Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Not enough storage space

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:46 pm
I'm so frustrated, I don't have enough cupboard space in my house. My kitchen is tiny and the counter space is small + I have stuff always taking up counter space because there isn't enough cupboard space.
In the bedrooms we also dont have much room so theres a perpetual mess.
How do people do it in small spaces?
I have a few kids..

mum22

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:50 pm
I declutter constantly.
I don’t hold onto anything.
The less ‘stuff’, the less mess.

SingALong

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:06 pm
Google Marie kondo she’s an organizer with great tips on declutterring and how to organize stuff so it takes up less space

For example, with clothing she has a great folding method that really takes up less space than the standard fold and keep stacked in a pile like I used to. I actually have empty shelves in my closet now and tons more hanging space after I used some of her ideas.

Kitchen is tough, we need so much since we have meat and milk of almost everything! If I were you I’d go through your kitchen and keep what you use daily/weekly, and try to get rid of whatever you really don’t use, if it’s something expensive and beautiful that you really can’t throw away, maybe box it up and put away in a storage space somewhere? That way your immediate kitchen space has only the things you need and use often,

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:10 pm

Last edited by amother on Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:11 pm
I’m dealing with the opposite problem.
Because I have space, I save a lot and don’t throw out often. Things get messy when there’s space to spread out and closets, drawers, counters, garage all become so cluttered.
I also have to learn how to organize and only save what we really need.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:51 pm
You’re asking for, lehavdil, kol ha Torah kulah al regel achat. For lots of ideas, check out apartmenttherapy.com, which will also have links to other sites, and Google “making more storage space.”

In a nutshell:
1. Have less stuff. Declutter first, then organize
2. Maximize effectiveness of existing storage space e. G. Add shelves between shelves that are very far apart, add boards to widen shelves that don’t take up the full depth of the closet, put hooks or towel bars on closet doors, Fold clothes so they stand up like file folders in drawers rather than stack. Put things in lidded boxes. You can actually store more stuff in boxes than by piling everything helter-skelter.
3. Look for unused spaces to create storage, like shelves or tension-mount closet rods up near the ceiling, boxes/baskets/bins atop, under and behind furniture. Consider bed risers to create even more underbed space.
4. Have less stuff.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:58 pm
2 great items to double cabinet/shelf space

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:58 pm
Which things don't you have room for? There are all sorts of space saving ideas for small spaces. Some examples:

Inner over the cabinet storage for foil and bags, under shelf inside cabinet storage for cutlery, standing shelf inside cabinet for more utilization of space for dishes, over door hooks inside closets, over door pockets for small storage, shower curtains with pockets for storage.

See sample.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....99738

Tell us what you are looking to store and keep organized and we'll try to help with ideas.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:21 pm
This is not for everyone, but you asked how other people with small spaces manage so I’ll answer for myself. We have a dairy only kitchen. It saves a lot of room to have only one set of everything. Even if you could just cut back on one set and use more disposables for that category, it might help (though then you’d need to find room to store disposables...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics