Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o - Tichel-tying or hair-wrapping on a budget

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:17 pm
Well, what do you know? I typed a whole post about tichels on the recent thread, then saw it was not anonymous-enabled. This is way too much personal info, so I am starting a new thread.

For those who don't want to spend a lot of money, here's my low cost version. (I do have quite a lot of colors etc... but it still doesn't equal the cost of one sheitel!)

You can get a cotton (blend) under cap for less than $2 from China. Search on ebay for muslim hijab cap. They come as a tube which I usually sew closed on one end, but in a pinch I've used safety pins. (I do have long hair which I use as my bump in back.) They come in many colors, but you can just do a couple of basic ones.

I have gotten scarves for 99 cents on ebay, though I admit to once spending $25 on one I admired in a catalog that was particularly pretty. I've gotten a few on Lands End on sale, and Kohl's. I did get a few from Wrapunzel on sale, as well a company called Royal Hair Covers in Queens.

Next, I get pins for a dollar or less, also on ebay. (Once in a while I will splurge on a Kohls sale & buy a Napier for $7!) Various headbands, lace, jeweled etc I've picked up at Michaels on clearance. I also go to my local sewing store and buy 2/3 or 3/4 of a yard of various stretchy wide ribbons, velvets, lace, jeweled etc. (I hand sew them wrong side to right side to have less bulk.) I also got a few solid ones from Wrapunzel when they were on sale recently.

But my wrapping style is pretty simple.

If using a headband put that over your head first and leave around your neck, you will pull it up later. I find this can add a color easily without complications of another scarf, which is usually too heavy for my head.

Put on cap (dark under dark, light under light. If using a lace scarf, the under cap can bring in a new color to match your outfit.)

If scarf is very wide I may fold 1/3 under. I then place on head with about 1/3 to my right and 2/3 to my left. I tuck the front under my cap, then bring right side around the back to my left shoulder, and left side around the back and across the top of my head.

Bring up band if using, then tie ends on the left. You can also tie a half bow if you like. Once in a while I tuck one or two scarf ends under the part over my head for a drop more height, but mostly I don't.

Add a pin if desired, often I pin it to the headband to avoid snagging the scarf.

flmommy

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:25 pm
Sounds very pretty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics