them. They barely have non sibling slots and therefore its easy for them to be picky on the few new families they can take.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I know for a fact that the past year or two YTT is being extremely makpid on the new families they take in. If the mother doesnt dress tznius then they wont look at them. They barely have non sibling slots and therefore its easy for them to be picky on the few new families they can take.

I truly wonder where everyone is going to end up (the women in skirts a few inches above knees and no tights, for example … Which school could they send to? )

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:24 pm
applesbananas wrote:
Hi! Do u have an in with the school? Who’s school it is? Thanks!

Rabbi Bitton's School.

They do a different mehalech then regular schools (responsive classroom approach)

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
I truly wonder where everyone is going to end up (the women in skirts a few inches above knees and no tights, for example … Which school could they send to? )

I know ppl seending to manalapan and they are very happy.
I’m assuming other schools will open eventually in town.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:42 pm

They may have to open their own schools. I don't think it's fair or realistic for them to expect the Lakewood schools to be welcoming to them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:44 pm
I'm the op of this thread and just had to respond . Got my kids into Tashbar and ytt on the spot because my ex husband put on a hat and jacket and faked being yeshivish. It worked because he he has great yichus and charm . When we came home , he put back on his tight jeans. A few months later my marriage completely fell apart and I moved out of toms river with my kids. Their in a super frum school now bh and completely got themselves off watching movies. Life is ironic; my ex husband constantly mocked the lakewood yeshivish culture that I was terrified no one would accept them initially.

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 1:38 pm

Maybe kol torah?!?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 4:19 pm

A few years ago I met some one dressed like that in Tom's River, we were talking and she told me she sends to Shalom in Twin Rivers there is a carpool from Tom's River
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics