Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Name calling & grabbing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:00 pm
My child has been complaining about a friend telling him that he smells. He said this kid smells him, tells him he smells, and that he shouldn't play with whatever it is. He also complained about someone grabbing from him.
Since I tend to catastrophize, I want to hear opinions from experienced mothers.

Should I be doing something more than sympathizing?
I discussed the idea of bucket filling with him, and brainstormed ways to react. ( I think this may have given too much attention to the issue cuzit got quite wild) Most of his ideas fell into the range of violent revenge.( Cut him, pour water on him, put him in the garbage) We role played saying I don't like being called names, and established that he isn't comfortable to go to the teacher ( maybe he does tell her though.. I don't know...) While I know these revenge ideas are just satisfying childish dreams... Also he probably thinks it's funny.. it scared me.. esp. the cutting.. I told him that we don't do to other people things we wouldn't like done to us ( is that too advanced a thought for a 5 yr old?)

Somehow I feel like name calling isn't nice, it's happened a bunch of times, same kid and I am thinking I should talk to the teacher... But that grabbing is just normal behavior for this age, he does it too,and I need to work on it with him. ( Suggestions for that welcome too please!)

Sorry for the rambling! Please help me put this into perspective, and help me guide my child!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:18 pm
I would speak to the teacher, he's very young to have to deal with this himself. He shouldn't be subjected to this daily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers