Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What to use...would love advice

simcha123456

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:13 am
Hi everyone. Happy Wednesday

So I’m a first time mother, and I post relatively often here, I’m starting to slowly become more comfortable as to not be anonymous but anyways..

My baby has on and off eczema: behind his knees, and a few spots scattered on his shoulders and back.

They look like ringworm but ONE MILLION PERCENT NOT RING WORM. Just saying it so you have an idea of how it looks

I’ve tried everything!! Dr said moisturize it and if it doesn’t go away in a week, so call and he’ll prescribe something stronger than hydrocortisone 1%

I’ve tried that which I didn’t want to, but I had to
All these different brands of creams, lotions, ointment s, and I can’t seem to get to the bottom of it

Someone suggest cerave, the one thing I didn’t try...
Do I buy the lotion ? Moisturizer? Or the ointment ( the ointment says it’s for diaper rash...)

I’m so upset. But BH BH BH my baby doesn’t even know it’s there bc it doesn’t itch him

Any suggestions of what to use

Should I go to a dermatologist for him?

If so, any recommendations for the Flatbush Brooklyn area

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:21 am
Your DCs eczema sounds relatively mild. I would NOT get into the habit of using hydrocortisone on a regular basis as you will only make things worse, especially since it doesn't seem to bother your baby. Moisturizing twice a day is essential (I use aquaphor ointment, cerave or a aveeno are other options). Don't expect the eczema to disappear. It's not a magical cure. It's just to keep the skin hydrated.

The good news is most infants grow out of the majority of their eczema. Don't let it bother you so much.

Eta: how old is your baby? You can do allergy testing, but the younger the child is, the more inaccurate it is.

simcha123456

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:29 am
Thank you! I’m really not happy about the cortisone, at all. So I’m trying everything and anything to avoid that

He’s Bh 9.5 months

Which cerave did you use? Lotion or the cream? I’m looking on amazon and see both.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:33 am
When my baby had mild eczema I used a cream called theraplex . It doesn’t have any cortisone, and worked wonders.

https://www.amazon.com/Therapl.....ydWU=

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:50 am
2 of my friends had babies with eczema problems and they both said they love cetaphil.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:55 am
For my sons eczema I alternate with Aquaphor and balmex/desitin. He has food allergies and when he eats what he is not supposed to it definitely flares up. I wash his laundry separately with clear all and no downy. No air fresheners in my house. A trigger as well for him

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:06 am
Discoid eczema?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:15 am
Try and keep the environment as eczema friendly as you can. You should preferably bath him without soap, or use an eczema friendly one. Wash clothes in non-bio washing powder-as delicate a powder you can get.
I've tried taking my DD off milk because I was told it might help. She hasn't been as bad recently but I don't know if it really makes a difference.
Also try and keep him from scratching. My DD ended up with a bad infection because she kept scratching one dry patch. You should be moisturising several times a day as needed. If it gets really bad, I found cortisone was needed just to get it back under control.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:19 am
A kineseologist can help you determine the cause

mammale

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:05 am
Try putting vasaline after the bath. It locks the moisture in and is really effective.
Though I personally didn't find it helpful, many people rave about Aveeno.

esther malka

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:34 pm
Seems like deferent things help different people. But, here is what finally helped my son.
Switched to All free and clear detergent and dryer sheets
Kiss my Face soap. A friend recommended it, I found it at Whole Foods. It’s made of olive oil and salt, IIRC.
Aquaphor, I used the one with the applicator, made it easier and a little let messy.
Also, did not let him soak in the bath. put him the dry tub, drain open, washed him and took him out.
Good luck!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:36 pm
apple cider vinegar

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:41 pm
We use cerave moisturizing cream. Sometimes you can find it with the pump top which is the most convenient even if it’s more $.

Our dermatologist said to wash with cerave hydrating cleanser (non foaming) green top I think, every day to wash off environmental toxins that may be causing eczema. She said to do that as opposed to skipping soap every other day which I thought was Interesting.

There is a non steroid cream we were given for our toddler that works really well, eucrisa, but not sure if you can use it under 2.. It can be very expensive depending on insurance. If you haven’t already, go see a dermatologist, they will be able to help you much much more than your pediatrician. Then you can always go back to your pedi to refill the prescriptions if needed (that’s what we do)

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:42 pm
My husband had something similar when we first got married, and he was treated with ketoconozole and an oral medication. His went away (it was mostly on his back), but then after helping him apply the cream, somehow it ended up on my face. I'm told its seborheic dermatitis which is supposedly not contagious so might be an interesting coincidence. I now have my own tube of ketoconozole but I can't take the medication b/c I've been either pregnant or nursing and it requires a blood test to check for liver function.

mammale

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
apple cider vinegar

For exema? Exema is dry skin, and apple cider vinegar is drying...
Apple cider vinegar is good for candida - but it can burn - badly - esp if there are open wounds ( from scratching). Should be used very diluted and along with moisturizer. but I am not sure it is a good idea for a baby.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:31 pm
Just wanted to let you know that if you found wool clothing very itchy as a child, it may be a sensitivity you can pass on to your child. Some creams use lanolin which is some kind of oil from wool's sheep, and instead of helping, it can further the skin irritation. I think A&D ointment is one of them, and some others that I forget.

Miri1

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:14 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that if you found wool clothing very itchy as a child, it may be a sensitivity you can pass on to your child. Some creams use lanolin which is some kind of oil from wool's sheep, and instead of helping, it can further the skin irritation. I think A&D ointment is one of them, and some others that I forget.

yes, same here.
the cream that my whole family swore by made me red and itchy - and it had lanolin.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:20 pm
Are you nursing?
My son had terrible eczema on his face, and the hydrocortisone did nothing.
I stopped eating eggs and it went away (not overnight, but close enough to see a correlation)
One time I accidentally ate salad dressing that had raw eggs and it was so clear from his reaction that this is what caused it.
Interestingly, once on solids he has never had this type of reaction to other foods. Now his eczema is more seasonal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics